Reverting Jet Sounds to 1.3.1 standard

Warezcrawler

28 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to revert jet engine sounds back to pre 1.4 sounds?

I'm not entirely happy about the vacuum cleaner sounds we got in 1.4, so if it is possible I would like a "downgrade" of those.

Of Course,just take the sounds from 1.3 and replace the existing ones.

• 3 weeks later...

That's so bad... I thought something were from with my mod list, but i see, i'm not alone. These jet sounds are ugly ass hell and disturb my gaming experience. Reducing engine volume turns normal rockets in super silent engines. Bad step from Squad.

Perhaps you can make an MM patch to swap the sounds to something else? I did something similar when I was using RealPlumes in 1.3.x because they swapped out some default engines sounds that were great for initial launch, but made no sense when I was re-activating engines at zero thrust. (They were stupidly loud and didn't match the visual action.)

I must remember to give this a try. It links the stock jet engine sounds (not the rockets though) to IRL engine samples. I haven't tried it in-game but it's pretty promising. 

Yes I know, I'm suggesting +1 mod for people to install. But while I may be doing so, I'd like as much as anyone for Squad to revert these sounds directly.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I must remember to give this a try. It links the stock jet engine sounds (not the rockets though) to IRL engine samples. I haven't tried it in-game but it's pretty promising. 

Yes I know, I'm suggesting +1 mod for people to install. But while I may be doing so, I'd like as much as anyone for Squad to revert these sounds directly.

Thanks. I will be giving this a try

On 4/16/2018 at 2:46 AM, sebi.zzr said:

I did some research and found that [snip].  You could [well-meant but rule-breaking advice redacted by moderator].

Hi there,

Thank you for trying to help folks-- I know you meant well-- but unfortunately we had to snip out your advice because it's against the rules here:

On 1/11/2017 at 10:20 AM, Frybert said:

8. Legal boundaries

You may not decompile, modify or distribute any of the .dll files or other files KSP comes with beyond content of the GameData folder.

The game sounds aren't just sitting around as files in a folder somewhere-- it's not technically possible to swap them out with ModuleManager or the like, since they're embedded inside the game.  As has been observed earlier in this thread:

On 3/23/2018 at 2:16 PM, sebi.zzr said:

Oh,i see they are "pre built".

^ This.  Unfortunately, this means that,

• it is not technically possible to get the old sounds without decompiling something, and
  • it is not legally okay to decompile anything,

which means, alas, "you can't get there from here."

It may be that if someone could create their own jet sounds (or find some royalty-free, publicly-usable ones somewhere), perhaps something could be done to swap those sounds out.  But there's not any way for you to recover KSP's sounds, due to the legal limitation described above.  The only way to get those would be if Squad chose to release them in some fashion.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.

On ‎19‎.‎4‎.‎2018 at 11:15 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

Now it's confirmed, I'm one of the few people who actually like the new sounds...

If there are any others. 

dislike :mad:

Edited by sebi.zzr

And here I thought I was alone on my dislike for the new sounds! (https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18541)

If there is any way to get the old ones back, I'd jump on it.. In the meantime, I don't know how much of an impact it'd make, but maybe upvote my post on the bug/suggestion tracker?

My only gripe with the old sounds was the Panther afterburning sound having a noticeable loop to it. Then again, that's better than listening to all the engines sounding like vacuum cleaners..

8 hours ago, Jognt said:

And here I thought I was alone on my dislike for the new sounds! (https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18541)

If there is any way to get the old ones back, I'd jump on it.. In the meantime, I don't know how much of an impact it'd make, but maybe upvote my post on the bug/suggestion tracker?

My only gripe with the old sounds was the Panther afterburning sound having a noticeable loop to it. Then again, that's better than listening to all the engines sounding like vacuum cleaners..

I think jet sounds mod, see above, could be the answer

2 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

I think jet sounds mod, see above, could be the answer

Hmm, I'll check it out. No word on 1.4 compatibility so far. What turned me away from that mod initially is because it listed "realistic counterparts" as the source of files. And the last thing I want is more realistic sounds, because nobody wants to listen to what an actual jet sounds like for any length of time. (in that sense, the new 1.4 sounds are quite a bit more realistic, in that they'll cause permanent brain damage if you listen to them for too long)

4 hours ago, Jognt said:

Hmm, I'll check it out. No word on 1.4 compatibility so far. What turned me away from that mod initially is because it listed "realistic counterparts" as the source of files. And the last thing I want is more realistic sounds, because nobody wants to listen to what an actual jet sounds like for any length of time. (in that sense, the new 1.4 sounds are quite a bit more realistic, in that they'll cause permanent brain damage if you listen to them for too long)

Well, gaming experience and realism is not 100% of the time the same thing.... I got a better experience from 1.2.2, than 1.4.2 when evaluating sounds. That is disregarding if 1.4.2 is more realistic.

I had installed the mod mentioned and have not experienced problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.