Paragliding Chair?

ave369

Is it possible to make a command chair like part that can release a glider parachute, the same one kerbals have in their suits? This chair could be a base for a small paraglider type build with Junos...

9 hours ago, Gargamel said:

This has been done in stock already:

But I do see the allure in a command seat only mod for the chute....

Looks nice but it does make me wonder: Are you flying 'on the chute'? Or are you flying 'on the reaction wheel'?

A craft like that will certainly fly with only the clipped aero parts, and steer with only the reaction wheel, parafoil or no.  I haven't tried to reproduce it to see if the parafoil is also providing lift and control.

12 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Looks nice but it does make me wonder: Are you flying 'on the chute'? Or are you flying 'on the reaction wheel'?

Good question.  Not my video, so I dunno.  I chalk this into the same category of stock bearings.  Really cool, but kinda impractical. 

But the flip in the opening scene is worth watching. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I decided to take a look in the squad part files, it turns out that there is a way to get this to work! Currently there is a module for the kerbal parachutes, called ModuleEvaChute. My guess is that if you make a part using said module, you would achieve the same effect as the kerbal parachute! I'd do it myself, but I'm not proficient enough at modding yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's time to build 1000chute airships.
Then put them into orbit without engines.

Like in early KSP versions when the part trembling and drag calculation errors allowed to fly on engineless kites.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 1 month later...

I did this yesterday. Not sure if a craft can fly only using the chute...but i got one working with only a few mods using and only using stock parts. No aero parts too!! The chute provides some lift like a planes tail pitch rudder. But manuverability is limited prolly due to the added weight or its placment with CoM and CoL. Was really fun to make and fly...ill post pics once i figure out how to renable my windows key lol...

Manuverability is greatly increased with a reaction wheel towards the front. And the command seat near the back. I noticed if the reaction wheel is in the back. The craft tries to make a high AoA naturally. Forward stabilization helps with a ..hense the reaction wheel. My craft flew without a chute decently...but it was unstable. The chute also provides some lift stability. Much like a fin. Once deployed my craft handled like smooth butter.

Edited by Jesusthebird

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.