2018 Lowell Blackout vs 2018 L.A.B. Apex

LABenterprises

001fZhs.png

Recently I wanted to see how my Apex stacked up against @Azimech's Blackout. I was surprised to find that although these cars couldn't be much more different, their results when tested on a track are extremely similar. On paper the Apex shouldn't stand a chance, the Blackout is faster, quicker, lighter, and has a better power to weight ratio. However, both cars use effective aerodynamic methods to enhance their performance and it's here that the Apex claws back lost ground.  At my test track the Apex has completed the circuit with a 39 second lap and the Blackout completed it in 40 seconds. I could probably make up the difference with an extra hour to familiarize myself better with the the Blackout's handling. In the future I will be testing these cars on multiple tracks to figure which one has superior handling. Until then,  here are some stats.

2018 Lowell Blackout

Top Speed: 155+ m/s

Curb Weight: 6.63t

Power: 160 kN

Power to Weight Ratio: 24.1 kN per ton

Dimensions: L: 6.55m W: 3.49m H: 1.59m

Download Link: Lowell Blackout

2018 L.A.B. Apex

Top Speed: 126 m/s

Curb Weight: 13.16

Power: 240 kN

Power to Weight Ratio: 18.2 kN per ton

Dimensions: L: 6.47m W: 3.56m H: 1.8m

Download Link:  L.A.B. Apex

L.A.B. Test Track

kq5rIvA.jpg

2018 Lowell Blackout: 0.40

2018 L.A.B. Apex: 0:39

Yeah, you need lightning reflexes with the Blackout.

Curious to know, did you try the Blackout in KSP 1.3.1 or 1.4.1? I haven't tested it yet but the standard wheel grip settings have changed, they're much higher now. All my (tested) cars tend to roll over now, major bummer because if Squad won't fix it, I'd have to adjust 80+ cars and trucks to cope with the situation!

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

Yeah, you need lightning reflexes with the Blackout.

Curious to know, did you try the Blackout in KSP 1.3.1 or 1.4.1? I haven't tested it yet but the standard wheel grip settings have changed, they're much higher now. All my (tested) cars tend to roll over now, major bummer because if Squad won't fix it, I'd have to adjust 80+ cars and trucks to cope with the situation!

I tested the cars in version 1.3.1. I played around in 1.4 for a few days but I couldn't figure out why some of my cars flipped over and others stayed relatively the same, it's good to know that the problem's in the wheel grip settings. The increase in body roll is still an issue but not something I can't work around. I do hope Squad changes the grip settings back to what they were before though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.