let's talk about joints

hi

I don't understand those joints.

First, I do have this situation: root -> ... something -> truss -> FL-R10 RCS Fuel Tank (0.1 t) -> Extendatron Basic (0.2 t) -> Extendatron Stackable (0.15 t) -> something -> massive heavy tank

The Extendatrons are horizontaly attached. Now, the first joint is massively bended and unstable, while the second one is strong like hell (but both use the same force/spring/whatever values).

Fine... this can be explained with the "lower mass == weaker". But: is it just the relation of those masses or is it the absolute mass as well that's influencing the strength?? ... and what I don't understand: why is the rigidBody.mass 1 for both parts? and... which mass is now the relevant one? how can I find it? (I need it, if I want to set the new "massScale" correctly)

And... massScale... does it help, to set massScale and connectedMassScale to let's say 10 ? or is just the relation between those masses interesting?

... do further child/parent objects of the 2 connected object also have an influence on the joint?

Would be nice if we could answer some questions about joints, now that we got a new Unity version.

I made some experiments now... when I make the connection between the tank and the extendatron 15 times stronger (as if the mass would be 1:10), then it is as strong as those between the Extendatron and Extendatron Stackable (without modification of this joint) ... I don't see the reason for it... or a pattern behind this logic... maybe someone has an idea for a good experiment to find out what's going on here? ... for the moment it's fine for me, I can continue my work... it's just... I've no idea how to explain what I see and maybe this info would also help others in the future

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.