Upping SmokeScreen particle count

NFunky

Hey guys, I've started a new install of 1.2.2 for a Realism Overhaul/Realistic Progression Zero career.  My old install was RSS and Stockalike RF, also in 1.2.2.  While playing this old install I discovered I could make the RealPlumes look much better by increasing maximumActiveParticles in the SmokeScreen config from 1,000 to 10,000.  Problem is, when I change that number in my new install, it doesn't seem to work.  The plumes look exactly the same, no matter how high I set it.

Anyone know what could be overriding the SmokeScreen value in SmokeScreen or RealPlumes?  I'll do a test a little later, replacing the SmokeScreen and RealPlume mods with the ones from my old install, but I believe they are all the same version anyway, so I doubt that will solve it.

On a related note, what do you guys set your PHYSICS_FRAME_DT_LIMIT to when using RealPlumes?  I've found anything above 0.03 will start to make the plumes look gappy and unrealistic.  More like strings of beads than flames or exhaust trails.

Thanks!

Further details:

It is possible to lower particle count with the value in SmokeScreen.cfg, but anything above 1,000 appears to be reduced back to ~1,000 in game.  I have not found a cfg that would cap the particles in the Realism Overhaul or RealPlume folders yet.

Is there any way to make plumes look good in higher physics delta-time limits?  I do prefer flying rockets in real time, if at all possible, but it really looks so much better at 0.03 or less..

17 hours ago, NFunky said:

Further details:

It is possible to lower particle count with the value in SmokeScreen.cfg, but anything above 1,000 appears to be reduced back to ~1,000 in game.  I have not found a cfg that would cap the particles in the Realism Overhaul or RealPlume folders yet.

Is there any way to make plumes look good in higher physics delta-time limits?  I do prefer flying rockets in real time, if at all possible, but it really looks so much better at 0.03 or less..

If you open the UI (Alt P) and change the vale there does it work? 

Very interesting!  Yes it does, but it doesn't persist.  Each time I launch a new vessel, or load an existing one, when I open the control panel, it has been reset to 1,000.  I'll keep looking into it, but there must be a way to change the default.

Thank you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.