Pets Thread

NSEP

This is a thread for introducing your pets, discuss and talk about them, helping each others pets, and giving condolences to the pets who have unfortunately died.

I thought this was worth getting a main thread :wink:

5 Cats.

Simon, the one you're all probably familiar with at this point: No idea on age.

Took him in from a rainstorm, tried to find an owner, no luck.  Neighbor said he'd been roaming the neighborhood for a few months, and his weight at the time reflected it.

9c420180221173654.jpg

Blackie: No idea on age.

Also brought him in from a rainstorm.  Wife was outside smoking at ~5 am, and he just showed up and demanded to be let in.  No luck with finding owners.  He was a good weight when I got him, but after 6 weeks of looking, I just kept him.

20171226221546.jpg

Ding: ~ 14 years old.

Got her from my wife's mom, when she moved.  It was either we take her in, or she would go to a shelter.  She'd likely have been put down had we let that happen.

20171203095841.jpg

Myra: ~ 4 years old.

One of the on-purpose ones.  Adopted her from a no kill shelter.  (This shelter doesn't take animals directly, they rescue "undesireable" animals from kill shelters, get them the care they need, and adopt them out).  She's not a fan of cameras.

20171222190932.jpg

Bonkers: ~ 9 years old.

Got him from a farm, where my family has gotten cats before.  We had stopped by to ask about some information about one of the cats we had at the time (which came from there).  My wife found an all grey cat, and she'd just wanted one for so looooong.  So Bonkers came home with us.

20171105204015.jpg

Notice the problem?  Yeah, I did too.

And here's Carmen, who I got when I was 10.  Picked her out when she was 7 hours old.  Lost her just before she turned 17.

256663_311055059011655_503491979_o.jpg?o

• 1 month later...

@Geonovast:

Now since I've mentioned him on the other thread, I'll formally introduce him here. His name is Boomer, being short for Boomerang. When he was a kitten, I'd pick him up from the cabinet, the top of the piano, or even the table, and tell him "no!" I'd then put him down to hear him give me a loud "MEOW" and discover that as soon as my back was turned, he was right back up where he wasn't supposed to be.

When we got him from a neighbor, he was extremely sick and had a bad lung infection at four months. We bottle fed him and to be honest, the vet didn't give him much of a chance to live. I prepared myself and the family to the possibility that life might happen and we'd wake up to find him dead. Well, that was three years ago and the cat is still here. He'll be four in August.

JrjgCAP.jpg

3bGCMCM.jpg

And of course, he's got the mistaken belief if he lays on my computer bag, I can't go to work...

m99Cfgt.jpg

Right now I have three cats, all rescues.

First and oldest is Phantom. We found Phantom and his brother in my neighbors yard when they were tiny kittens, and the vet gave Phantom only a 50/50 chance of making it through the night. But I dropper fed him, and he grew up to be what the vet said later was "one of the most physically perfect cats he's ever seen"

The night we found him, after we got home from the vets.

WEArIs9.jpg

About a week later, when his eyes finally opened

VNscrjC.jpg

This afternoon...

UHyDCi9.jpg

Next is Waldo... my buddy.

Waldo showed up a few years ago after a month of non-stop rain flooded out all the houses a couple blocks from here. He just showed up one day, and we never could find his owners. Then one day he got hit... or probably more accurately rolled under a car, and got banged up pretty bad, and that's when I brought him inside... and he's never wanted to leave, or ever try to go back outside.

4OdFFjn.jpg

EKzhRiw.jpg

And our newest is Love-Bug... or just Bug. She was about 3 years old when we adopted her. Her owners couldn't keep her, and couldn't find anyone to take her in. And even though I really didn't plan on having another cat, there was no-way I was going to let her end up in a shelter... I mean, come on... look at that goofy face??? How could you now fall in love with this one instantly?

We've had her just over 9 months now.. and she's still like a kitten... and an absolute goof-ball!!! :lol:

rPJQi9J.jpg

0CpblCa.jpg

rRZkaBh.jpg

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

@Just Jim, is Bug slightly cross-eyed?

No, she is really cross-eyed!  :confused:

Or she just looks that way. I don't think there is anything wrong with her vision, it's the way her eyes are colored. I've never had a cat with such deep, dark blue eyes. But they get even darker towards the iris, and on the insides, and this is what makes her appear cross-eyed, even though again, her vision seems fine.

Edited by Just Jim

9 hours ago, Just Jim said:

WEArIs9.jpg

Is that you???

On 3/23/2018 at 1:15 PM, tater said:

My awesome dog in the upper back yard :wink:

OeATh6t.jpg

Cute and furry! That's you in the background right?

I just spent $2,300 on my cat this week, depleting my meager savings, and neither the standard vet nor the emergency hospital I brought him to could tell me thing one of what the problem was.  Multiple X-Rays, ultrasounds, bloodwork, the lot of it.  It reached the limit of what I could afford to spend on "lets take a shot in the dark" style of medical care, so I have been home with him nursing him back to health.  I think he is starting to turn a corner, and making a recovery.

Love & appreciate your pet while you can, they can be gone in an instant.

This is him pre-illness, my silver bengal cat named Sampson:

Voy7eZ2.jpg

Edited by klesh

Just now, YNM said:

Interesting that most of the posters so far are having cats.

Funny you should mention that... ;)

noRakfB.jpg

That was my dog for nine years. This June will be a year since we had to put him down- he was suffering from an aggressive form of liver cancer which we caught too late, and surgery didn't help.

I still miss him.

23 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Funny you should mention that... ;)

Well, it's not precisely a thing I have either. (and no I don't have dogs as well, I like cats but keeping them isn't viable. No hate on dogs nor offense on owners but I don't like the licking.) And I offer my condolences for the loss.

All I had were fishes then (freshwater) turtles. Sadly it wasn't very long-lasting for the fishes and the turtle grew out of the container so I had to release it. (the turtle that survived long enough were also quite rough - bitten and killed the other one.)

Fortunately I didn't pick up on hamsters.

Despite not keeping cats, semi-feral cats are and were very common here. There used to be one female feline (any better name ?) that brood in the porch. We'd sometimes give milk and fishes or such. But once someone had dogs in the neighborhood they moved away.

We also have lots of them in the campus - in fact, one of the lecturers "kept" them, feeding with cat food !

And for the record that cats aren't entirely heavenly creatures, this post is made/edited with sound backing of cat mating grawl.

Edited by YNM

Oh sure, now I have to write an essay... Warning: lotsa pics incoming!

Well, I've already posted this guy here, whom we acquired last Sept or so when his barn cat mom was hit by some farm equipment...

xNuFiqu.jpg

The dog here, Marley, was a rescue dog who had been slowly coming along during the 3-4 years we had him, but we had to rehome him after he bit a little girl in our care on the lip...

VJ9ihcS.jpg

Then along came Oreo, a "Mountain Labernese". We didn't go looking, friends had one pup left in their litter, and she joined us in January...

nVmX6vP.jpg

And it was love at first bite...

b9vo9v2.jpg

Malibu's grown into quite the dashing fella, with cattitude..

pa56eyF.png

Which he needs to compete with Oreo...

yuV5Cmz.jpg

Oh right, can't forget Timbit, although it's so easy since he mostly sleeps all day (we considered him a dog that thinks it's a cat). We've had him for about 9 years now. He came from a puppy mill, and had been pounded on by the other dogs, so although he was supposedly around a year old when we got him, he never showed much youthful energy or playfulness. He tolerates the other animals, but generally tries not to have anything to do with them. After barking at the kitten and pup whenever they tried to play with him, they learned to leave him alone. But I did catch Timbit and Malibu sleeping nearly side-by side, so I quickly got my iCamera ready and pushed them together...

0EfTifL.jpg

Finally, here's a pic of my first dog, who I got some thirty+ years ago when I was 13. He was the smartest dog I'd ever seen. He'd be lying on the rough concrete hearth trying to get comfortable, before going into a bedroom and bringing pack a pillow. Pillow on hearth, head on pillow, asleep in seconds. Unfortunately, we only had him for four years before we moved to the city and were forced to give him away because we couldn't find a place that would allow pets. More annoying, the complex we moved to went co-op a few years later and started allowing pets, but it was too late to get him back.

CbkfC9U.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I might just share something about my pets.

When I was younger, my parents got me two turtles about the size of an average coin. 

They're still healthy and going strong. They're now about the size of half of my palm.

Yup, it's been 8 years!

I also got some other turtles, two that I gave to my cousin, and two that are still healthy and at a reproductive age.

All the turtles I got are still healthy, with the exception of one which died, which I replaced with another.

Some people think it's hard to have turtles. I disagree in the same way I disagree to docking being hard. :P

12 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

A post or two have been removed. This thread is for your own pets, please, rather than joke videos about animals. 

Ok, didn't know that. :wink:

16 hours ago, NSEP said:

Ok, didn't know that. :wink:

It's your thread, silly. You said so. 

This is a thread for introducing your pets, discuss and talk about them, helping each others pets, and giving condolences to the pets who have unfortunately died. 

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.