Duna lander

I made it to Duna so now I want to take a lander to Duna, land and rendezvous with the command module and return to Kerbin. However, I can't figure out how to control the lander after separating from the command module. I think this has something to do with the re root tool but I can't figure out how to manage the command module and lander once they have separated.

Edited by hhatch

Ensure that your ship is carrying the lander, and both of them have command modules (make sure it contains kerbal or have electricity for probes (don't forget solar panels)'. When they are separated, right click the command module on the lander and click "control from here". Now you can fly your lander while your ship is in orbit. When they are redocked, right click the command module on the ship and "control from here" to switch control reference from lander into ship

15 hours ago, hhatch said:

I made it to Duna so now I want to take a lander to Duna, land and rendezvous with the command module and return to Kerbin. However, I can't figure out how to control the lander after separating from the command module. I think this has something to do with the re root tool but I can't figure out how to manage the command module and lander once they have separated.

Is this a probe (unscrewed) lander you're trying to set down on Duna? If so, and you're playing a stock or stock-like game, you'll need both a probe core on the lander and one of two things: either a direct line-of-sight connection to Kerbin to control the lander remotely, or a direct LOS connection to a piloted vessel in orbit nearby that has remote control capabilities AND has two pilots aboard (one for itself and one to control the remote lander).

Edited by LameLefty
typos

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

Is this a probe (unscrewed) lander you're trying to set down on Duna? If so, and you're playing a stock or stock-like game, you'll need both a probe core on the lander and one of two things: either a direct line-of-sight connection to Kerbin to control the lander remotely, or a direct LOS connection to a piloted vessel in orbit nearby that has remote control capabilities AND has two pilots aboard (one for itself and one to control the remote lander).

I'm using an MK 1 lander can. I put a pilot in it and got it operational. I think I read somewhere that I need an engineer to repack chutes. Is this true ? If so I only have room for 1 in the lander and that is currently a pilot. I haven't even got into remote control issues yet. I'll look at that later.

42 minutes ago, hhatch said:

I'm using an MK 1 lander can. I put a pilot in it and got it operational. I think I read somewhere that I need an engineer to repack chutes. Is this true ? If so I only have room for 1 in the lander and that is currently a pilot. I haven't even got into remote control issues yet. I'll look at that later.

That's correct. You'll need an Engineer to repack your parachutes. Not a problem if you have a separate Duna lander and Kerbin-return capsule, or if you have an Engineer waiting in orbit to repack the 'chutes before return. You need to do it from EVA however.

3 hours ago, LameLefty said:

Presuming that Commnet is enabled.  If not, all you need is a probecore or a pilot onboard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.