Graphic Mods for KSP 1.4.1 Installation Guide

DiscrafTsk

Original tutorial on my website: https://goo.gl/iKnDfp

Graphic Mods:

Installation:

First of all you have to open up KSP installation directory. To do it open up steam, right click to kerbal space program, properties, local file and browse local files. I highly recommending you to make clean ksp installation just for this purpose. And all downloaded mods you will be putting into GameData folder. (Default KSP location is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData)

So let’s start by downloading first mod called scatterer which will add some awesome looking fog, reflection of water with waves and much more. So if you have it downloaded you will now need something which can work with archives, for example WinRAR or 7-Zip. So open up that downloaded scatter file and copy inside of a folder gamedata into KSP gamedata directory.

Next up will be mod SVE or Stock Visual Enhancements. So download the base mod also with textures. From SVE textures you can choose between high, medium and low resolution textures but I will use high resolution.

Then you will also need to download EVE or Environmental Visual Enhancements but do not download configs. There are config files already in scatterer so if you will download and use both you will end up with overlaying textures and very bad performance. But if you will don’t have any clouds after I will show you all these steps you can try downloading EVE with configs. It may fix the clouds in some cases.

So let’s install these mods. First one will be EVE, again open it up and extract its content inside the KSP gamedata directory. Do the same thing for SVE and SVE textures.

Next mod will be Texture Replacer which was surprisingly updated and we will be using it for changing the skybox. So download it from GitHub then open it up and extract it into KSP gamedata directory.

For that better skybox I will be using Rareden’s real 8k skybox. You can download it from dropbox also link will be in the video description. If you want to use different skybox you can but you need .jpg or .png file types. From what I know texture replacer will not work with for example, .dds files. There is also another skybox mod available but as I said it was not working for me, but you can give it a shot. To install it copy all photos inside the texture replacer/default folder.

Skybox-1024x580.png

Next up we have Galileo’s Sun Flares which will make the Sun or in KSP Kerbol looks much better and you will also have that nice realistic lens flare effect. To download it you can choose from a lot of different colors. And then just extract it into gamedata directory as every other mod.

Now let’s install mod Kopernicus which is for modifying planet textures and other stuff. Again download it and then extract everything to gamedata directory.

To install better planet or terrain textures download SVT or Stock Visual Terrain and extract it inside the gamedata folder.

Now if you want some realistic engine effects, you can install mod Real Plume along with Smoke Screen. But the new KSP 1.4 with updated unity particles is already very good. So it is optional if you want to use it. But to install it download the latest real plume and smoke screen. And extract everything from Smoke Screen to gamedata directory but from Real Plume extract only Real Plume and Real Plume-Stock, do not extract smoke creen from real plume because it is outdated.

Real-Plume-1024x585.png Engine-Stock-1024x575.png

Another mod called Raster Prop Monitor will make cockpits look much better and it will add functional displays. Installation is again the same. Extract JSI folder to gamedata directory.

Raster-Prop-monitor-1024x575.png

To improve stock part textures, you can use this quite old mod called Stock part revamp and surprisingly version for ksp 1.2 it is working totally fine even on 1.4.1. So download it and now pay attention because from my old videos I know that this mod was causing a lot of problems because it was not installed properly. So when you will download it inside stock revamp master folder is folder gamedata, ignore all other files and folders only one important is gamedata which you need to copy into KSP installation gamedata folder. And now you should be done with the installation.

Now I like to launch KSP from launcher only for the first time to set graphic preset to maximum and then you must use 64bit ksp launcher called KSP x64 located in the installation folder or you can just use steam and select 64bit version during the launch. If you will don’t use 64-bit version game will be probably crashing or it will don’t work at all.

If you did everything correctly now you should have awesome looking kerbal space program. I want to mention that all new parts even from DLC are working totally fine so you can still change the color.

Your Gamedata folder should look like this:

Installation-dir.png

Have you run into an issue with solar panels not working? I have everything set up the way you showed. The 1x3s don't have an option to retract in the VAB. No solar panels of any kind even show whether or not they're getting sun exposure and they don't charge.

EDIT: Found a fix. Went into Kopernicus/config and deleted SolarPanels.cfg.

Edited by Herzogvision

There is one problem with Kopernicus because it was not updated yet. But I wanted to show in that video universal way for installing visual mods... So fix for now is to remove kopernicus completely and SVT because it will do not work as well.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, eatU4myT said:

Anyone able to confirm this is still current?  Also, if I install in the order suggested, and then add Outer Planets on top, is that likely to muck anything up?

Thanks

Yes I can confirm that this does still work even in 1.4.5 ksp version. Im using always the same steps to install my graphic mods to game. But Im not sure about the Outer Planet mod. You will have to try it.

36 minutes ago, DiscrafTsk said:

Yes I can confirm that this does still work even in 1.4.5 ksp version. Im using always the same steps to install my graphic mods to game. But Im not sure about the Outer Planet mod. You will have to try it.

Thanks for this, I will give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.