Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot Continued)

New airplane release to market

Aerobus Industries is proud to present you new Multi-Purpose Medium Regional Jet Airplane Aerobus A420

VdHRGeH.png

Plane stats:

Price: 107,372,000

Range: 4400km at passengers only configuration/3800km at combined configuration

Cruise parameters: 265m/s @ 4000m ASL

Takeoff speed: 45m/s

Landing speed: 40-60m/s

Stall speed: 30m/s

Capacity: 80 passengers and/or 25 tonnes of cargo

This majestic airplane comes with unconventional wing shape and incredible CoG and CoL placement, having CoL just meter behind CoG, resulting in high manoeuvrability, and cargo transport ability.

At first, we have been thinking of making such a plane with 7500km range, which would be too much and wouldn't meet MRJA requirements, so we came with cutting it on 4500km.

Action groups: 1 for engines start/stop, 2 for reversers.

Take-off: Accelerate to 40m/s, then pull up until you are off the ground.

Climbing to CA: Keep full throttle and angle of 10 degrees, until you reach 3000m, at which you may lower angle to decrease climb rate and achieve cruising speed.

Cruising: At cruising level, plane has tendency to climb up to higher altitudes (5000m+) at which speed falls under 200m/s, but still keeps plane at low AoA and stable position.

Descending: Similar to climbing, but with 1/3 to idle throttle, altitude 3000m does not apply here.

Landing: Landing at 40-60m/s range is optimum together with descend speed under 5m/s, after touchdown, brakes and reverses shall be activated. Plane shall stop within 1000m since touchdown.

Safety notes: Due to very strong pitch, plane is capable of pulling 5-6Gs above 100m/s, under 100m/s overload falls to 2-3Gs, after takeoff, we recommend limiting pitch authority limit to 35%.

If plane is slow enough and has high AoA, the stall is not recoverable or almost not recoverable (bellow 25m/s with 30+ degrees of AoA)

Aerobus Industries hope you will enjoy our new airplane, while carrying cargo as well.

SLAMOVNIK989, CEO of Aerobus Industries.

Edited by SLAMOVNIK989
Only image have been posted while submitting, text have been added.

Just a final report update on experimentation with the scaled down Goliath engine.

qOYOKs1.png

On the same aircraft with roughly 2200 kallons of fuel, using identical twin-jet configurations:

STRIDE; 1.8m Goliath: 255m/s (0.13 burn) @ 7300m = 4300km OR 220m/s (0.11 burn) @ 6500m = 4400km

Lotus: 219m/s (0.10 burn) @ 6400m = 4800km

Wheesley: 254m/s (0.15 burn) @ 7200m =  4200km (this is also with an additional 300 units of fuel, for a total of 2500)

So STRIDE is superior to the Wheesley in every way, and costs 300 less than the Lotus. However, the STRIDE's advantage over the Lotus is its speed and cost, which is offset with worse fuel consumption. The STRIDE can barely make the 0.10 burn rate consistently while at a 220m/s cruise like the Lotus; it's probably fair to call it a 0.105 burn rate, putting it at 4600km range.

However, in real life, fuel efficiency is the progression being worked towards, so... well, maybe in the 1970s-ish pastiche of kerbal-land, "faster is better" probably has a place, but I don't know. These are the values I have, and I'm left to believe that the STRIDE is no more of a better engine than the Lotus is, at least by a significant margin, trading off some fuel efficiency for a higher speed limit. While a plane powered by STRIDEs will make the speed recommendation/requirement, they will lose out to an equivalent plane in KPPM and lifetime cost to a Lotus-powered plane.

And Wheesleys... just suck.

2 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

REVIEW PAUSED?

A bit slow, work is more important at the moment and for fun and flavour I'm planning a full story mode Duna base planning mission for another topic, but that's just in the planning phase, once that starts I'll periodically review some planes in between within the same storyline. It's going to be EPIC!

Just now, hoioh said:

A bit slow, work is more important at the moment and for fun and flavour I'm planning a full story mode Duna base planning mission for another topic, but that's just in the planning phase, once that starts I'll periodically review some planes in between within the same storyline. It's going to be EPIC!

What flavour? Vanilla or mixed (modded)?

I was working on a luxury super jumbo with full Mk3 cabins, but I had to scrap it. I managed to get it in the air and do some turns without ripping the wings off, but it was about as fast as a glacier. On landing I destroyed about half the runway. Plus it would have cost 1.8 billion dollars.

7 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

REVIEW PAUSED?

I'm a bit burnt out on this whole reviewing thing. At 36 reviews now it is getting kind of repetitive I feel. I still try to get one out every once it a while, but it is taking much more time these days, so don't expect me to churn them out like I used to.

12 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

REVIEW PAUSED?

I'm on holiday, and as others mentioned, after a while it gets a bit repetitive and boring. Was wondering if we could do a "take-one-leave-one" system where one has to actually put out a review if they want to submit an aircraft. Perhaps could only go into effect from on your second submission, that way we'll probably get less submissions, but also more reviews. People who don't go by these rules would simply not get their planes judged.

Thoughts on this? 

6 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

I'm on holiday, and as others mentioned, after a while it gets a bit repetitive and boring. Was wondering if we could do a "take-one-leave-one" system where one has to actually put out a review if they want to submit an aircraft. Perhaps could only go into effect from on your second submission, that way we'll probably get less submissions, but also more reviews. People who don't go by these rules would simply not get their planes judged.

Thoughts on this? 

I'd crash every other plane I come across because of my poor piloting skill lol

7 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Was wondering if we could do a "take-one-leave-one" system

I have been thinking a lot about this. There are a few downsides that I don't like about it. Not everyone is very familiar with the "history" of the challenge, and so would not have a good baseline to compare against, so verdicts would be all over the place. Also, you don't have to look very hard to find lots of confusion about the rules and stuff for the challenge submissions. Getting everyone to even test simple things like rang correctly seems like quite the task, I mean, even the ones of us that have been doing it for a while still don't always get the same results. I mean, I've seen plenty of submissions that got their range calculations so wrong they did not even resemble anything even close to the real numbers, like off by a factor of 10! Also not everyone is cut out for writing, and especially for people who's English is not so good this becomes extra difficult.

That said though, I do think it is a good idea to at least encourage people that make large amounts of submissions to at least try to offset their contribution to the queue.

1 hour ago, SLAMOVNIK989 said:

I just would like to know current number of planes on review queue, as Aerobus Industries has 3 other airplanes ready for market release and airline companies testing.

102 submissions in the queue. Some submissions contain multiple planes.

On 7/30/2018 at 6:47 AM, Joseph Kerman said:

REVIEW PAUSED?

Honestly my excuse is work. Having to work night shift, then come home and sleep most of the day just to go back in... Yeah. Fun. NOT! thankfully I have the next two days off. 

16 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I'm a bit burnt out on this whole reviewing thing. At 36 reviews now it is getting kind of repetitive I feel. I still try to get one out every once it a while, but it is taking much more time these days, so don't expect me to churn them out like I used to.

That is pretty-much why I haven't done any recently either. That and a busier schedule than a few months ago means I will probably not do that much.

5 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I have been thinking a lot about this. There are a few downsides that I don't like about it. Not everyone is very familiar with the "history" of the challenge, and so would not have a good baseline to compare against, so verdicts would be all over the place. Also, you don't have to look very hard to find lots of confusion about the rules and stuff for the challenge submissions. Getting everyone to even test simple things like rang correctly seems like quite the task, I mean, even the ones of us that have been doing it for a while still don't always get the same results. I mean, I've seen plenty of submissions that got their range calculations so wrong they did not even resemble anything even close to the real numbers, like off by a factor of 10! Also not everyone is cut out for writing, and especially for people who's English is not so good this becomes extra difficult.

That said though, I do think it is a good idea to at least encourage people that make large amounts of submissions to at least try to offset their contribution to the queue.

Yeah I do agree with you, the thing has plenty of issues with it, but perhaps it could be a baseline for something better which we can implement at some time... People who do submit a lot of planes should really be encouraged to indeed offset their own contribution though, I'm very much in favor of that... I mean, everyone wants their plane judged and we're losing a lot of time reviewing planes from the same people while plenty of others are waiting in line... Guess we'll need some more time to think this one through 

2 hours ago, neistridlar said:

102 submissions in the queue. Some submissions contain multiple planes.

Wow, that's a lot. Well I might be a n00b around here, but I've been active over on r/KerbalSpaceProgram for a while. I have a background in game QA, and you can see my writing style on some of my Imgur KSP albums:

Flying dodecahedron, anyone?

The Katar and the Kraken

Twin-Boar Efficiency challenge

Merry Kerbmas!

35 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

Yeah I do agree with you, the thing has plenty of issues with it, but perhaps it could be a baseline for something better which we can implement at some time... People who do submit a lot of planes should really be encouraged to indeed offset their own contribution though, I'm very much in favor of that... I mean, everyone wants their plane judged and we're losing a lot of time reviewing planes from the same people while plenty of others are waiting in line... Guess we'll need some more time to think this one through 

Well I've paid my dues. I've added a net amount of... 5 or 6 planes after this time, offsetting a lot of the submissions I made.

Since there's not much others that want to step up and judge, maybe we should just call an official hold for all the judges to not feel obligated to do reviews for a while. I mean, I know we've just plain haven't, but to place a stop in an official capacity for a month or two might help.

24 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Wow, that's a lot. Well I might be a n00b around here, but I've been active over on r/KerbalSpaceProgram for a while. I have a background in game QA, and you can see my writing style on some of my Imgur KSP albums:

Flying dodecahedron, anyone?

The Katar and the Kraken

Twin-Boar Efficiency challenge

Merry Kerbmas!

If you want to help and think you're up to the task, we'll take any we can get!

I have one last review I signed up to do by the way; I'll get that out of the way later, or tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Wait, what am I getting into?

Lots of hours off fun, flying other peoples creations, and writing about how bad they are ;). Seriously though, I recommend you start by reading a bunch of the previous reviews, and testing out some of the planes your self, to kind of get a feel for how the judging is done. You may also pick a previously reviewed submission and make an unofficial test review to practice. Unless someone has already done so, I'll send you some more info by PM if you really want to do this.

1 hour ago, panzerknoef said:

I'm currently in the process of building a lot of excel for the duna architecture challenge, so I feel like doing some more of that later this week and build a better sheet. I'm just afraid that I might take over too many decissions and I do not consider myself part of the OP at this time. (That may change though)

But I'll bind myself to make a suggestion for the lot of judges to take some pot shots at within a week so as to get the flow going again in regards to developing a judging system.

(The recent extremely hot wheather in europe can't have helped much for the flow either, at least it's cooled down a bit here. Still hot, but no longer the kind of hot that prevents the brain from functioning properly.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.