Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot Continued)

Unlimited Aerospace Presents...

The KBS-45 Poseidon

AbekTSG.png
Download Link

Figures:

Mass: 35.87t

Cost: 66,508,000

Parts: 134

Passengers: 72

Size: 16.91m x 5.41m x 19.74m

Cruising Altitude: Anywhere lower than 10km

Fuel Consumption: 0.18 Kal/sec

Category: Seaplane/Small Regional Jet

Details:

After running through The Janitors a fully qualified engineer's notebook, we found an idea to make trans-kerbanic turboprops much safer, "why not attach floats to a Turboprop" was written in bold letters. So we got our designers got to work making this idea a reality, and out of that came the KBS-45. Nicknamed the Poseidon after the god of the sea, this jet can function as a seaplane, and as a turboprop.

The design, based on the Katilina, has a central main hull to support the weight, and to side pontoons to keep it upright. Mounted on the wings are two sets of flaps and slats to increase the lift drastically, allowing a Takeoff speed of 50 m/s and a landing speed of 40 m/s.

When taking off from water, remember that you'll need to pull it out of the water a little before it can gain enough speed to lift itself out of the water.

Edited by Agent Awesome

Fantastic looking plane Agent Awesome! Has a nice design. The wings and canards are really cool!

Anyway, may I ask, approximately when is my second submission (The HC-2 Country Hopper) going to be reviewed? I'd like to post another aircraft soon and I'm curious when my previous submission will be reviewed. I understand you guys are busy, and I hope I'm not asking for too much.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, HolidayTheLeek said:

Fantastic looking plane Agent Awesome! Has a nice design. The wings and canards are really cool!

Anyway, may I ask, approximately when is my second submission (The HC-2 Country Hopper) going to be reviewed? I'd like to post another aircraft soon and I'm curious when my previous submission will be reviewed. I understand you guys are busy, and I hope I'm not asking for too much.

Thanks!

From my count it is approximately the 25. Oldest. That does not necessarily mean anything though.

Uncle Carlos Aerospace Proudly Presents:

The HC-3 Dart!

UmMDNW8.jpg

(More images and the download link in the spolier)

Spoiler

U6qGdZN.jpg

inVxGVL.jpg

CHkHNzj.jpg

Download (HERE)

Cost of the Aircraft: :funds:55,199,000

Mass: 54.8t

Parts: 89

Passenger Count: 128

Cruising altitude (read instructions on KerbalX): 17,000m to 20,500m

Cruise Speed: About 995m/s to 1100m/s (This fluctuates a lot during the flight)

Cruise Throttle: Slightly above 1/3rd Throttle.

Fuel Consumption: About 0.90 - 0.30 (This fluctuates a lot due to the way this aircraft cruises)

After the failure of the HC-1 Island Hopper, which used nuclear powered propeller engines, airliner development at UCA (Uncle Carlos Aerospace) went back to conventional jet technology like the HC-2 Country Hopper, and now, the brand new HC-3 Dart. UCA is a company that primarily produced propeller driven fighter aircraft, and bomber aircraft. When a supersonic jet airliner was proposed, many of UCA's engineers thought that developing a completely different kind of aircraft that the company has never produced before, was impossible. After watching several Sci-Fi movies from the 1950s and 60s however, the engineers found their inspiration. The sleek, tailess delta winged aircraft was created (the first few prototypes had tails, but due to control issues, they were removed). The HC-3 Dart is capable of circumnavigating the planet in about an hour and ten minutes with about a quarter of the fuel left. 

The uniquely pointy fuselage of this aircraft was surprisingly developed using the engine housings of the HC-1 Island Hopper. As the material was used as a bearing, it had low friction/drag, it was strong, and had a high heat tolerance (to deal with the heat from the nuclear engines of the Island Hopper). These qualities made it the perfect to use in the fuselage for the HC-3. Modified Mk-1 Cabins were placed side by side inside the fuselage to fit 128 passengers as well as the fuel and luggage for the aircraft. Three very poweful Whiplash engines were used to propel the aircraft to it's cruise speed of over 1000m/s. Because these engines are so powerful, the aircraft is capable of flying on only 1 engine from any side, however at least two is prefered; this gives the aircraft excellent safety. Two engines are positioned under the wings, and the other far back in the tail to reduce noise in the cabin. The tailless delta configuration of the aircraft reduced drag, and allowed many control surfaces to be fitted. To further enhance maneuverability, the wing tips are all moving control surfaces. This allowed the aircraft to be controllable at high speeds, and have surprisingly good low speed characteristics. 

As shared with all UCA aircraft in the HC lineup, the Dart is equipped with a wide set landing gear to make ground handling and landing easier for pilots. There is also a tailwheel so the aircraft is pretty much impossible to tail-strike. 

Because of this, I think the HC-3 Dart is a perfect aircraft for the Kerbal Express Airlines

Breakthroughs with aerodynamic design at Kerbus results in even more absurdly efficient jetliners, the Kerbus K-350-300.

screenshot170.png

https://kerbalx.com/TheFlyingKerman/Kerbus-K-350-300

We managed to increase the passenger capacity of the legendary K-350 by 60%, while only marginally increase fuel consumption. As a result its KPPM is reduced to  0.003. The plane's cost remains very low, at 20,831,000 Kerbucks and 34 parts. As with other bigger Kerbus planes, a probe core and a parachute come as standard.

Cruising speed: 640m/s at 11500m     Range: 6500 km    Passenger capacity: 64

Notes for taking off:
DO NOT use flaps. Set throttle to 1/3. Stage the engines. When the plane is rolling at 35m/s, turn to full throttle. Pull up gently at 80m/s. We recommend climbing at 10 degrees. Turn on the afterburners (AG1) at 5000m. Ease off the climb at 9000m and fly level at the required altitude and speed. Turn back to dry mode and engage prograde lock for cruising.

Notes for landing:
DO NOT use flaps. The plane's low speed performance is much better than its takeoff speed suggests. We recommend approaching and landing at 55-65m/s. The plane tends to bounce on the runway if the landing speed is too high.

Edited by TheFlyingKerman

6 hours ago, Eivuii said:

I've got a question. I'm working on a small regional airliner. Should I enter the jet age with it?

If you want to do well on the economic side, then you definitely should do that. Go for high ISP, and as few and as small as possible engines. Try a few different options, and pick the one you think will do the best.

Explosive Industries-SuperMK1

This is a 40 passenger supersonic jet equipped with every modern amenity for both pilot and passenger. It provides comfort while going at supersonic as the engines are positioned behind the majority of the fuel tanks.

The use of regular wheesly jet engines is useful as although it does lower top speed it  increases efficiency and reduces noise and vibration in the cabin. 

Other perks of the wheesly engines is that they can be reversed either to help taxiing and to reduce the area of runway needed to land, couple that with the incredibly low take-off speed and high ground clearance, it creates a plane which needs a surprisingly short runway.

This plane does not need ASAS or an highly trained piolet to fly it, in fact it will remain level in flight with no assistance even from the computer.

However the real focus of this jet if the amount of fuel it holds and the it's efficiency and range as well as it's gliding capability's.

This plane however being a supersonic jet is also more than capable as a small regional jet , and also as a sightseeing jet with it's capability for low altitude flying due to the wheesly engines not performing lesser at low altitude.

Safety features include reversible engines, engine redundancy and 2 drogue chutes.

The cabins have great views, especially the front one which is equip with our new luxury class furnishings. Oh...and it's own personal SNACK bar!

Specs:

Cruising altitude is around 2500m

Top speed is 363m/ps with 4 engines and 150m/ps with 2.

The take-off speed is 56m/ps

Price= 55,051,000  (will be lowered dramatically in future variants)

Explosive Industries is currently creating a few variants on this design and they will be on show soon. 

Link to craft = https://kerbalx.com/crafts/44685/undefined

pictures=

Kerbal%20Space%20Program%2012_06_2018%20

Kerbal%20Space%20Program%2013_06_2018%20

Edited by Explosive Anomaly

47 minutes ago, Explosive Anomaly said:

Explosive Industries-SuperMK1

This is a 40 passenger supersonic jet equipped with every modern amenity for both pilot and passenger. It provides comfort while going at supersonic as the engines are positioned behind the majority of the fuel tanks.

The use of regular wheesly jet engines is useful as although it does lower top speed it  increases efficiency and reduces noise and vibration in the cabin. 

Other perks of the wheesly engines is that they can be reversed either to help taxiing and to reduce the area of runway needed to land, couple that with the incredibly low take-off speed and high ground clearance, it creates a plane which needs a surprisingly short runway.

This plane does not need ASAS or an highly trained piolet to fly it, in fact it will remain level in flight with no assistance even from the computer.

However the real focus of this jet if the amount of fuel it holds and the it's efficiency and range as well as it's gliding capability's.

This plane however being a supersonic jet is also more than capable as a small regional jet , and also as a sightseeing jet with it's capability for low altitude flying due to the wheesly engines not performing lesser at low altitude.

Safety features include reversible engines, engine redundancy and 2 drogue chutes.

The cabins have great views, especially the front one which is equip with our new luxury class furnishings. Oh...and it's own personal SNACK bar!

Specs:

Cruising altitude is around 2500m

Top speed is 363m/ps with 4 engines and 150m/ps with 2.

The take-off speed is 56m/ps

Explosive Industries is currently creating a few variants on this design and they will be on show soon. 

Link to craft = https://kerbalx.com/crafts/44685/undefined

The picture on the page is not of the craft.

That's your edit page. Publish the craft first. 

Also, state the range of the aircraft. 

7 hours ago, neistridlar said:

@Explosive Anomaly

Range is not required as by the submission rules. Price however is, as is a screenshot of the submission. Both are missing.

Hm. I was just used to everyone stating range since it would be a baseline to test against and as a selling point of the aircraft.

Plus since range is one of the parameters per class, most people just say the range to either show they meet the requirement or how much they exceed it by. 

14 hours ago, neistridlar said:

If you want to do well on the economic side, then you definitely should do that. Go for high ISP, and as few and as small as possible engines. Try a few different options, and pick the one you think will do the best.

So Junos?

5 hours ago, Eivuii said:

So Junos?

As tarebelsheep said. Low ISP. They are also fairly heavy for what they deliver, and you probably need more than 1 bacause they are so small. Higer engine count = more maintenance. Though if you design youre plane so that it can operate safely even with an engine failure, that might outweigh, or at least mitigate, the extra cost.

In general though, Wheesleys and lotuses are going to be your best bet for subsonic. 

57 minutes ago, Explosive Anomaly said:

ok.

Sorry about that, I will repost later today with price and range.

: )

Sorry I'm new so I'm not exactly sure how to post it or add photos directly to it (sighed up yesterday!)

Could someone please tell me.

Thanks

Normally just copy/pasting the image link gives you the image.

Otherwise, when typing a response to smthng, go right above the submit button and press "insert other media" and click "insert image from URL" and copy/paste the IMAGE address there. 

2 hours ago, Explosive Anomaly said:

ok.

Sorry about that, I will repost later today with price and range.

: )

Sorry I'm new so I'm not exactly sure how to post it or add photos directly to it (sighed up yesterday!)

Could someone please tell me.

Thanks.

No problem. Like TripleAce said, just pasta a link. You can host the image on a site like imgur. You want the direct link to the image, the one that ends in .png. And just to prevent any confusion, the post imgur album function on the forums does not work. And you can edit your post in stead of re-posting. Makes it less confusing for us judges when there is only one post. Also welcome to the forum.

Introducing Kerbal Design Bureau's newest in turboprop/bizjet innovation!

The KDB-III!

9CMhMnq.png

eQbsVGi.png

ISoCy58.png

This beautiful creation is the choice if you need to ferry 24 VIP kerbals anywhere in style! With a cruising speed of about 150 m/s at 5000 meters and a theoretical range of 1250 kilometers, this state-of-the-art machine is packed with high-tech features such as:

• Working dials in the cockpit, for added safety!
  • Windows, to see if you're going to crash to see the amazing view from 5 kilometers up!
  • Retractable gear, for reduced drag and reduced fuel costs!
  • Seats! 25 of them!
  • One BIG intake instead of three tiny ones! Bigger is better, right?
  • Mostly working control surfaces!
  • Wings!
  • Three powerful modern "Basic Jet Engines!"
  • An innovative design stolen borrowed from an intern's doodle book during a boring lecture!
  • A sound system (Broken Aux cable included)!
  • 35 parts and three engines to make sure that the maintenance crew aren't getting paid for nothing!
  • No TVs to encourage passengers to socialize and look at the view!
  • Outstanding maneuverability, for getting into those tight locations!
  • Made in Kanada
  • The only plane on the market that apologizes for turbulence!

Only :funds:13980000!

Order yours today, and redefine luxury in the air: https://kerbalx.com/aswe23/KDB-III

Spoiler

Tips, Tricks, and a bit of Specs (READ)

• Takeoff:
    • Rotate at 45 m/s
    • Lift off at 47 m/s
    • Watch out for tailstrikes!!!
  • Cruise:
    • The craft tends to nose down during cruise. To fix this, pump fuel from the wing-mounted tanks to the tail tanks
    • Pumping fuel around is essential to keeping a good steady altitude. Pumping fuel back will usually fix most pitch instabilities

Edited by Kerbal Design Bureau
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (I made a tiny mistake)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.