Help building saturn v

I'm trying to build up the saturn v with the new parts pack, but having trouble with the nose and launch escape tower. currently i've built:

Mk1-3  ->  SM-6A  ->  Mini docking node   ->  Launch Escape Tower

However sticking the launch escape tower over the mini docking node looks ridiculous. and you can't even cheat by sliding the tower down, because the SM-6A is wider than it so it all clips through like a hot mess. I feel like i'm missing something important and probably obvious here. can someone help a guy out?

The LES is sized to go directly onto the Mk. 1-3 (or, originally, Mk. 1-2) nose.  If you mount your Clamp-o-tron Jr. directly on the pod, the LES will cover it and look more or less like the original.  You'll lose the little extra storage space in the SM-6A, but you won't have the mismatched LES base. You'll still have space to mount a couple radial parachutes if you sink them into the surface of the Mk. 1-3, and you can lower the LES after attaching it to the docking clamp, to get rid of the gap.

The original Apollo LES had an aeroshield that covered the capsule, and was carried away with the escape tower when it was jettisoned (at partway through second stage burn, as I recall).  We don't have that matching part, so you can't do it the same way NASA did without mods.

I wanted to have a Boost Protective Cover (white fairing over the IRL CM to protect it from the hot Launch Escape Tower exhaust), and I wanted to hide the ugly fairing base texture, and ended up with this:

dHB2ded.jpg

Works great.  I find it interesting that in one fell swoop (tank, decoupler, and fairing textures with 1.4) the fairing bases are now the ugliest parts in the game

8 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

and you can't even cheat by sliding the tower down, because the SM-6A is wider than it so it all clips through like a hot mess.

Sure you can, its what I do.  This is an image I made for another thread, but I direct your attention to the rightmost configuration.  Mk1-3 -> SM-6A-> DockingJr. -> LES.  Use the move tool to translate the LES down into the SM-6A.

qWz2xb3.png

5 hours ago, klesh said:

Sure you can, its what I do.  This is an image I made for another thread, but I direct your attention to the rightmost configuration.  Mk1-3 -> SM-6A-> DockingJr. -> LES.  Use the move tool to translate the LES down into the SM-6A.

qWz2xb3.png

thanks for the screenshots! is that the way its "supposed" to be (aka the way the devs imagined it, as they do with some part sequences). just doesn't feel quite right. will it still launch off that way and not rip your ship apart?

2 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

will it still launch off that way and not rip your ship apart?

Yes.  I use an action group to both decouple the docking jr and fire off the LES at once.  Works as intended. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.