"The Essential" Mods List

quasarrgames

So i've been wondering, if someone was to put together a "universal" or "essential" mods pack, for mods that only ever add to the quality and breadth of the game and are compatible with pretty much everyone's playstyles, what mods do you think would be in this pack? I know it's a pretty wide stroke to paint, but i'm sure there are some mods that could fit in the list.

I think the best "essential" mods would be Kerbal Engineer and TimeControl, followed by slightly slimmed down versions of Firespitter, EVE, NearFuture, InfernalRobotics and OPM, maybe with some B9 in there too. 

What do you think?

22 hours ago, Goody1981 said:

Essential mods that add awesome stuff, and actually don’t change the game at all so that any KSP player can enjoy them:

DOE, SVE and RealPlume.... my 3 favourite mods of all time

Note that these are also demanding on a computer.

3 hours ago, Dankgum said:

Note that these are also demanding on a computer.

I mean I guess? But I’ve got a very average computer from 2015 which has had zero upgrades in the last 3 years and it runs these 3 mods perfectly ... (plus dozens of others - graphical mods Planetshine and Scatterer among them).

Apart from these mods being my favourite, they answer the OP, in that they are compatible with EVERYONE’s play style (unless you hate good graphics or immersiveness). To answer that specific question, you can’t include part mods or mods that alter the gameplay (even mods like KER - essential if you ask me, but not everyone is me)

Essential that meets that criterion are very few.  Even the initially offered Near Future I'd say you'd only want to stick with Construction and Solar - Electrical and Atomics have extensive new mechanics that people may not like.  (And even Construction assumes you like to build space stations or similar...)  About the only mod I'd think for sure meets those requirements is Better Burn Time - which just makes the time to maneuver node actually useful.

Kerbal Alarm Clock is also probably close, though not quite as 'no cravats'.  There are some basic parts mods that are also close - but if your play-style never uses those parts, then you just don't need them.  KIS/KAS are nearly universal - but do change how the game is played.  I'd want to comment on things like All Y'all or Crewlight, but I can see 'realism' folks looking down their noses at such.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.