Hidden Offscreen Node in my mission - the source of much frustration

I post this in case anyone else ran into this problem and have been pulling out their hair over it.

If you ever make the mistake of trying to remove a node by dragging it off the edge of the screen back to the left panel (because your instincts have been trained to do this by the VAB editor's way to remove a part), if you aren't careful it can hide the node very far off-screen where you think it's been deleted but it hasn't.  It's still present and affecting your mission graph but not being drawn where you can see it.

I did this ages ago to remove a node, but it was still there.  So I had a hidden "always true, catch-all" node painted at coordinate(-5994.02539, 202.246094).  That's several screenfulls of width past the left of the screen.  No matter how far out I zoom, or how I pan the view, it never allows me to pan far enough to the left to see it, so I was ignorant of its existence.  Since it was the reason the rest of my mission didn't work, being unaware that it exists made it impossible to diagnose anything.

I finally got suspicious when the mission status during runtime kept saying I was on the node called "Always True", when I no longer had any nodes called "Always True", having given all my nodes more descriptive names, not the default names.  Then I saw where it said I had 32 nodes in the mission loading screen, and I counted carefully, and every count I did by hand showed only 31 nodes, not 32.  Finally I looked at the actual text file "persistent.mission" and only by doing that was I finally able to see the extra node that wasn't drawing in the editor.

Yes I had a similar problem with the always true node. My initial thought were like yours that it was off to the side of the panel. When I used the fit to screen button it didn’t center around the visible nodes. It centered around what I assume was an invisible true nodes and the visible nodes. I was playing with the true nodes at the top of the panel witch matched how it centered. Totally borked my race Mission. Had to rebuild it from scratch. 

Seems an almost identical bug. 2 invisible always true nodes. 

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.