Jump to content

OrX Discussion thread


Recommended Posts

So I am looking at options to bring a Wolrd War Z or a WH40k like mod for BD Armory Continued and figured there should be a discussion thread so ideas can be bounced around while the pieces needed are put into place

Also so that the BDAc thread doesn't get filled with comments about this idea which will inevitably get buried by other posts

I figure the best course of action is to discuss it here in this thread as if this idea comes to reality it will be it's own mod, not a part of BDAc

Edited by DoctorDavinci
Link to post
Share on other sites

As stated.

 

What about a bunch (maybe 6 or 8) of little 15-20 part planes that are basically garbage but keep spawning until you are shot down. You would need to design a boat that you could land on that would provide defense and rearmament. Then you would need to design a jet/plane/whatever to fight off the aircraft. Then what you could have is that if the player just sits on the carrier and does nothing, you have a few submarines torpedo the crap out of it.

 

There's a lot of potential in this.

 

Maybe even different modes where you defend an airbase using five or six SAM and AAA sites but limited to 30 or so parts. Maybe a ground assault/defense using no missiles or tank turrets. You would need to get inventive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Docs aware already of my interest in this idea :wink:  SO while the first set of ideas, is  what we'd all like to see on day one , these things are never that easy .  So i say baby steps  

A/  decide firm parameters for first target  test , so as to avoid forum induced feature creep, which kills complex projects before they get properly rolling,
Perhaps just as a stage 1  spawn opponent X in such a way that the  current/future AI's will accept it as a target for both teams.

  Sticking mainly to surface combat , meaning on solid ground. Why stay at that, because it's  considerably less difficult than any other form of KSP combat, both to create and to manage , the moment you bring ships  and aircraft into the equation , you have to start thinking of extended ranges.

Non of the ctrl systems are the same, what works in air certainly doesn't work on the ground, and what works for tanks, only works for  10K tonne ships if you go mad on the options, making it difficult for a less experienced player to set things up :sealed:

phase 1 create the method of  X team spawn.creation.
Once thats sorted or underway, custom parts , with limited but precise function can be quickly developed from items already in dev, or modified to test function /form etc , with well over 1300 parts already in the wild, a few more aren't going to make the blindest bit of difference.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wulfle said:

As stated.

 

What about a bunch (maybe 6 or 8) of little 15-20 part planes that are basically garbage but keep spawning until you are shot down. You would need to design a boat that you could land on that would provide defense and rearmament. Then you would need to design a jet/plane/whatever to fight off the aircraft. Then what you could have is that if the player just sits on the carrier and does nothing, you have a few submarines torpedo the crap out of it.

 

There's a lot of potential in this.

 

Maybe even different modes where you defend an airbase using five or six SAM and AAA sites but limited to 30 or so parts. Maybe a ground assault/defense using no missiles or tank turrets. You would need to get inventive.

In other words, Missile Command for KSP. Defend the KSC against incoming missiles, bombers etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Docs aware already of my interest in this idea :wink:  SO while the first set of ideas, is  what we'd all like to see on day one , these things are never that easy .  So i say baby steps  

True. True. At the very start, I'd love to see a single part spawn from an area. That's all that I need to say "This can be a reality".

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

A/  decide firm parameters for first target  test , so as to avoid forum induced feature creep, which kills complex projects before they get properly rolling,
Perhaps just as a stage 1  spawn opponent X in such a way that the  current/future AI's will accept it as a target for both teams.

Yes. This absoloutly. I wonder if we could have it set to spawn in a craft with a weapon manager set to certain settings.

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Sticking mainly to surface combat , meaning on solid ground. Why stay at that, because it's  considerably less difficult than any other form of KSP combat, both to create and to manage , the moment you bring ships  and aircraft into the equation , you have to start thinking of extended ranges.

As I've said before, ground/air, it doesn't matter. We can get to the complex stuff later. Ground-based combat would def be the way in the immediate future.

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Non of the ctrl systems are the same, what works in air certainly doesn't work on the ground, and what works for tanks, only works for  10K tonne ships if you go mad on the options, making it difficult for a less experienced player to set things up :sealed:

phase 1 create the method of  X team spawn.creation.
Once thats sorted or underway, custom parts , with limited but precise function can be quickly developed from items already in dev, or modified to test function /form etc , with well over 1300 parts already in the wild, a few more aren't going to make the blindest bit of difference.

 

All-in-all I like where this is going. I'm exited to see what we, as a community, can cook up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Galane said:

In other words, Missile Command for KSP. Defend the KSC against incoming missiles, bombers etc.

I'm thinking more along the lines of having random spawns of zombified Kerbals with the objective being to eradicate them from the surface of Kerbin

1 hour ago, Wulfle said:

True. True. At the very start, I'd love to see a single part spawn from an area. That's all that I need to say "This can be a reality".

We already spawn vessels with Vessel Mover so spawning a Kerbal should be fairly straight forward as a Kerbal is technically a part ... just need to figure out the logic on the auto spawning system, how to implement it and such (this is where much of the heavy lifting would be so to speak)

1 hour ago, Wulfle said:

 I wonder if we could have it set to spawn in a craft with a weapon manager set to certain settings.

We can add any module loaded in KSP to any part in game as well as being able to attach a weapon manager module (MissileFire) to a Kerbal

Also, since a Kerbal is a part we can add an AI to control it ... KerbalEVA is a perfect proof of concept that this can be done

Integration with BDAc and BD FPS would be a must and is quite achievable ... Basically most of the pieces are already there, we just gotta put them together and and some glue :)

Now I'm not saying this is going to be easy, actually there are a few hurdles to get past .. But as my friend above mentioned, baby steps :wink:

Setting up a Kerbal to be spawned in game and adding a weapon manager to it is the first hurdle ... Once this is achievable then we can move on to the actual AI that controls it, this will require direct BDAc integration so the AI will know which team it is on and where the enemy is

There is much more than this to do but the above are the first steps that need to be taken in order for this idea to become a reality ... Lots of work to be done :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Setting up a Kerbal to be spawned in game and adding a weapon manager to it is the first hurdle ...

Can't we just config the Kerbal to read AS a weapon manager? Like MechJeb For All, to name one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wulfle said:

Can't we just config the Kerbal to read AS a weapon manager? Like MechJeb For All, to name one.

I believe I already answered that question :wink:

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

We already spawn vessels with Vessel Mover so spawning a Kerbal should be fairly straight forward as a Kerbal is technically a part ... just need to figure out the logic on the auto spawning system, how to implement it and such (this is where much of the heavy lifting would be so to speak)

We can add any module loaded in KSP to any part in game as well as being able to attach a weapon manager module (MissileFire) to a Kerbal

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I believe I already answered that question :wink:

Anyway, the point is moot until 1.4.1 BD comes out.

Anyway, I just understood the last part. Here's what I'm thinking for a spawner. You select a part of the work and that makes a waypoint. You are told to defend that waypoint. Around that waypoint, things spawn at a random angle and a set distance. If they get to the waypoint, mission failed.

 

Thoughts?

Edited by Wulfle
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm total noob in this but if I can suggest I would like the idea of spawn points to work like they display message for the survey contracts but set them as perpetual conflict zones. I mean u enter a region n the vessels spawn dynamically. That's what I'm trying to do but I'm far from being a modder or programmer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LuciferZ25 said:

I got it from github.   

 

3 hours ago, Xd the great said:

holy grail I am testing stuff.

I hate to disappoint you chaps, but what you downloaded is not even a percentage of OrX just a tiny subset of what it does and involves.   It is some ways away from being publicly tested . Flooding the thread with reports from a barely functional  example would be neither constructive or helpful.  Please await an official  test version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Would you be so kind as to NOT SHARE MY UNRELEASED MOD :mad:

You are putting me in a position to be hit with copyright claims as not all of the licensing is finished and your not even supposed to have it

 

Edited by DoctorDavinci
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...