N1-L3 Mun Landing

Comrades, it's time to join the space race. The N1 stands ready. Let's land on the Mun and show all of Kerbin what we can achieve.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udod72znlzzcgbc/Mission-N1-L3 Mun Landing.zip?dl=0

HX3gFp0.png

jhxfey1.png

WsalDha.png

Admittedly, this is my first mission, so I tried to keep it as simple as possible to avoid mishaps. I hope it will be enjoyable.

Edited by AdmiralAndre
Images don't appear correctly

Tried this, Rocket design throws it off though. the N1 had around 1.4 TWR at launch, and my ascent profile is by no means perfect but I couldn't get it to 130km orbit with the first three stages even when I launched it from KSC.
The mission design is great, the builder page looks organised well, but either you wanted it to be too hard or missed a few details of the real N1. 

Edited by Tallis161

On 25/03/2018 at 11:49 AM, Tallis161 said:

Tried this, Rocket design throws it off though. the N1 had around 1.4 TWR at launch, and my ascent profile is by no means perfect but I couldn't get it to 130km orbit with the first three stages even when I launched it from KSC.
The mission design is great, the builder page looks organised well, but either you wanted it to be too hard or missed a few details of the real N1. 

i was able to get the good orbit with spare fuel at 1st try

On 3/25/2018 at 4:49 PM, Tallis161 said:

Same issue here. I tried everything to get to orbit, but always fall short by about 50dV. I had a near perfect launch profile (tip over 5 deg at 100m/s, almost horizontal at 60km, prograde all the way) ; even reduced the weight by getting rid of the massive fairings before launch.

The N1 that launches into my stock game does not look the same as OP's either, it seems like the shrouds around the outside were tweakscaled, this might be adding a ton of drag.

11 minutes ago, killakrust said:

Same issue here. I tried everything to get to orbit, but always fall short by about 50dV. I had a near perfect launch profile (tip over 5 deg at 100m/s, almost horizontal at 60km, prograde all the way) ; even reduced the weight by getting rid of the massive fairings before launch.

The N1 that launches into my stock game does not look the same as OP's either, it seems like the shrouds around the outside were tweakscaled, this might be adding a ton of drag.

Looks like 1.4.2 has broken the 5m fairing size. Guess I'll wait for 1.4.3.

Comrades, I just loaded the mission up, the latest update did indeed mess with the craft, specifically the fairings. I will look into this, as well as the mission itself, to make it a bit more playable. However, I also welcome anyone who wants to use all or part of the craft to make a better N1 as well!

1 hour ago, killakrust said:

Looks like 1.4.2 has broken the 5m fairing size. Guess I'll wait for 1.4.3.

Ok, so I fixed the fairing config file in 1.4.2. Got into a 120x120 orbit (barely, no fuel remaining). Did a hohmann transfer (no plane changes) to the Mun. Got to a 30km x 550km Mun orbit before running out of fuel.

I can't figure out if there is something in the latest version of KSP that is making this mission more difficult than it should be or if the mission was designed to penalise any non-perfect use of dV.

Edited by killakrust

I tried with 1.4.1 and it was very doable

Will try to test it again with 1.4.2. But as you said, some things, like the 5m fairing, were changed in the latest patch

personally I would not change your craftfile before 1.4.3 because they'll change things again and it might still be broke

Edited by genbrien

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.