What was the best explosion that you ever encountered?

322997am

13 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Probably when they dropped the Brady St. Bridge in Pittsburgh, 1978.

I really need to find some better explosions.

Best,
-Slashy

You know, I thought there was something off about you.... I thought it was your cavemen tendencies.   

But no, you are a Pittsburgh fan.   That's what it is.

I guess it is your cavemen tendencies then.

:wink:

(How about that for an upcoming explosion? :)

Real life??? hmmm... Probably when I was in the Army... this was about 1981... not during any kind of combat. I was at a training area called Grafenwoehr. Graf is a monstrous training camp in Germany, with a huge impact area in the center, surrounded by dozens of live fire ranges. I was a medic with the 1/51 infantry, and one of the times when we were at Graf, and on range... a huge artillery round came screaming down and exploded only about 100 yards from my track!!! It only happened once, and almost instantly all the radios came blaring on screaming "All Ranges Cease Fire!!!". Later we heard we were only maybe a dozen yards outside the "kill-radius" and damn lucky no-one was still wounded... And even later than that, I found out I went to high-school with the guy that shot it!!!

That was scary... :0.0:

At an air show near where I live they bring out some bombers and fake trucks and blow crap up as part of a Vietnam War reenactment. The coolest part was when they brought out a guy who had bought and restored a De Havelland Vampire. Sadly, that's the only one in person I've seen...

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

Well... since this is in the KSP discussion forum, and not the lounge.....

I usually launch directly to space stations, rendezvousing during the circularization burn.    One time I rendezvoused before circularizing.   I called it "docking with emphasis".

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Well... since this is in the KSP discussion forum, and not the lounge.....

I usually launch directly to space stations, rendezvousing during the circularization burn.    One time I rendezvoused before circularizing.   I called it "docking with emphasis".

Ohhhh...  been there... exploded that!  hehehe

I actually wasn't sure if these were supposed to be KSP explosions, or real life ones. But most everyone was talking real life, so I added in mine.

If we're talking Kerbal.. well... that's a whole different Ka-Boom... I've caused a bunch of explosions on purpose writing Emiko Station, but one that happened completely on it's own still really sticks out. About a year ago... maybe a little longer.... one of my ships all of a sudden spontaneously over-heated and blew apart!!! Best part, instead of panicking, I took as many screenshots as I could, and weaved it into one of my most dramatic chapters ever...

XNfaTL2.png

UkenfEz.png

n9SWaGn.png

Lo7uDLw.png

Just now, Gargamel said:

Oi! I've been letting that lag.... better start reading again, only on chapter 40 or so.    *Correction, page 39 of the thread*

Oh... OK.... Cool. Then I will NOT tell you how that explosion came out... I don't want to ruin it... :wink:

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

But the spoilers!   You've given up on stock!  (Surprised it took you that long!)

Ohhhh... opps.... hehehe. I forgot just what chapter I started using them. Getting a little off topic, but in a nutshell, I got a new computer not far from where you are in the story that could handle some mods... so I finally broke down.

Back to ka-booms... check this one out... this I did on purpose not long ago, and I was a little taken back just how big it ended up!!!  hehehe

VQx6ZBx.png

OK... I'm done playing... :D

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I actually wasn't sure if these were supposed to be KSP explosions, or real life ones. But most everyone was talking real life, so I added in mine.

Yeah, I guess I was the culprit there. I knew he meant in-game (talking about not be able to find any; which I figured he meant screenshots or videos). I just like to be funny whenever possible. A wisecrack is often my first thought. And '03 is tough to forget. :(

30 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Yeah, I guess I was the culprit there. I knew he meant in-game (talking about not be able to find any; which I figured he meant screenshots or videos). I just like to be funny whenever possible. A wisecrack is often my first thought. And '03 is tough to forget. :(

Well, I think either would be OK... and speaking of, there was one other bunch of real-life explosions I saw back around 1990 worth mentioning. This was when I still lived in NY, and I was driving... somewhere... with my (ex) brother-in-law, when we both saw this huge, nasty, column of black smoke just north of us. I looked at him, he looked at me, and we both nodded and headed to check it out...

Turned out to be a paint factory!!! And not only did we get there before the firetrucks, they ended up pinning my car in, and it wasn't like I was going to ask them to stop and move the truck... lol... so we were there for the duration! We were at a spot maybe a mile away from the factory, and it was as close as we could get! The heat was incredible, and the firemen just shook their heads and said there was no-way... all they could do was try to keep it contained, and make sure it didn't spread. And as we all stood there, the fire slowly spread from one room to another, and each time the same thing happened... the next room's windows would go completely black for maybe a second or two... then the whole room exploded! And onto the next... one room after another... I don't really remember how long we stood there... but when it was finally clear to leave, there was nothing left of the factory. 

Edited by Just Jim

I've written about this hilarious episode of early days in KSP before, but I still giggle when I think of it.

3 stage std mun/minmus setup (Sat V-ish) but with boosters.

Everything looks good at launch, pressing space bar.

The boosters shoot off as some very expensive fireworks, might explain why there's still a sticky note on my monitor with the words "Check Staging".

Trying to rescue the mission (bad move) I hammer space again to release the docking clamps, the vehicle hovers for 2-3 seconds before gravity wins since the TWR without the boosters is < 1.

The whole stack falls down and gradually explodes, starting with the main engine and working it's way up. In the end there's just a big ball of fire on the launchpad, with debris shooting off in all directions, including straight up.

To my amazement out of this fiery inferno rolls a seemingly unscathed command pod with my three brave kerbonauts.

I cheer and giggle over the wonder, and then a piece of debris decides to give up it's fight with gravity and come back down.

On the unscathed command pod, smashing it flat ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.