Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot Continued)

14 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

How close is my plane to being reviewed?

It seems to have been posted on page 28. There is about 10 or so left before page 20, then an other 10 before page 28. Now it seems I am the only one fixated on doing the old ones first, so it's any ones guess. But if no one else gets back to reviewing, I would expect I will get to it in a months time or so.

15 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Nope, 5500 meters based off of KSPs altimeter. 

And all I did to calculate the fuel burn rate was take the expected engine fuel burn time. 

I was referring to this:

12 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

and found that the aircraft's max cruising altitude is almost 9000 feet,

Anyways your submission looks much better now.

Just now, neistridlar said:

It seems to have been posted on page 28. There is about 10 or so left before page 20, then an other 10 before page 28. Now it seems I am the only one fixated on doing the old ones first, so it's any ones guess. But if no one else gets back to reviewing, I would expect I will get to it in a months time or so.

I was referring to this:

Yes, that is the MAX altitude, but I forgot to say Meters. :/ 

3 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

I was referring to this:

Bu tI also posted it first in this thread, if that makes any difference

2 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

Bu tI also posted it first in this thread, if that makes any difference

The review cue is not even updated for this thread yet, I don't think it will make any difference. Patience my dear, there will come a time for everyone :wink:.

The review cue is not even updated for this thread yet, I don't think it will make any difference. Patience my dear, there will come a time for everyone :wink:.

Ok. I just really like my entry and am wondering how it does

Also I saw some cargo planes, can I enter a cargo plane?

1 minute ago, RedPandaz said:

Ok. I just really like my entry and am wondering how it does

Also I saw some cargo planes, can I enter a cargo plane?

We are not looking for cargo planes, but if it is too good to pass, we will probably get some. It has certainly happened before. In fact there has been many submissions that do not meet any requirements, they still get a review. 

We are not looking for cargo planes, but if it is too good to pass, we will probably get some. It has certainly happened before. In fact there has been many submissions that do not meet any requirements, they still get a review. 

I have one that is 13000 tons. Don't ask how I got it to fly, but I feel the review would be quite amusing

On the bright side, it can carry quite a bit of cargo

Edited by RedPandaz

Test Pilot Review: @CrazyJebGuy  GAI Cool Corporate Jet 

IFk9iwE.png

Figures as Tested: 

• Price: :funds:19,340,000 
  • Fuel: 580 Kallons 
  • Cruising Speed: 555m/s 
  • Cruising Altitude: 9,000m 
  • Fuel Burn Rate: 0.19 Kallons/sec 
  • Range: 1,700km 

Review: 

The name really says it all. But this would not be much of a review if we left it at that. We were not able to able to take off from the runway below 60m/s on the runway without also losing both engines, however with a little ingenuity in the form of a ramp, we were able to take off as slowly as 40m/s. Regardless this thing accelerates so fast it does not really matter. We also found that the plane could take off from water at 60m/s. And all this is in dry mode. We did not even bother testing take offs in wet mode, we don't think it will be necessary 

In the air this aircraft has superb manoeuvrability and speed. We were able to push the airframe as far as 65.7Gs without any signs damage! The test pilots also found it quite fun to buzz the tower over and over, at Mach 3! Well, the aircraft can reach 1022m/s at 800m, but only for a brief time. The maintenance department was not overly impressed though, replacing all those windows will not be cheap. At 700 meters we were able to cruise in dry mode at 745m/s, though the best fuel economy we found to be at 9000m and 555m/s. Still the fuel economy of this thing is at best abysmal, and at worst amusingly bad. 

The landing gear was found to be rather quite up to the task, as the craft was stalled out several meters above the runway, and the aircraft merely shrugged, and promptly came to a stop. As you might have guessed it lands very well on water too.  

The passenger compartment is not the quietest we have heard, but at least there is a couple fuel tanks in-between them and the twin afterburning turbofans. We hope the passengers like their martinis shaken, not stirred though. 

Does this make any sense at all as a passenger jet? No! It's not especially cheap, the fuel economy is terrible, it is not very comfortable. However, we think it will be ideal for air shows and as a fancy meeting room. What better to put pressure on your partners than 65Gs? We don't expect much resistance after that. 

The verdict: 
With a passenger capacity of only 8, it really does not fit into any of our categories, but we would like to claim our free plane anyways, based off our recent order of 5 GAI Rats. 

(Please pardon the not so amazing graphics in the image my potato laptop is barely up to the task, and I will not have access to a proper gaming PC for the next few days)

Edited by neistridlar

Since I hear there is a backlog of craft to be reviewed, I thought I would mention I am happy to help with reviewing in my spare time. I however am not sure if I'm... umm... "qualified", since I have only submitted one craft for this thing so far, and have not observing this challenge for a long period of time. :P 

1 minute ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Since I hear there is a backlog of craft to be reviewed, I thought I would mention I am happy to help with reviewing in my spare time. I however am not sure if I'm... umm... "qualified", since I have only submitted one craft for this thing so far, and have not observing this challenge for a long period of time. :P 

Oh, sup man! :D 

9 minutes ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

It's a mod right? It's not KAX or AP+, so no. Also we can't just start adding mods willy nilly, soon we would have far too many.

Well, the "GAI Cool Corporate Jet" used it, so why not just add it as the last mod? It adds very essential mk2 parts that can be used to build aircraft. I'm not asking for millions of mods, just wondering why he used it... :/ 

50 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Well, the "GAI Cool Corporate Jet" used it, so why not just add it as the last mod? It adds very essential mk2 parts that can be used to build aircraft. I'm not asking for millions of mods, just wondering why he used it... :/ 

It only uses APP and stock. That is the only ones listed on the kerbalx page, and the only ones I had installed when I did the review.

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

As far as qualifications go, just make sure you have read enough of the reviews, and tried enough of the planes that you feel comfortable judging. And also there have been some discussions about the reviews throughout the thread, so maybe skim through the thread to get a sense of what has been going on. It's too long to read it all though. PM me or @CrazyJebGuy to get access to the judges spread sheet once you feel ready.

By the way, I just fitted a spoiler and an airbrake on one of my floatplane designs, (K-38/52) one per wing, mounted at the same part of the wing, to see what is a better airbrake. The better aircrake would turn the plane to that side, since it would slow down a lot faster. I did it on the runway, because then I don't have to worry about inflight trim. Just throttle up and go.

Place bets now, I'll reveal which is better:

Spoiler

The plane turned fairly strongly right, the side I put the spoiler on. So yeah, spoilers are better, and they cost half as much.

By the way, any way I can switch the 1.4 decoupler/separator skin to the older ones? It looks flipping terrible, and they all look the same, so it's hard to tell which one I'm looking at.

22 minutes ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

By the way, any way I can switch the 1.4 decoupler/separator skin to the older ones? It looks flipping terrible, and they all look the same, so it's hard to tell which one I'm looking at.

You really can't. Its a different part though kept in the game and should be searchable under the manufacturers tab.

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

You really can't. Its a different part though kept in the game and should be searchable under the manufacturers tab.

Thanks!

By the way I just learned that StrutCo doesn't make struts. My life is a lie.

37 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

I made a private jet that is much more economical than GAI's.

Anyone want to test fly it to find the optimal flight settings? I'm not the best pilot

I vill. PM me the craft link, and maybe Elluvon Avionics can partner with your company? :wink: 

2 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I vill. PM me the craft link, and maybe Elluvon Avionics can partner with your company? :wink: 

Sure :D [Mine is RedPandaz Exploration Technologies, with all the planes so far coming from our Delta Flight division, hence the "Delta" in the names]

Edited by RedPandaz

It has been bothering me for a while now that we have not started using the badges that @hoioh made, they are just too good not to use. So I have been trying to find a good way to implement them, and I think I have a way that will fit the challenge, and can be implemented retroactively relatively easily. It goes like this:

• Bronze: Participation trophy, you may use this when your craft has been reviewed, regardless of the outcome.
  • Silver: KEA bought at least one of your planes.
  • Gold: Mark of exemplary performance, this is exactly the kind of aircraft KEA are looking for. It has only minor issues, and is over all very suitable for the task at hand.

Bronze and Silver can be awarded retroactively by self service. For a retroactive Gold badge, people may apply for it retroactively if they think they have a chance, and the judges will take a quick look at the previous review and submission to decide if they qualify. This system is highly subjective, but that such is the nature of this challenge, so I don't think there is a way around that.

Also I think it is about time KEA gets their own flag, so I made a few proposals. I am not by any means a good graphical designer though, so if anyone thinks they can do better, feel free to build upon my designs, or scrap them and make something entirely different. I think this will be fun.

DAKU2xm.png

Edited by neistridlar
added link to badges

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.