[1.4+ & 1.8+] Hyperspace - Load KSP faster on HDD (or not)

sarbian

On 15.4.2018 at 6:50 AM, DracoSilverpath said:

Interesting! I tried doing as you said there with the folder cache, but did not see any real improvement on my load time.

That said, i'm not 100% sure I did it correctly either. I installed it, right clicked and loaded the gamedata and 64_data folders into ram, then launched the game twice. The bit you mention about a batch file kinda lsot me :(

The background mode of this tool does not work for me. So don't use the background mode. I use the attached batch.
And it only helps, when KSP IS NOT YET in the windows cache... as soon as you started KSP once before, it IS already in the cache.
I have a loop to load it back into the cache cause when recording video with OBS it seems that writing the video to the HD, it slowly flushes KSP out of the windows cache.
The loop in the batch reloads it back into the cache (while it is still in the cache) ... so more like updating the "last accessed" value of the files to make sure they stay in the cache. 32GB RAM here.
If I then need to restart the game it loads up with like <2% HDD LED activity. Almost no activity at all.

Cause of the windows cache it is also important, that users that making measurement here, at least load the game once fully and close it, before making any measurements.
If not they are totally not comparable. Then they would compare non-caches with windows cached.

BR
JebsSY

Spoiler

:1
cachefolder ./Gamedata
cachefolder ./KSP_x64_Data
timeout /t 3600
goto 1
pause 

Edited by Jebs_SY

1 minute ago, MaverickSawyer said:

So, just to make sure I understand what this does... it only helps with loading time on the SECOND launch of the game? Or does it accelerate the first time you launch the game since you booted up the computer?

It accelerates every launch, from what I understand.

However, there are other things can accelerate launching the game, including the fact that the OS will cache files, and that MM will cache configuration changes.  So the procedure listed is what you need to run through to see how much *this* mod accelerates it, on it's own.  Otherwise any comparisons might be swamped by other factors.

24 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

So, just to make sure I understand what this does... it only helps with loading time on the SECOND launch of the game? Or does it accelerate the first time you launch the game since you booted up the computer?

It's will give the most help on the first launch in most cases.  It makes KSP read files more efficiently from disk, but assuming your computer has available RAM the files will probably be cached in RAM after the first run at which point the change in this mod won't make much of a difference.

what would go even faster is creating a new gamedata folder that only has the parts,models,textures that are in your save file or craft files. 

folders with dll's get loaded they are support mods for the most part would have to blacklist stuff like avc and module manager.

ive got the first part done where find all the distinct parts from all the craft files and subassy's. still trying to figure out how to merge the hashtables i put the intermediate results in. probably something stupid easy just cant seem to see the forest for the trees on that bit. so think more like ksp editor/designer where you could load all mods and then a ksp play module where you only load the ones you actually use and only the actual parts from those being used.  

• 8 months later...
On 3/22/2018 at 3:50 PM, sarbian said:

This is a really small mod that may or may not help your KSP loading reach hyperspace for HDD users. It worked for a small sample of tester and the result are more likely tied with how fast your disk are and how much memory you have (if you have 16GB of ram this should not help the 2nd loading because the game will most likely be cached)

How to properly test if things are faster. Launch the game twice up the main menu without the mod installed (one to cache things a bit, then to measure). After the second launch open the KSP.log and search for the "Loading Systems: Elapsed time is 29.1946s" line.

Then install the mod, launch and look at the line again and tell me if it did anything for you. (if you have ModuleManager it will rebuild the cache on the first launch so you will have to launch twice...)

Download

License MIT

I don't know how I missed this.

Any chance of adding it to CKAN?

Hi this may be a non-smart question, but I'll ask it anyway. :P

Title says "1.4" and this is from March 2018 so wondering if there are any issues using this with 1.6 as of January 2019?

(Other people appear to be are using it in recent days... so maybe it's not a dumb question?)

Thanks!

Edited by scottadges

I somehow missed this for all these years as well.

Helmets off (but only on Kerbin and Laythe!) to all of you with triple-digit (or quadruple-digit!) load times. I seriously would stop playing if that was the case for me. It's why I don't do a lot of visual enhancements.

1st load no mod: 83.50797s
2nd load no mod: 36.06953s

1st load with mod: 53.84898s
2nd load with mod: 36.16599s

...so much better (1/3 savings) on first run (though maybe that was due some but not all things being cached? I have no idea how ksp cashes things or how this changes it), and the same on the 2nd run.

26 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Title says "1.4" and this is from March 2018 so wondering if there are any issues using this with 1.6 as of January 2019?

(Other people appear to be are using it in recent days... so maybe it's not a dumb question?)

Thanks!

I'm using it in 1.6

In my dev install, load times went from 32.3 seconds down to 30.1, nearly 10% saved.  And this one only had a few mods, I'll be trying it in my big install later, but that one takes 10-12 minutes to load

This system has 64 gig of memory, and all ssd storage, so I don't expect a humongous improvement, but anything is helpful, and saving 10-20% of load time is very nice

5 hours ago, scottadges said:

I know of course you're a top-of-the-line streamer type of gamer, but is there a kerb-emoticon for "drooling-on-the-floor" at your rig? :0.0:

Keep in mind that I've been doing this (ie: geek stuff) for a long time.  I didn't get to this powerful a rig overnight, it's been a long road.

I'm exceptional, I do things that others don't, so I actually needed the memory.  Looking at my usage, I could have saved a few bugs and gone with 48g, but the cost difference wasn't that much, and I always build a system with future use in mind.

Ok, I just finished a test with my big install:

• KSP 1.6.1, about 255-260 mods installed
  • 64 gig memory
  • SSD drives

Testing mythology was to load the game 2 times, and use the time from the 2nd load.  The second load was done immediately after exiting the game

Normal load time:   427.0661s

With Hyperspace:    401.7671s

About a 7% decrease in loading time.  

Without: Loading Systems: Elapsed time is 1473.507s

With (first load): Loading Systems: Elapsed time is 857.4781s

Second loading with it: Loading Systems: Elapsed time is 767.0156s

I'm very impressed nearly a 50% decrease in the loading time for a very heavily modded install

2 hours ago, SpaceN00b said:

Without: Loading Systems: Elapsed time is 1473.507s

With (first load): Loading Systems: Elapsed time is 857.4781s

Second loading with it: Loading Systems: Elapsed time is 767.0156s

I'm very impressed nearly a 50% decrease in the loading time for a very heavily modded install

Yes, very impressive.  Can you describe your system (ie:  memory, disk drives, cpu)?

Also, number of mods

Edited by linuxgurugamer

15 hours ago, scottadges said:

Thanks!

Nothing dumb, I just did not edit the tittle :) It is done now

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, I just finished a test with my big install:

• KSP 1.6.1, about 255-260 mods installed
  • 64 gig memory
  • SSD drives

Testing mythology was to load the game 2 times, and use the time from the 2nd load.  The second load was done immediately after exiting the game

Normal load time:   427.0661s

With Hyperspace:    401.7671s

About a 7% decrease in loading time.  

That you still get an improvement when the game is most likely loading from the RAM shows how much the code could be improved. 

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes, very impressive.  Can you describe your system (ie:  memory, disk drives, cpu)?

Also, number of mods

I'm using a i3-3240 CPU, 512 Gb hard drive and 8gbs of ram. I have RO and most of the suggested mods excluding Nerteas mods and TAC life support. I also RP-1 and Kerbalism running with their recommended mods. And yes i have a decently stable/smooth running build once it gets running.

Edit: According to CKAN there are 83 mods installed

Edited by SpaceN00b

14 minutes ago, SpaceN00b said:

I'm using a i3-3240 CPU, 512 Gb hard drive and 8gbs of ram. I have RO and most of the suggested mods excluding Nerteas mods and TAC life support. I also RP-1 and Kerbalism running with their recommended mods. And yes i have a decently stable/smooth running build once it gets running.

Edit: According to CKAN there are 83 mods installed

It's the hard drive that is impacting you the most, and why you get such a dramatic improvement in loading time.

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's the hard drive that is impacting you the most, and why you get such a dramatic improvement in loading time.

yeah it is but I can't afford a new one so I'll live with it. Also i just loaded it again and dropped another 30 seconds off

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.