[1.3] FASA RCS Stock-Like Mini Mod

frizzank

DOWNLOAD

Click here to download FASA_RCS

I decided to make some stock-like RCS blocks I thought were sorely missing from the base game.  I like the new making history expansion but I didn’t like the absence of new RCS thrusters to go with it.

FASA RCS 1.3

Added inverse color variants

FASA RCS 1.2

Fixed RCS 45 not in tech tree

FASA RCS 1.1
Tweaked weight (Increased) and ISP (Lowered) to be more in line with stock parts

SfutBmH.jpg

RCS fuel & thruster pack is made for the new two person pod in the expansion but it is exactly the same size as the small RCS fuel tank (FL-R10) but with less fuel to accommodate the thrusters.
NRKTTqf.jpg
RCS Double pack is a small linear thruster with less thrust for smaller applications.
pvijrmb.jpg

RCS 45 is similar to the stock one just at 45 degrees.

jTH10Xa.jpg

Lastly is a powerful single direction RCS for retro thrust applications.

NXyGibv.jpg

Edited by frizzank
Update

21 hours ago, frizzank said:

stock-like RCS blocks

Agreed with the previous post, to me "stock-like" means stats as well as texture style.  I've noticed many mod authors just can't seem to help themselves and buff the stats on nearly everything they make .  Perhaps that's because the parts are intended for a different playstyle, like Realism Overhaul, scaled solar systems, Interstellar, huge modded colonization loads etc.  Perhaps the stats shown here are actually far more realistic (I have no idea).  I know personally, if I look for a stock-alike mod and find the stats buffed like this (such that the stock parts that these are supposedly alike are immediately made obsolete) I'd delete it or edit the stats to match stock.  But that's just me, and I play mainly stock as far as parts and gameplay.

For what it's worth, there is a fine parts pack that accompanies Mandatory RCS which has a stock-alike style, and whose stats match stock ISP, price, weight, etc very closely.  Since that exists, perhaps there's no problem is this buffed to better-than-stock levels, as much of the rest of FASA seems to be.

Edited by fourfa

Isp for the 45 block should be the same as the stock one. Other ones are a bit high and need some tweaking. I like that they have some benefit otherwise you could just use the stock ones and turn off the other directions in the action menu.

The retro one has a huge amount of thrust and burns through fuel quickly. The higher ISP is to offset that fuel usage some.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, frizzank said:

DOWNLOAD

Click here to download FASA_RCS

I decided to make some stock-like RCS blocks I thought were sorely missing from the base game. 

Very nice that inline will help everyone with their Gemini clones. The lack of RCS is the reason my first install in stock is always RLA. https://spacedock.info/mod/1509/RLA Recontinued  

Also has the most useful engine's to fill in the gaps. "cant do without the mono prop's". People who download your pack might want to pick this up to go with it just a single part but?  https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/rcs-105-180 

Nice pack.

Edited by Delbrutis

On 3/25/2018 at 1:10 AM, Daedala said:

Love it! However, the RCS Block 45 was nowhere to be found in Career Mode. I fixed this by changing this line in the RCS_45.cfg:

TechRequired = fuelsystems

to this:

TechRequired = fuelSystems

Thanks for this catch. Re-uploaded with fix.

This is great! any chance of adding an inline stack parachute that detaches anything above it? Tantares offers a couple, but the 0.625m chute doesn't have nearly enough drag to slow the Mk-2 down enough.

I could add storage space inside the RCS tank, but I am reluctant to add anything not RCS as its just suppose to be an RCS mod. Also parachutes can be moved inside geo and still work fine.

Edited by frizzank

12 hours ago, frizzank said:

I could add storage space inside the RCS tank, but I am reluctant to add anything not RCS as its just suppose to be an RCS mod. Also parachutes can be moved inside geo and still work fine.

Got it...yea wasn't thinking it would go inside the RCS tank, but rather attached in-line below as in the RL Gemini capsule...just an idea..thanks for responding

The latest version of New Tantares has a .625m stackable parachute that safely slows the Mk-2 capsule down. If others are looking for a stackable solution I'd recommend it. It's lighter grey and would work great with @frizzank's new color option for his RCS module

Edited by Tyko

Could you use Spacedock? It's easier to track updates...

Edit:

And the title of this thread! Version number and date of last update are much appreciated (and commonly done like that by the majority of the modders). :D

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 1 month later...

Can the length of throw of the thrusters be adjusted a bit longer? Ever since 1.4 on, the thruster firing was changed to be more compact and circular with little or no throw. Liked the thruster firing effect way better on 1.3.1.

Edited by MikeO89

• 2 weeks later...

yea the FX of the new particle is now somewhat automatic. So if you have something that puts out a thrust of 1 you get the same sized plume one every thruster. So a 10x thruster set to operate at .1% looks like the same thrust as the generic 1x thruster on 100%. 

I dont know if i explained that well but the FX is based on the thrust produced and not necessarily the thruster itself.

Edited by frizzank

Hm, that's kind of a bummer. For me the RCS plume in 1.3.1 looks way better. I guess the RCS plume is in the eye of the beholder. It's in the little things I guess. Take the FASA RCS thrusters for example. I liked them a lot. I still fly the FASA Apollo missions from time to time but for 1.4.3, I had to swap out all the FASA RCS thrusters (like for CSM and LEM as well as turn off RCS in the CM and losing the APS flight pack) for generic and it just doesn't look nearly as good just for the 'feel' of the thruster plume. Glad I still have a copy of 1.3.1 around for a different "feel" from 1.4.3. When I first started playing 1.4...x, something seemed to be not quite right but for awhile I couldn't put my finger on it. It was the RCS thrusters.

Edited by MikeO89

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.