Checkpoints become dirty

tomf

I'm creating a fairly long mission, its currently up to 46 modes long, all of which are pretty linear. I want to be able to play through it to test, and use checkpoints to make it less tedious. Hyperedit would be nice too but that's another question.

However, when I make an edit to a node further down the chain, something i won't get to in my playthrough for quite a while it is marking all the checkpointws as dirty except for the first 3, created right at the start of the mission.

Any idea why and how to have usable checkpoints for later points?

Hi tomf!

A dirty checkpoint is one that has become invalid because the mission designer has changed something in the mission. Say they save a checkpoint for Jeb on EVA, and then go back and edit the kerbal to be Valentina. That checkpoint is now considered dirty. All checkpoints created after that one will also become invalid since, let's put it this way, they are pointing at something that is not happening in the future of the mission.

This is in a mission that I am creating and the mission nodes that I am changing are significantly in the future of the checkpoints that are being invalidated.

E.g. my mission consists of 40 nodes. In a playthrough I get up to node 30 and notice that something has gone wrong. I go back to the editor. At this point I have checkpoints corresponding to nodes 10, 15 and 20. I make my change to node 30. I would expect that the checkpoints for earlier nodes are unaffected but I am finding that the checkpoints for nodes 15 and 20 have become invalid.

Are my expectation of how the checkpoints work wrong?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.