[PLUGIN, PART, .16] Zoolotac EscapePod v1.2

Zool

Since this is labelled "Escape Pod", I was wondering if a full up one man "Pod" of some sort could be done that would have its own limited RCS, RCS fuel, and tiny little engine with fuel tank; you'd hang it on the outside of the ship, and if everything went to hell, you'd EVA your Kerbalnauts, have them climb in, blow free, and make a reentry burn.

And since I'm a Halo fan, if a Pod was made, could it be modeled after the ODST drop-pod?

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Single_Occupant_Exoatmospheric_Insertion_Vehicle

I'd like the command functionality in a much smaller package... I've been playing around with the "escape Pod" parts but the problem with it is that you're sacrificing your entire vehicle when the pod is used, because once its jettisoned, you can't do anything with it, not even with Mechjeb attached.

Now, if the command functionality of this mod could be put into a tinier package, something the size of the smallest cylindrical Mechjeb or so I could clustershot a group of small, unmanned satellites with a single launcher. Or be able to mount engines on the escape pod so I could make a deorbit burn.

Edited by Lazurkri

I don't get what you mean, you're not able to control your original ship after you jettison the escape pod? That doesn't sound right, because I'm able to separate a pod from my ship and control it as long as a Kerbal is in it, then go back and control my main ship as long as a Kerbal is in that. This isn't really the best mod for unmanned satellites, considering that it requires a Kerbal in order to control the pod (not really unmanned is it? XD). Also you're perfectly able to mount engines on the escape pods to deorbit, I've used them for Mun landings while my main ship would orbit overhead, and the pods can even use staging.

Weird, it works exactly like a normal pod to me =/

ODST drop pod is 1 man, Mk1 pod is 1 man... They don't look the same, but add a few pieces and you can get a functional drop pod =P you just need to bring enough Kerbals with you into orbit to fill all the pods you bring with you XD

You're probably switching focus to the decoupler. After you decouple the escape pod there are three things you can focus on, two ships, and one floating decoupler. Both ships are controllable as long as they have a kerbal on board. The decoupler is just debris.

could you make the novapunch lander pod an escape pod? for more cool apollo like missions

Just copy the part, and change one line in the .cfg file

delete: module = CommandPod

add: module = EscapePod

Edited by Zool

Yup, I had an ASAS module that was right side up relative to the launch vehicle, but attached backwards relative to the upside down escape pod. Thus it caused it to spin like crazy lol. Never tried flipping it the other way, but I didn't really need it anyways, I was fine without attitude control.

Hello!

I've just noticed you've put my name as "Lead Artist" - I think that this mod was made entirely by yourself so my nick should be removed from the first post :) Anyway, I've been playing with new docking mod from Erkle http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/20503-Plugin-Part-0-16-Erkle-Mods-Warp-Capable-Docking-Clamp-v0-3-released which uses a modified decoupler as a docking port, and found out the following:

<rocket config=""><rocket config="">

1.standard command pod

2.decoupler

3.decoupler aka docking port (or any standart decoupler)

4.Zool command pod

5.fuel tank

6.engine

When I decouple a 2.decoupler then the 3.decoupler aka docking port gets decoupled from the Zool pod as well. It doesn't allow to simulate Apollo-like mission. I just want to make sure you know about this issue :)</rocket></rocket>

Hello!

I've just noticed you've put my name as "Lead Artist" - I think that this mod was made entirely by yourself so my nick should be removed from the first post :) Anyway, I've been playing with new docking mod from Erkle http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/20503-Plugin-Part-0-16-Erkle-Mods-Warp-Capable-Docking-Clamp-v0-3-released which uses a modified decoupler as a docking port, and found out the following:

<rocket config=""><rocket config="">

1.standard command pod

2.decoupler

3.decoupler aka docking port (or any standart decoupler)

4.Zool command pod

5.fuel tank

6.engine

When I decouple a 2.decoupler then the 3.decoupler aka docking port gets decoupled from the Zool pod as well. It doesn't allow to simulate Apollo-like mission. I just want to make sure you know about this issue :)</rocket></rocket>

Don't underplay your contribution, you did the diagram with the green circles!

I think I know what's causing it... I'll see if I can fix it.

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem... but EscapePods are not going to be able to play nice with ORDA, they both run debris into a vessel, and are certain to step on each others toes trying to do so. You don't need to use these pods with ORDA though, it includes ORDA pods doesn't it?

Edited by Zool

That docking mod is not ORDA one http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/20503-Plugin-Part-0-16-Erkle-Mods-Warp-Capable-Docking-Clamp-v0-3-released :)

It only uses one docking ring that belongs to ErkleWarpClamp class and has decoupler functionality. The rocket, no mods, KSP 0.16, Zoolotac Pod v1.2, click to enlarge:

mmness.jpg

<click to="" enlarge="">

<click to="" enlarge="">

Rocket: standart pod on top - decoupler 1 - decoupler 2 - Zoolotac Pod - fuel tank - engine

So when I try to decouple the upper decoupler 1 (highlighted), decoupler 2 gets decoupled as well. The same thing with docking clamp placed instead of decoupler 2 - as the result, I can't simulate Apollo mission because I lose the docking clamp.

And I don't want to use other modder's pods because your mod is the only one that supports multiple stages on the decoupled vessel :)</click></click>

I know that the decoupler between the main ship and the escape pod decouple from both ends, and it's actually good (at least from one of my situations), but in this case it's definitely not good. I would think that it would only decouple "decoupler 1" (in your picture), but it's understandable that it's doing what it's doing. What happens if you put something in between those two decouplers though? I would think it would be ok then, but idk how it would affect your ability to dock =/

Like I said though, I'm going to see if I can come up with a workaround in my project, although it might bypass the Erkle decoupler and attach the command/service module directly to the stages below somehow.

Okay... so the problem is basically that the erkle warpclamp inherits the decoupler class

class ErkleWarpClamp : DecouplerGUI

So when I check if the rootpart is a decoupler, it answers yes. I should be able to make an exception for Erkle:

if(this.vessel.rootPart.GetType().ToString() == "ErkleWarpClamp")

I don't have time to test it this morning, but this might work...

https://github.com/Veterok/EscapePod/tree/erkleCompatible/Plugins

What happens if you put something in between those two decouplers though?

I put a fuel tank between docking port and decoupler. When I activated a decoupler, a fuel tank+docking port+Zool pod all stayed connected together, so everything was fine. Then I've tried to decouple a fuel tank by pressing rmb - decouple on the docking port as well as pressing space. As the result, fuel tank disconnected from the docking port and docking port disconnected from the Zool pod as well. So, putting something between decouplers doesn't help.

e5RJq.png

I don't have time to test it this morning, but this might work...

https://github.com/Veterok/EscapePod/tree/erkleCompatible/Plugins

It doesn't work with the same rocket. I've downloaded a file by clicking on ""EscapePod.dll" and then "Raw".

Edited by Shuttle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.