California startup plans to launch a liquid fueled rocket from kodiak

insert_name

The notice included two caution areas, one in waters immediately south of the spaceport and the other several hundred kilometers to the south-southwest, that mariners should stay clear of during launch operations.

Two stages; probably not a soli... oh, wait, we know that already.

The company was originally known as Ventions and worked on a number of propulsion and other technologies under contracts with NASA and DARPA before reincorporating as Astra Space in 2016.

“Astra Space designs, tests, manufactures, and operates next-generation launch services that will enable a new generation of global communications, earth observation, precision weather monitoring, navigation, and surveillance capabilities,”

The company goes by the name Stealth Space Company in some job listings.

I have visions of people in green with stars on their shoulders. I've long expected some sort of a SCUD-sized in-theater orbital launcher.

That work includes development of a rocket called Astra that is 12 meters tall and capable of placing 100 kilograms into low Earth orbit, according to a presentation attached to the lease information.

Two-thirds the length of an Electron, half the capacity. May be kerolox, then, but a Naval Air Station may have IRFNA support facilities.

5 hours ago, DDE said:

Two stages; probably not a soli... oh, wait, we know that already.

I have visions of people in green with stars on their shoulders. I've long expected some sort of a SCUD-sized in-theater orbital launcher.

Two-thirds the length of an Electron, half the capacity. May be kerolox, then, but a Naval Air Station may have IRFNA support facilities.

The first notice could simply be the restricted area around the launch pad, also the article says that it will be suborbital, could be a test of the first stage

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Image result for astra rocket secret comparison

This image went around Reddit a while back, no official comment was made by any known company but this is believed to be Astra.

Hm... second stage is pretty tiny. Tankage ratio looks about right for a kerolox.

Edited by DDE

38 minutes ago, Scotius said:

It looks like a giant bullet. And "Stealth Space Company"? It smells bad. Like a gunpowder. I don't think we will like this new company. Let's hope i'm wrong on this :)

A bit more up-front ness would be great for the entire aerospace industry in general, but not hearing about a company until they are two weeks away from a launch is pretty stealthy.

Although if they painted their rocket "cool" in a "stealth" way then I'd forgive them for the secrecy (as long as they stream the launch). :)

Bet me they have some relation to the military. I wouldn't be too surprised if they will loft the newest constellation of KH stuff - after all, a swarm is more desirable today than a single point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.