A new name for a new generation of rockets and spacecraft?

NSEP

Poll  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What should we name BFR/BFS like spacecraft

• Superrockets
    • GTV (General Transport Vehicle)
    • ITS (Interplanetary Transport System)
    • Just stick to BFR/BFS
    • Multipurpose Refuelable Upper Stage
    • Advanced Upper Stage
    • Other

What should we name the category of spacecraft that are like the BFS. The BFS will without a doubt have competitors/derivatives/related vehicles in the future with simulair capabilities (full reusabillity, interplanetary transport, etc) if it becomes succesfull.

What should we name this new category of spacecraft?

Edited by NSEP

ICAO introduced „super“ when the A380 hit the market as identifier for ATC where a B747 or 777 was „heavy“ until then. 

Let’s just use super heavy lift vehicle and were done. 

Edited by Theysen

BFR → HMR (Heavy Metal RockIt)

BFS → ... stays BFS. (boat of Future Ship)

19 minutes ago, Theysen said:

ICAO introduced „super“ when the A380 hit the market as identifier for ATC where a B747 or 777 was „heavy“ until then. 

It's very nice when people have an important, significant job.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, Theysen said:

Let’s just use super heavy lift vehicle and were done. 

Well, they are more than just super heavy lift vehicles, like the Saturn V

56 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

BFR → HMR (Heavy Metal RockIt)

BFS → ... stays BFS. (boat of Future Ship)

It's very nice when people have an important, significant job.

What does that mean? :D

at least America still uses a lot of those identifiers when pilots call the controller. You don’t want to be cleared for approach behind a 380 when you’re in a little Cessna and the controller - for what ever reason didn’t double check on his strip -  , and America has a lot of the latter (Cessna, general aviation) in busy airspaces.

agreed to the „more than just“ lifting vehicle like saturn, but differing by payload mass to wherever worked before, too. 

Edited by Theysen

Megatonal Orbigenic Ascent Vehical (mother of all ascent vehicals)

Right now the most i can place in ''virtual' earth orbit is 3.8 MT. 1 is not to bad and i could probably do RTLS on some of the lower stages. I need a bigger launch pad and VAB

Screw the name stuff, i wanna see action. Everyone is talking about gateways in space such as this weeks space fantasy (care of bruno this time). Lets see some of these hevy lift guys start building gateways and stop talking about them. If i want graphics about space fantasies i can make them myself. 

1. Next Generation Launch Vehicles?
  2. Megalaunchers?
  3. Whatever Bezos, Musk etc. Decide To Call Them?

Personally, I not much in favour of option 3. WBMEDTCT is a lousy  acronym.

Define previous rocket generations with numbers, and then just give this one a new number. 

Like:

Gen 0: Small scale rockets. Goddard/VfR

Gen 1: First missiles. V-2, Hermes, Redstone.

Gen 2: ICBMs. R-7, Atlas, Titan

And so on until you reach the new rockets.

1 hour ago, PB666 said:

Megatonal Orbigenic Ascent Vehical (mother of all ascent vehicals)

NTM. (Next Time - Million).

2 hours ago, YNM said:

SHLV is quite generic.

Super-Hype Launch Vehicle. Uses hype as main propellant.

Edited by kerbiloid

What about:

• Spacecraft (a reusable manned vehicle which depends on an expendable/separate module for its propulsion)
  • Spacetug (a reusable propulsion module for moving spacecraft around)
  • Spaceship (a reusable manned vehicle with its own reusable onboard propulsion module)

That's simple, right?

So we've been in the age of spacecraft so far, and we are closing in on the age of spaceships.

Super-Hyper-Colossal-tastic!

I think it all matters who's coming up with the names.  A government agency will give it a string of letters unpronounceable as an acronym; if it's up to private industry, and marketing focus groups start coming up with the names, they'll start sounding like car model names or prescription drug names....

It's a wee bit snarky but how about Evolved  Non-Expendable Launch Vehicles? :) 

And if all else fails, just call them Bob. Bob is a good name for almost anything.

Edited by KSK

I'm reminded of the HMS Dreadnought, which revolutionized naval battleships to the point that all prior battleships were referred to as "pre-dreadnoughts".

If Elon does name the first BFR Heart of Gold, perhaps rockets will be divided into pre-Gold and post-Gold vehicles.

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Define previous rocket generations with numbers, and then just give this one a new number. 

Like:

Gen 0: Small scale rockets. Goddard/VfR

Gen 1: First missiles. V-2, Hermes, Redstone.

Gen 2: ICBMs. R-7, Atlas, Titan

And so on until you reach the new rockets.

Fireworks and model rockets should be in Gen Minus (Gen Minus sounds cool right?)

Gen 3: First Dedicated Orbital Launch Vehicles. Saturn IB, Atlas II>, Proton, Et Cetera

Gen 4: Cryogenic Orbital Launch Vehicles. Delta-IV, SLS, Vulcan, New Glenn

Gen 5: Multipurpose Orbital Launch Vehicles and Spacecraft. Space Shuttle, BFR, New Armstrong

29 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

I'm reminded of the HMS Dreadnought, which revolutionized naval battleships to the point that all prior battleships were referred to as "pre-dreadnoughts".

If Elon does name the first BFR Heart of Gold, perhaps rockets will be divided into pre-Gold and post-Gold vehicles.

That sounds awesome! 

BFR, the dreadnaught of space

4 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Fireworks and model rockets should be in Gen Minus (Gen Minus sounds cool right?)

Gen 3: First Dedicated Orbital Launch Vehicles. Saturn IB, Atlas II>, Proton, Et Cetera

Gen 4: Cryogenic Orbital Launch Vehicles. Delta-IV, SLS, Vulcan, New Glenn

Gen 5: Multipurpose Orbital Launch Vehicles and Spacecraft. Space Shuttle, BFR, New Armstrong

That sounds awesome! 

BFR, the dreadnaught of space

Dreadnaughts became very well thought of because of a fluke in history, The great war (WWI) was supposed to be the war that ended all wars, and the Dread naught was decommisioned after 14 years of use, being on the winning side but hardly a cause for victory. By second 'great' war it would have been about the same size as a heavy cruiser. But even then the high wide profile of battleships made them prime targets for attack from above and below. Either one was crippling. The Aircraft carrier centered fleet as been a mainstay of major Navies since. Even the biggest heavy hulled mega aircraft carrier produced during WWII was sunk during its sea-trials. And basically the size of ACC has not significantly increased since 1960 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier. If you want something with sustained power.

1024px-US_Navy_031130-N-3653A-002_USS_Ge

• 2 weeks later...
On 23-3-2018 at 4:56 PM, kerbiloid said:

MyRocket1
MySpaceship1

Part of me thinks you are an actual kerbal.

20 minutes ago, A Soviet Tank said:

I vote "Big Daddies" or "Meaty Boys". I mean, look at the size of those rockets.

WoooOO000ooww.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.