Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot Continued)

2 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

AUTOPILOT MOD RECOMMENDED!

If you mean AtmosphereAutopilot, then if you made your plane with it, the reviewer will be required to have AA installed, as any settings you have made on the control surfaces will not be read by a KSP install without AA, which means the reviewer will not necessarily be able to fly the plane as you intended it to be (though, we will generally constrain control surfaces to separate axes as we deem necessary).

If you didn't have AtmosphereAutopilot installed when making the plane, then this is not an issue.

Edited by Box of Stardust

6 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

If you mean AtmosphereAutopilot, then if you made your plane with it, the reviewer will be required to have AA installed, as any settings you have made on the control surfaces will not be read by a KSP install without AA, which means the reviewer will not necessarily be able to fly the plane as you intended it to be (though, we will generally constrain control surfaces to separate axes as we deem necessary).

If you didn't have AtmosphereAutopilot installed when making the plane, then this is not an issue.

No, I meant like Kramax Autopilot or Mechjeb's Smart A.S.S. function

13 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Having been working on my own hopper to get it ready before the actual category is released, I've come up with a rather interesting design.

xdPIvDX.jpg

takes 200 passengers on a length of 11.7m and a width of 17.6m. It takes off in about the same time as Hoioh's plane, though for now it does have some issues landing, I've already had to upgrade the landing gear because the runway would literally explode on landing otherwise. Oh and yes, it's powered by 8 wheesleys, and it's a triplane. Certainly gotta say that this category allows for some interesting design work

And you mentioned mine was ugly... :wink:

Ill need to see the back side to understand how you cram 200 kerbals in there. I count 136, but since I cant see the back side, what do I know?

Great work on the footprint though! 12x18 m is really small for its capacity!

Edited by hoioh

9 hours ago, hoioh said:

And you mentioned mine was ugly... :wink:

Ill need to see the back side to understand how you cram 200 kerbals in there. I count 136, but since I cant see the back side, what do I know?

Great work on the footprint though! 12x18 m is really small for its capacity!

It's fairly simple tbh, it's not because there's air intakes on there that there isn't a cabin behind it. There always is! The backside has 4 extra fuel tanks on the lower level with engines on it and 4 engines above that without the extra fuel. I'll edit this post later with a picture of it. 

hTfKnsO.jpg

Edited by panzerknoef

I finally fixed my computer! (Thanks Microsoft and Windows Update)

Habu Industries Presents:

The RJ-85: Medium Haul Business Liner

ppZMWWu.jpg

A STOL craft suitable for feeder liner service between major cities that even economy passengers will love!

Main notes:

• Take off @ 50m/s and absolutely no sooner.
  • Landing speeds 45m/s-65m/s with flaps down. Higher or lower is possible at the risk of structural damage and passenger complaints.
  • Flaps: AG2+3, Airbrakes: AG1
  • We didn't think thrust reversers were necessary, but they can be activated and assigned an action group
  • Cruise at 7000m and 210m/s, with an estimated range of 2800km.
  • Seats a total of 96 passengers
  • Due to a bug in loading, the starting flap deploy directions may have to be adjusted prior to flight. There should also be an autostrut for the horizontal stabilizer to the heaviest part but it refuses to save.

When Keastern Airlines ceased operations, we at Habu Industries could see why. They were relying on aging, unreliable jets to serve their most ludicrous routes. We don't want to see KEA suffer the same fate, so, after a long caffeine marathon by our designers and engineers, who for the first time worked together seamlessly, we developed the RJ-85. Featuring 4 state-of-the-art turbofan engines for reliability and safety, a high wing for great cabin views, and low landing gear for the ease of our passengers, the RJ-85 is the perfect medium haul liner to complement any airline.

The Islander/Trislander: Bush Aircraft for Remote Airfields

rUfUchk.jpg

toI4Jf0.jpg

A bush style aircraft with all the characteristics!

Main notes:

• There is no dedicated altitude to fly at for the Islander, but we recommend flying under 2000m.
  • The Trislander flies at 2000-3500m
  • Seat 18 and 26 respectively.
  • Take off @ 35m/s (Islander) and 42m/s (Trislander). Release brakes only after moving at 1m/s.
  • Both have priority seating in the forward bay, as well as a dedicated passenger entryway.
  • Extensive and powerful flaps enable strong short field performance (AG 2+3)
  • Cruise at 80m/s and 85m/s respectively means very little engine noise but still getting where you want to go.
  • A pontoon version is in the works and may be released if enough interest is gained.
  • Landings are best performed between 40m/s and 30m/s with flaps down.
  • Estimated range of 1000km and 900km respectively

We needed it, so we though KEA might need it too! Who doesn't need a rugged bush plane to service remote airfields, perform S&R missions, or buzz towers around airports? Both have extended fuel tanks to perform long flights to either pole, or for many short hops around island chains. The possibilities are endless! Performance can be pushed if the cruising speed of 80m/s is too slow, but Habu Industries does not guarantee structural rigidity at speeds above 120m/s.

Edited by NightshineRecorralis

I was completely set to release a series of medium sized, extremely low cost airliners today. However, for some reason the kraken seems to have taken hold inside their unretractable landing gears which has pretty much turned them from being viable and decent enough planes to unusable bouncy castles (anyone else having this issue as well? because otherwise I might just have to do a fresh install). As that entire project is now indefinitely on hold, I'll release a different little plane which isn't experiencing any problems.

KnoefCo Aerospace present its first seaplane:

The CL-510

ZNKEblT.jpg 

The CL-510 is a pocket seaplane, it's 7.6m wide and 8.0m long, but don't let its size fool you. It's a very competent aircraft. The passenger count is only 16, which can be expected with the size that it has. The 510 takes off at a lowly 35m/s on both ground and water. It can reach these speeds fairly quickly thanks to the 2 Juno engines that it is fitted with. You may believe us, 2 Junos are more than enough to power a plane with a mass of 6.2 tons. The engines are also capable of propelling the aircraft up to a cruising speed of 270m/s. The placement of the engines below the actual craft made for some interesting adaptations though. The engine now operates as a sort of pump-jet while under water, this way it can run here without being destroyed by water, once it's out of the water, it switched to normal jet mode, but you won't notice any of this. Cruising is recommended at 3000m of height, here it will have a fuel consumption of 0.09, combined with a fuel capacity of 200 it gives the CL-510 a range of roughly 900km. Part count of the little plane sits at a reasonable 29.

So what is the price for all this? It costs 10.550.000, which we think is a rather good price.

What are you waiting for, order yours now! https://kerbalx.com/Panzerknoef/CL-510

Edited by panzerknoef

3 minutes ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

More economic seaplanes coming...

screenshot167.png

That looks like a pretty neat plane right there 

On another note, I've been working on something that might take the crown from @neistridlar's Slinky 152 for most ridiculous looking aircraft. I won't be getting a lower cost per seat though, but still... Look at it, just look at it!

yWWdslF.jpg

The first Hopper aircraft officially entered is.... the GAI Box

A36Owoc.png

Carrying 280 passengers with the ability using afterburners to quickly accelerate and take off, we think this plane will be a winner.

With a length of 11.1m by 10.1 wide, this thing can climb at 70 degrees so it can clear tall buildings in the area.
The range is approximately 780km, which it will accomplish at a rate of 250m/s, altitude approx 2,000m. Comfort is minimal but for such short flights, do you really need better?
AG1 toggles afterburners, and for reference the parachute is NOT INTENDED for emergency use, doing so will result in an aircraft doomed to descend vertically at 35m/s.
https://kerbalx.com/BristolBrick/GAI-Box

P.S. If I'm now OP, (should have asked a while ago) we're playing companies so is that the pretend equivalent of Gawain Aeroplane Industries buying out Kerbal Express Airlines or something? Just thinking if it is a name change might be in order. (GAI is a stupid acronym anyway)

9 minutes ago, SLAMOVNIK989 said:

It has been almost a month and I see no review on my plane.

Could some of judges do it in upcoming days, please?

There's currently a queue of more than 90 aircraft, it will probably take time. I'll see if I can do anything though

2 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

That looks like a pretty neat plane right there 

On another note, I've been working on something that might take the crown from @neistridlar's Slinky 152 for most ridiculous looking aircraft. I won't be getting a lower cost per seat though, but still... Look at it, just look at it!

yWWdslF.jpg

It looks like the side of a highway.

Or pretty much a train that has too much propulsion.

Edited by Box of Stardust

With Kerbus churning out fuel efficient designs left an rigth, Management at Neist Air decided it was time to put them in their place, and ordered the engineers to make the most fuel efficient plane to date. The result? A 200 seat supersonic jumbo with the name of NA Slinky Tripple 200. The aircraft offers a dry super cruise at 10.7km altitude with a KPPM of 0.0022 all for the price of merely 44 mil.

eFCVFIC.png

Download: https://kerbalx.com/neistridlar/NA-Slinky-tripple-200P

Technical specifications:

• Price: :funds:44,104,000
  • Fuelcapacity: 1,200 Kallons
  • Cruising Speed: 620m/s
  • Cruising Altitude: 10.7km
  • Fuel Burn Rate: 0.17Kallons/second
  • Range: 4,370km
  • KPPM: 0.0022
  • Takeoff and landing speed: 65m/s
  • Optimal Climb speed: 250m/s

Pilots handbook:

The aircraft has been fitted with flaps. These are not intended for takeoff, but are primarily intended to help the aircraft slow down for landing. Take off could not be simpler, just throttle up and pull back on the stick til the plane lifts off, Tailstrikes should be practically impossible. In the air accelerate to the recommended climb speed and pitch up to ~15 degrees. Gradually reduce pitch to maintain speed. At 5km, engage afterburners and climb at 10 degrees, gradually leveling off, aiming for level flight at cruise parameters. Once sufficient speed is reached turn off afterburners. Once the aircraft is stabilized in cruise the autopilot may be set to pro grade for effortless cruising. 

1 hour ago, Box of Stardust said:

It looks like the side of a highway.

Or pretty much a train that has too much propulsion.

It's pretty much is a train with wings... Which somehow managed to take to the skies. You can't imagine how surprised I was when the thing took off and flew without wobbling 

21 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

I was completely set to release a series of medium sized, extremely low cost airliners today. However, for some reason the kraken seems to have taken hold inside their unretractable landing gears which has pretty much turned them from being viable and decent enough planes to unusable bouncy castles (anyone else having this issue as well? because otherwise I might just have to do a fresh install). As that entire project is now indefinitely on hold, I'll release a different little plane which isn't experiencing any problems.

-- snip --

I've had landing gear issues as well, it happens when mods interfere with each other. Had to start working in a clean install with a bare minimum of mods and avoid mods with alternative landing gear. The standard squad gears never failed on me though, it's always been aftermarket mod gears that have, but that doesn't mean it's impossible ofcourse

31 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Do you all mean bouncing on spawn or something? Do you have WorldStabilizer installed?

Yeah they bounce on spawn, it's only with the LY-01 fixed landing gears though. And only started occurring after that patch we had recently. I don't have WorldStabilizer installed, should I? But I guess I'll do a fresh install then

10 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

Yeah they bounce on spawn, it's only with the LY-01 fixed landing gears though. And only started occurring after that patch we had recently. I don't have WorldStabilizer installed, should I? But I guess I'll do a fresh install then

oh, I got that all the time, I had BOOM earlier, oh and blocked gears, as in, the brakes were on all the time and I couldn't switch them off

Edited by hoioh

15 minutes ago, hoioh said:

oh, I got that all the time, I had BOOM earlier, oh and blocked gears, as in, the brakes were on all the time and I couldn't switch them off

Sounds like I should be happy that at least my gears aren't blocked... 

mQ3BgnA.jpg

I think the actual model has an issue though. Don't think these wheels should be hanging out beyond their actual axles. Guess I can just replace all the cheap landing gears... Or keep them on, the planes still fly after all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.