Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot Continued)

What autopilot do you suggest? (that do not cause any problem when removed or added) The only thing I need is cruise control. Target altitude with max pitch and AoA and target speed

(edit)

AAAAAAAAA atomsphereautopilot is to good won't remove it. Non AA user gonna have to fix control surface by themselves! (Or ask me for correct config)

Edited by Mathrilord

Let me Introduce the first of the Valkyrie Series. The Valkyrie 2/126 - 1

Not only is it a little bundle of raw speed but it's engine location and the high mounted wings provides the passengers a great view of the world below from up to a great maximum altitude of well over 6000 metres! Not only this but it comes with a range of 1250 km and the ability to go supersonic for brief periods if needed through the use of afterburners. It's quad engine design means that even in the case of engine failure it also won't throw itself wildly off course.

https://kerbalx.com/Toxictalon74/Valkyrie-Series-2126-1

It comes with the fact  it is the first produced by the Talon Aerospace Company. And comes with the cheap cheap price tag of 1,908,500 for 40 seats!

Best range is achieved within the 1700 to 2300 metre range though further testing may be required, thrust for this is recommended at about 80%. If a speed of 305 or so M/S is not achieved thrust may be raised to 90%.

Apologies for link issues.

Edited by toxictalon74
Fixed Link.

5 hours ago, NightshineRecorralis said:

That's alotta planes!

(...)

I have like 20 more planes to submit and I'm still building new one (flying vacuum cleaner).

3 minutes ago, toxictalon74 said:

Let me Introduce the first of the Valkyrie Series. The Valkyrie 2/126 - 1

Not only is it a little bundle of raw speed but it's engine location and the high mounted wings provides the passengers a great view of the world below from up to a great maximum altitude of well over 6000 metres! Not only this but it comes with a range of 1250 km and the ability to go supersonic for brief periods if needed through the use of afterburners. It's quad engine design means that even in the case of engine failure it also won't throw itself wildly off course.

https://kerbalx.com/crafts/44446/edit

It comes with the fact  it is the first produced by the Talon Aerospace Company. And comes with the cheap cheap price tag of 1,908,500 for 40 seats!

Best range is achieved within the 1700 to 2300 metre range though further testing may be required, thrust for this is recommended at about 80%.

Picture please, link doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, Mathrilord said:

I have like 20 more planes to submit and I'm still building new one (flying vacuum cleaner).

Picture please, link doesn't work.

7D0CC3C735A6292A5D261B35D378ADDF74F7AE97

This is it. During an earlier part of my test flight.

Also link should work now.

Edited by toxictalon74

7D0CC3C735A6292A5D261B35D378ADDF74F7AE97

This is it. During an earlier part of my test flight.

Also link should work now.

Link does not work for me either. It appears you have not published the craft properly, and the link is pointing to the place where you (and only you) can edit the craft.

9 minutes ago, Mathrilord said:

Please restrain your self. Pick only the best of the best for submission. The cue is already quite long. Now if it is really good, don't hesitate to submit it, but if it is just kind of ok, consider putting in a little more work on it, or just not submit it at all. And yes I now the temptation. It is really fun to make the planes, and I probably have ~20 my self that could be submissions, but I have decided to not submit many of them, because I made something better, which would make the first one redundant.

1 hour ago, neistridlar said:

Please restrain your self. Pick only the best of the best for submission. The cue is already quite long. Now if it is really good, don't hesitate to submit it, but if it is just kind of ok, consider putting in a little more work on it, or just not submit it at all. And yes I now the temptation. It is really fun to make the planes, and I probably have ~20 my self that could be submissions, but I have decided to not submit many of them, because I made something better, which would make the first one redundant.

THere's a reason I've limited my entries to 3 at the moment. I have three other PJ-series craft... but I want to see how the first three entries fare before adding more.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

THere's a reason I've limited my entries to 3 at the moment. I have three other PJ-series craft... but I want to see how the first three entries fare before adding more.

Similar to what I'm doing with my 5 planned entries

Edited by TheTripleAce3

I'll edit my post and put an * before the craft I really want to be reviewed.

Also if you need help or want collaboration with my company check here:

Edited by Mathrilord

1 hour ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Ony thing concerning me is that my planes don't get reviews until one month later at least.

And my SST isn't on the leaderboard.

You should see the backlog to work through. You're not the only one who waits for reviews. My planes were first posted back in... March or Apirl?

Also, the records board on the main post is no longer updated, we've moved to a spreadsheet that we're currently working on before we make public.

On 6/4/2018 at 11:30 PM, Box of Stardust said:

@Mathrilord Just saying, AtmosphericAutopilot causes havoc between installs with AA and without AA, as any settings you set on control surfaces will not be readable without AA, or vice-versa, and modifying settings in an install with AA will erase settings that were made without AA.

It's weird, but I know it from experience trying out AA, and wondering why all my control surface settings disappeared, but reverted when I uninstalled AA except for the ones I modified while I had AA installed. 

This is good information! So when a judge contacts you about your planes exploding, you've been using a mod that's not on the modlist resulting in an inability to review in some cases.

That's why, again, I will recommend to make a copy of your install, only copy over the squad folder from gamedata and only use the mods listed in the OP to guarantee judges can fly your planes (though I will admit that I regularly leave a mechjeb module on a plane, but at least that does not make it explode on the runway)

Oh and by the way, I use mechjeb for review purposes as well to see if a craft can maintain cruise and at what pitch, etc. using mechjeb for this allows me to let it fly for much longer (to see fuel efficiency with slowly climbing planes for example) while I watch TV or some such, which means I sometimes have to correct wobbles due to roll authority, but this is not reflected in the review unless it also happens with SAS only control

On 6/5/2018 at 9:40 AM, Mathrilord said:

My flying carpet

Awesome!

Lol never thought it would work: AIR TOWING!

8i8wT8U.png

The Nav-1 (The SSTO in the back) weighs 113t

Next replace the towed craft by an unpowered passenger glider.

100% stock

Edited by Mathrilord

4 minutes ago, Mathrilord said:

Lol never thought it would work: AIR TOWING!

8i8wT8U.png

The Nav-1 (The SSTO in the back) weighs 113t

Next replace the towed craft by an unpowered passenger glider.

100% stock

I believe that this violates the spirit of the challenge, as you're using a reaction engine to gain altitude via the tow plane.

15 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I believe that this violates the spirit of the challenge, as you're using a reaction engine to gain altitude via the tow plane.

Baaaa just keep towing all the way. Goal was to make a different kind of cargo plane where cargo is supported by its own wing and can be passenger (crew cab)

1 hour ago, Boris-Barboris said:
2 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

Is there a way to make control surface not reset when install or uninstall atmosphere autopilot?

Batch-editing save files and vessel designs using text processing utilities.

Windows Powershell should look something like (for the case when you have just uninstalled AA and didn't launch the game yet):

$saves = Get-ChildItem -Recurse "C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves" -include *.sfs,*.craft
ForEach ($file In $saves) {
    $file.toString()
    (Get-Content $file) | Foreach-Object {$_ -replace 'SyncModuleControlSurface', 'ModuleControlSurface'}  |  Out-File $file
}

Paste this code to some file, for example aa.ps1, insert your particular path to KSP in the first line and swap SyncModule... and ModuleControl... if you are installing AA instead of uninstalling. Run powershell, go to directory where you have the script and launch it by typing ".\aa.ps1" (without quotes).

If you're on Linux, I'm sure you'll cope with the task on your own.

upd: and you can restrict it to only one save by specifying it in the first line, like "...\saves\MySave"

Talon Aerospace presents the first of its Supersonic designs, the 4/557 - 1 - P
A large supersonic jetliner that functions at heights upwards of 23,000 metres and will get you where ever you need to go in record time.

Disclaimer : Will not go beyond 2000kilometres. 

For best cruising altitude during its maiden flight to be delivered to thhe KSP centre for your testing it seemed to find itself best at 22,700 where it achieved outstanding fuel efficiency though its highest speed had been achieved at an earlier 18,500 metres. 

Warnings that come with this prototype:
- It handles poorly, sort of like a brick.
- It takes quite a bit of effort to get off the ground
- It's service ceiling is not yet known, take higher than 23,500 at your own risk
- Careful of landing, it does not handle low speeds particularly well(for reasons I don't know as of yet, I'm not sure I fully understand how the new lift system works when compared to 1.0(which is when I last played) )

Oh and it comes for the price of 92,023,000.

This may be a prototype but we may have pre-production variants ready for sale within short time!

https://kerbalx.com/Toxictalon74/Valkyrie-4557-1-Astral-P

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

(Running into getting issues on the download link so image is here too.)

1 hour ago, toxictalon74 said:

Warnings that come with this prototype:
- It handles poorly, sort of like a brick.
- It takes quite a bit of effort to get off the ground

- Careful of landing, it does not handle low speeds particularly well

You may want to rectify these before the judges get their hands on it, because these will be held against the plane's performance and will reflect poorly on the final verdict about the plane. (In fact, you pretty much just told KEA "there is no reason to buy this plane over some other options".)

Fortunately, you still have a few months time to fix it all.

Edited by Box of Stardust

Just now, Box of Stardust said:

You may want to rectify these before the judges get their hands on it, because these will be held against the plane's performance and will reflect poorly on the final verdict about the plane. (In fact, you pretty much just told KEA "there is no reason tonbuy this plane over some others".)

Fortunately, you still have a few months time to fix it all.

I do full well want to work on it further, again the P is there for prototype. I'm still confused as to how the wings have been acting over a few hours of testing too. Producing either no lift at all or way too much. I mean with wings the size they are it should be a decent glider yet once below 90m/s it just drops.

I do full well want to work on it further, again the P is there for prototype. I'm still confused as to how the wings have been acting over a few hours of testing too. Producing either no lift at all or way too much. I mean with wings the size they are it should be a decent glider yet once below 90m/s it just drops.

That sounds like a center of mass to center of lift relationship problem to me. Sounds to me your CoL is too far back relative to the CoM.

Just now, Box of Stardust said:

That sounds like a center of mass to center of lift relationship problem to me. Sounds to me your CoL is too far back relative to the CoM.

They are practically on top of one another and I've tried the wings further forward and further back. Only change in lift I got was when I angled a single section of wing upwards which seemed to trigger lift across the entire wing, same for the tail section as well.

They are practically on top of one another and I've tried the wings further forward and further back. Only change in lift I got was when I angled a single section of wing upwards which seemed to trigger lift across the entire wing, same for the tail section as well.

The other problem I can see from your picture is that you simply need larger/more control surfaces. 

It looks like you have 1 unit of lift surface per ton of aircraft, so it looks like you have enough lift to begin with.

5 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

Baaaa just keep towing all the way. Goal was to make a different kind of cargo plane where cargo is supported by its own wing and can be passenger (crew cab)

My apologies. Somehow I got this mixed up with another challenge. Disregard previous comment on your design. :sealed:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.