Question about mod integration into base game.

Forgive my ignorance here. Perhaps if someone could give me a good rundown?   Would it be possible to get the mod Kopernicus added into base game functionality?  I am not exactly sure what it does, but I do know that none of the universe altering mods, which are some of my favorite mods, work without it being updated.   It personally seems like a lot to leave up to a single modder or modding group, without some form of compensation.  What are the community's thoughts on this subject?

Edited by Red Thought
Clarification on personal mod preference.

11 hours ago, Red Thought said:

Would it be possible to get the mod Kopernicus added into base game functionality? 

No.  Adding the kopernicus mod into stock would not happen.  If they add outer planets or start systems into stock, it would be designed from the ground up into the stock game.  Functionally very similar, but all the kopernicus based mods out there would be dead.  (I think).

It personally seems like a lot to leave up to a single modder or modding group, without some form of compensation

Sadly, them's the breaks of mods.  It's the brain child of one or a few people, and they bring it to life.  They make it for the love of the game, not in hopes of being compensated.  Most do have patreon links on the mod thread page though.   When a modder goes MIA, there's a strong chance that the mod could die, as some of the licenses attached to the mods prevent others from working on it.   Other modders do willingly give up their work and hand it off to others.  We have a few modders who have taken these lost orphans under their wings.  @linuxgurugamer is running a veritable orphanage right now (130+ mods he controls), and I expect him to setup franchises soon.

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:
16 hours ago, Red Thought said:

Would it be possible to get the mod Kopernicus added into base game functionality? 

No.  Adding the kopernicus mod into stock would not happen.  If they add outer planets or start systems into stock, it would be designed from the ground up into the stock game.  Functionally very similar, but all the kopernicus based mods out there would be dead.  (I think).

I'm not saying bring the planet packs into the game.   I just wonder why Kopernicus is needed in order to make a planet pack, in the first place.   

1 hour ago, Red Thought said:

I'm not saying bring the planet packs into the game.   I just wonder why Kopernicus is needed in order to make a planet pack, in the first place.   

I no zero about modding (and even less about programming), but I've been playing New Horizons for awhile (and it's utterly fantastic, by the way; I cannot recommend I highly enough), and from what I can tell, each planet is based on one of the stock planets. So I think, rather than creating planets, Kopernicus allows you to alter the stock planets and move them around however you see fit. You can do some pretty radical stuff with it. Sort of like a large-scale version of modding engines or tanks. You can change the stats and appearance however you you want, but it's still based off of an original part.

Though I could certainly be wrong. I'm out of my element here and probably shouldn't be posting. "I just drive 'em, baby, I don't know what makes 'em work".

A like and a tip of the cap if you know that one. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

On 3/22/2018 at 5:20 AM, Red Thought said:

I just wonder why Kopernicus is needed in order to make a planet pack, in the first place.   

It's not.  It's not needed at all.  But everyone uses it because it's a lot less work to use Kopernicus to make a planet mod than it is to make one from scratch.

Why is that?  It's because the stock game's API and design support for planets is not very modder-friendly-- without Kopernicus, every person who wanted to do stuff with the solar system would have to reinvent the wheel and do a bunch of complex work.  I get the impression that the base game originally wasn't really designed with modding the solar system in mind.

Kopernicus is a carefully-thought-out layer that makes it much easier to tinker with the solar system because Kopernicus has already taken care of a lot of the plumbing for you.  That's why so many planet packs use it:  because if you're a modder and you want to produce a planet pack, it's a hell of a lot easier to build it on top of Kopernicus, than it is for you to re-implement everything from scratch yourself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.