[NOT BUG, But poor default] Mission creator: launch from VAB fails to focus on vessel just built

Dunbaratu

( EDIT: I reported this as a Bug before, but it turns out it's just a very unintuitively weird choice for the defaults in the Spawn Vessel details.  I just found a checkbox in the Spawn Vessel details for "Focus on Vessel".  It turns out that turning this checkbox on gets rid of this "bug", but why on earth isn't it the default to make building and spawning a vessel from the VAB behave just like it does in the game?  Why go out of the way to find the option and change it in order to achieve the default behavior that matches how the rest of the game works?  Shouldn't switching to the vessel after building it be the normal way?  The default way?  Note, it was so weird, I thought it was a bug, which is why I posted the text below originally.)

--------- Original Post Message follows Below this line ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bug: A spawn Vessel node has the player click on the VAB and build their own vessel, but then when they launch it, the game doesn't switch focus to the vessel they just spawned like the game is supposed to.  Instead it leaves their spawned vessel sitting on the launchpad while it focuses on some other vessel in orbit that has nothing to do with what they just did.

To Cause it:  Your mission has to populate the solar system with at least one pre-made vessel before the player builds their vessel in the VAB.  Then the game will always focus on that pre-made vessel instead of what the player launches.

To help the developers diagnose the problem I reduced it down to the minimum example that demonstrates it.

I can reproduce this bug with a very small mission, that only has these 4 nodes with no branching, like this:

Start Node (does nothing, no details or docked nodes) ---.
                                                         |
    .----------------------------------------------------'
    |
    `--> Spawn Vessel Node, a mission-built premade vessel in orbit of Kerbin. ---.
                                                                                  |
          .-----------------------------------------------------------------------'
          |
          `--> Spawn Vessel Node, A player-built vessel they make in the VAB. --.
                                                                                |
                .---------------------------------------------------------------'
                |
                `-->  Always True Node, just a dummy placeholder for where the rest of the mission will be later.

Note, I get the exact same bug if I "dock" those two Spawn Vessel Nodes into the Start Node.  The problem seems to be that when you leave the VAB and launch the vessel, it focuses on the first vessel defined in the mission, even when that's not the one the player just launched.

When the mission first starts and the player has not built their vessel yet, it makes sense to focus on the pre-made vessel in orbit.  That doesn't feel like a bug at all.  It makes sense because it has to put the player *somewhere*.  The bug is that it keeps doing this every time you launch from the VAB, even if it's no longer the start of the mission anymore.

Edited by Steven Mading
Discovered the UI checkbox that makes the bug go away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.