What was the best explosion that you ever encountered?

322997am

Oh... I almost forgot... I have another really good one!!! 

I did this for the "Destroy the KSC Challenge"... At this point everything is gone except the VAB... and there is only one way to really take it down in true Kerbal fashion... bwaahahahaha  :0.0:

It starts off a little slow, but the ending is so worth the wait!!!

FYI... this is also the video that got @Darth Badie to change her name, and come over to the dark side... hehehe

We had a demonstration at school where firemen threw water over hot oil to see what happends. The first explosion was a flop, but JUST when we turned around and left, there was HUUUGEEE fireball.

Don't throw water on burning hot oil everyone!

In KSP, this one was pretty good.  This was from a much older pre-official-release version.  Things used to be a lot more explody, like, joints would fail much more easily.  Also, nose cones weren't actually needed because aerodynamics weren't in the game yet...

On 3/27/2018 at 11:33 PM, purpleivan said:

I made this video as a birthday card or sorts, for my nephew a couple of years ago.

That was totally epic, like wow. I wish I could give that more than one like....

As for in person, I was there when they imploded the the Georgia Medical-Dental building in Vancouver, back in '89:

And for KSP, well, my "HIghway To Hell" video (link in sig) for the "Destroy KSC" challenge was more like a series of smaller explosions. But my favorite would be...

HFGrT7R.png

I really wish they would try to get a product placement of KSP on The Big Bang Theory. How about it, @Darth Badie?

On 3/25/2018 at 12:29 PM, Curveball Anders said:

I've written about this hilarious episode of early days in KSP before, but I still giggle when I think of it.

3 stage std mun/minmus setup (Sat V-ish) but with boosters.

Everything looks good at launch, pressing space bar.

The boosters shoot off as some very expensive fireworks, might explain why there's still a sticky note on my monitor with the words "Check Staging".

Trying to rescue the mission (bad move) I hammer space again to release the docking clamps, the vehicle hovers for 2-3 seconds before gravity wins since the TWR without the boosters is < 1.

The whole stack falls down and gradually explodes, starting with the main engine and working it's way up. In the end there's just a big ball of fire on the launchpad, with debris shooting off in all directions, including straight up.

To my amazement out of this fiery inferno rolls a seemingly unscathed command pod with my three brave kerbonauts.

I cheer and giggle over the wonder, and then a piece of debris decides to give up it's fight with gravity and come back down.

On the unscathed command pod, smashing it flat ...

I've done that, minus the smashing of the command pod.

On 3/25/2018 at 4:41 AM, Just Jim said:

VQx6ZBx.png

OK... I'm done playing... :D

Wow! I do need to catch up on Emiko Station! Only a little past the Rock Lady!

Also, this was mine:

rYWVOqY.jpg

On 3/28/2018 at 2:09 AM, NSEP said:

We had a demonstration at school where firemen threw water over hot oil to see what happends. The first explosion was a flop, but JUST when we turned around and left, there was HUUUGEEE fireball.

Don't throw water on burning hot oil everyone!

Sounds like a demonstration at Navy firefighting school...  They had a simulated deep fat fryer (a cube about two feet on a side) that they heated with a big (you know what) propane burner until it caught fire.   Then a guy in a silver fire fighting suit with a gallon of water in a bucket on the end of a long pole went up and poured the bucket into the fryer.  I swear the fireball was two stories tall.

On 2018-04-06 at 11:52 PM, DerekL1963 said:

Sounds like a demonstration at Navy firefighting school...  They had a simulated deep fat fryer (a cube about two feet on a side) that they heated with a big (you know what) propane burner until it caught fire.   Then a guy in a silver fire fighting suit with a gallon of water in a bucket on the end of a long pole went up and poured the bucket into the fryer.  I swear the fireball was two stories tall.

My brothers and I got that effect on a smaller scale at home. We were making lots of homemade French fries in a big pot of hot pork lard (mom had bought half a pig, butchered) with a wire basket. We had the chopped potatoes in a  sinkful of water to prevent them from being discoloured. If we didn’t shake enough water off the spuds before we put the basket in the lard, the boiling water aerosolized some fat, and when the droplets hit the burner.... Fwoooosh!  

That happened a few times that day. Luckily nothing else caught fire. 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.