[1.12.x Kerbal Flight Indicators (Release 20, 2020-02-11)

Papa_Joe

Kerbal Flight Indicators

Note:  @DaMichel has given me his permission to maintain this mod in his absenceI have forked the Repository and will continue support going forward, or until he returns to continue support.  I have cloned his page to note the change in mod support.  I'm not renaming the mod to make it easier to keep track of it.

What is Kerbal Flight Indicators?
It draws a couple of markers directly in your field of view. It shows

• Horizon
  • Attitude
  • Velocity
  • Vertical direction

You can turn it on/off with the toolbar button.

Download

Release Page on GitHub

(Source code on Github)

Installation: Extract the contents of the zip file into the GameData directory.

Note:  I have added support for KSP-AVC  version file now included.

Configuration:

Is done by editing settings.cfg in GameData\KerbalFlightIndicators\Plugins\PluginData\KerbalFlightIndicators.

To change colors, you'll see lines like "horizonColor = 0,0.5,0,0.8". The numbers represent Red, Green, Blue and Alpha components, going from 0 to 1. Alpha means opaqueness, where 0 is completely transparent. New values should take effect on the next flight scene.

To let indicators appear on top of the IVA cockpit again, change drawInFrontOfCockpit = False to drawInFrontOfCockpit = True.

Mod Recommendations

Picz

My Imgur account is almost full of images so i'm probably going to delete the previous sequence. Have this instead.

UWlBv4y.jpg

Changelog on GitHub

Known Issues

* This release has the potential to cause strange issues with other mods, like HUD elements or use custom cameras. Please report odd issues.

Acknowledgements

Current mod maintainer:  Papa_Joe   I've only continued maintenance on this mod.  All credit is due to the original mod author.

Original mod author:  @DaMichel  Original Mod Post:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/72595-13-kerbal-flight-indicators-release-15-2017-08-14/

@DaMichel originally acknowledged the following:

* I used some code from SteamGauges http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40730-0-23-SteamGauges-V1-5-Analog-Radar-Altimeter-and-More! by Trueborn. Thanks for putting it under a not too restrictive license.

* Thanks to Blizzy for his Toolbar.

* I would also like to thank Pizzaoverhead (KerbTrack) and Navyfish (DockingPortAlignment) for their plugins from which i learned how to do things.

License

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Edited by Papa_Joe
New Release for KSP 1.12.3. Add CC-NC-SA license text to release

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Papa_Joe!

I approve of this. I don't feel like playing a whole lot at the moment. So, thank you for you initiative. I'm cool with compatibility updates. Anything else, depends. I'll let you know when/if I'm ready for pull requests.

11 hours ago, DaMichel said:

Hey Papa_Joe!

I approve of this. I don't feel like playing a whole lot at the moment. So, thank you for you initiative. I'm cool with compatibility updates. Anything else, depends. I'll let you know when/if I'm ready for pull requests.

Works for me.  You da man!

• 2 months later...

Despite the version being "R16-KSP1.4.1-recompile", CKAN has ksp_version set to 1.3 so it doesn't show up when I searched for it.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/blob/master/KerbalFlightIndicators/KerbalFlightIndicators-R16-KSP1.4.1-recompile.ckan

KFI markers are visible on the displays of MAS MFDs:

From a skim through the KFI source, it looks like it uses layer 30 for the markers (same as MAS MFDs).  However, KFI doesn't switch its game objects off in an OnPostRender() call, so they persist through other cameras' render cycles.  I think the solution (in KFI) would be something like

void OnPostRender()
{
  for (int i=0; i<(int)Markers.COUNT; ++i)
  {
    markerScripts[i].gameObject.SetActive(false);
  }
}

in the CameraScript class.

On 7/4/2018 at 5:33 AM, MOARdV said:

KFI markers are visible on the displays of MAS MFDs:

From a skim through the KFI source, it looks like it uses layer 30 for the markers (same as MAS MFDs).  However, KFI doesn't switch its game objects off in an OnPostRender() call, so they persist through other cameras' render cycles.  I think the solution (in KFI) would be something like

void OnPostRender()
{
  for (int i=0; i<(int)Markers.COUNT; ++i)
  {
    markerScripts[i].gameObject.SetActive(false);
  }
}

in the CameraScript class.

I hadn't seen that issue come up in my testing, but I hadn't looked.   Thanks!

• 2 months later...

New Release.

R17, 10 Sep, 2018
* New
  * Recompiled for KSP 1.4.5
  * Renamed project to reflect Mod Name (generally accepted practice with KSP mods)
  * Reorganized code to follow current mod structure best practices. Split classes into separate files for improved visualization of the code.  
  * Config files moved to PluginData to prevent ModuleManager from needlessly invalidating its part cache.
  * Added Build/deploy automation to reduce labor, testing and reduce deployment errors.
  * Added change log to distribution.

* Fixes
  * Per forum post by MOARdV, added an OnPostRender event handler to prevent game objects from persisting through other cameras' render cycles.  Problem noticed in MAS MFDs

Enjoy.  Let me know if you find issues.

• 5 months later...

For anyone who is interested, I have an unofficial build which fixes an issue with this mod making parts semitransparent in certain circumstances.

Available here: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KerbalFlightIndicators/releases/tag/R18.1

I made a PR to the original repo on Github.  I do not intend to adopt or maintain this mod, since it duplicates the functionality of NavHud

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For anyone who is interested, I have an unofficial build which fixes an issue with this mod making parts semitransparent in certain circumstances.

Available here: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KerbalFlightIndicators/releases/tag/R18.1

I made a PR to the original repo on Github.  I do not intend to adopt or maintain this mod, since it duplicates the functionality of NavHud

Slick! TY for this.

Before I try it out--does this also affect the strange "brightening" effect (such as on runway lights) that happens when toggling the markers on? Maybe related to the transparency.

I don't know why, but I still run both mods. Just like the looks of these markers more sometimes. :)

Edited by Beetlecat

9 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Slick! TY for this.

Before I try it out--does this also affect the strange "brightening" effect (such as on runway lights) that happens when toggling the markers on? Maybe related to the transparency.

I don't know why, but I still run both mods. Just like the looks of these markers more sometimes. :)

I have no idea, please let us know what you see

• 2 months later...

I wanted to not use the stock toolbar and use blizzy's toolbar instead.  So I edited the config thusly;

useToolbar = True
useAppLauncher = False

I does show up on Blizzys, but its still displaying on the stock toolbar after a restart.  I though my edit may have reverted on restart, but it hasn't. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Just want to say what an amazing mod this is.  Could not imagine flying without this.  Should be stock for sure, need to see vector and AoA of aircraft, its a no-brainer, especially for landing when you want to have a high AOA, vector down, nose up to land on rear wheels.  More modern version of this mod is : NavHud but that unfortunately does not show the horizon/orientation properly in the beautiful way this does, so this is what I use and recommend and could not play without.  Anyway, 100% recommended mod, thank you.  Should be a stock part of the UI.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Whilst this mod is toggled on, does anyone else experience translucent parts? Seems like there may be some funky shader shenanigans going on.

Yes, there's an unofficial build from LGG that fixes that issue: 

On 2/15/2019 at 2:22 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

• 6 months later...

Hi there!

Thank you @Papa_Joe for all the work you did on the mod. Now I updated it by myself again.

https://github.com/DaMichel/KerbalFlightIndicators/releases/tag/R19

I merged the patch by @linuxgurugamer. Thank you, too. Otherwise, was just checking it still builds. Also bumped the KSP version.

@Papa_Joe are you still around? Do you want to keep maintaining it? Please let me know. Otherwise I will make a PR for ckan in the next days to have it point to my repo.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.