Custom Craft, inc.

Is there anything you would like to see in KSP? This is the thread for you!

INSTRUCTIONS:

Basically, someone asks the community to build a thing, and then everyone who is interested can post their take.
More specifically:

Requesting:

• State your idea simply and clearly
  • If there are any helpful images or drawings related to your idea, do share!
  • Do not limit anything to stock or require a mod/expansion; I want as many people as possible to participate!
  • Try not to be ridiculous or unrealistic (e.g. put a ring around Gilly or something)
  • Try not to be too simple (e.g. instead of "a VTOL" do "an SSTO VTOL" or something)

Fulfilling:

• Tag the user who you are responding to somewhere
  • Tell us about your craft (especially how to use it)
  • State any mods/expansions that you used, if applicable (Optional: link the mod's forum/curse/spacedock/etc. page)
  • Post screenshots/videos!
  • Link the craft! (I recommend KerbalX)
  • Don't get territorial. Anyone can respond to any request they want.
  • Don't be offended if someone uses one of "your" techniques. (If you are inspired by someone else's stuff, mention them somewhere!)

Time to make stuff...

Edited by prgmTrouble

Alright here's something:

I've been looking for some new plane cockpits to make some fighter jets/spaceplanes with. Would anyone be able to make a new, futuristic-looking cockpit out of stock parts? Bonus points if it doesn't have a lot of drag and/or uses less than 30 parts.

8 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

I've been looking for some new plane cockpits to make some fighter jets/spaceplanes with. Would anyone be able to make a new, futuristic-looking cockpit out of stock parts? Bonus points if it doesn't have a lot of drag and/or uses less than 30 parts.

I have a plane with a custom cockpit (mostly to create an ejector seat). 

Spoiler

IVG1bcd.jpgjR2QIrD.jpg

It looks somewhat futuristic, but I doubt if I could make anything better because it is so hard to force the parts into a mk2-1.25 adapter shape. I'll see what I can do.

On 3/25/2018 at 9:40 PM, quasarrgames said:

It took a bit of trial and error to get all the pieces together, but it's done! 

Craft File

Spoiler

paKcWZZ.jpgjHbdGDD.jpg060qaYV.jpg

5 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

Perhaps @LABenterprises or @He_162 might be able to do it. They are very skilled with car designs. I might give it a shot though...

McLaren P1? I'll give it a go next weekend.

On 3/25/2018 at 11:40 PM, quasarrgames said:

This aircraft has an example of a nice cockpit, higher part count but it works. Drag is unavoidable, so just add more thrust.
https://kerbalx.com/He_162/Rk14

2 hours ago, LABenterprises said:

Just an update on the Mclaren P1 for @eagle92lightning. Life has been a bit of a roadblock recently so the project is taking longer than I originally intended but I should be done after a few weeks give or take.

I'll begin work on mine next weekend then to see if I can't make the legendary P1.

Gotta postpone that P1, I have a prom date. I also took third in a varsity track meet yesterday and have another one Saturday. Will be kind of busy until Sunday and one day isn't enough for my to finish a masterpiece.

I need a couple SSTO's because i cant build them myself. =/ Not good at that. Hoping I can get some stuff custom built.

Idea 1: LKO (sorta) Crew SSTO

• I need a MK 1 or 2 SSTO to transfer 8-12 passangers to a station in LKO around 100-650 Km (ok thats high orbit). Needs a standard docking port and a solid RCS and SAS system. 
  • Specifics
  • 100-450 KM LKO range.  Would like to go up to 650 but 450 is workable.
  • 8-12 Passengers / Tourists 
  • 1-2 Crew a/o autopilot
  • Standard Docking Port
  • At least 1500 EC and a reasonable amount of Mono-prop.
  • Level 2 Research Station  (If you can)
  • Needs to be somewhat controllable in atmosphere on the way back, and should be a intermediate level of skill to fly. 
  • 1.4.2 + MHE compatible 
  •  If there are any helpful images or drawings related to your idea, do share!
  • Eh.. Sorry? Don't have any good ones. 

Idea 1: LKO (sorta) Cargo SSTO

• Same as the first one. Replace passengers with fuel. No need to  stick to  MK 1 or 2 because I assume I will have a fully upgrade KSC when I start needing this.
  • Specifics
  • 100-500 KM LKO range.  Would like to go up to 600 but 500 is workable.
  •  36 -18 Tons of cargo capacity 
  • 1-2 Crew a/o autopilot
  • Standard Docking Port Compatible. Does not need to be able to dock itself (Though it would be nice), but I need to be able to dock to it in case of kraken attacks.
  • Should be able to accommodate your average Rockomax Jumbo or X200
  • Early Level 3 Research if possible
  • Needs to be somewhat controllable in atmosphere on the way back, and should be a intermediate level of skill to fly. 
  • 1.4.2 + MHE compatible 

Thank you guys in advance! 

5 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

Congratulations! Also, what event do you do? It just so happens that I do varsity high jump.

Middle distance. 600 / 800 / 1200 / 1600, although its mostly just 600 and 800 meter runs.
If you wanna know more just PM me, I don't want to derail this thread. -On a side note, Prom was moved to Sunday due to weather so I have no time on Sunday either what with work today and track practice tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2018 at 12:02 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

Idea 1: LKO (sorta) Crew SSTO

• I need a MK 1 or 2 SSTO to transfer 8-12 passangers to a station in LKO around 100-650 Km (ok thats high orbit). Needs a standard docking port and a solid RCS and SAS system. 
  • Specifics
  • 100-450 KM LKO range.  Would like to go up to 650 but 450 is workable.
  • 8-12 Passengers / Tourists 
  • 1-2 Crew a/o autopilot
  • Standard Docking Port
  • At least 1500 EC and a reasonable amount of Mono-prop.
  • Level 2 Research Station  (If you can)
  • 1.4.2 + MHE compatible 

I completed an SSTO for @Mark Kerbin's request above. It technically does not satisfy the EC requirement, but I added solar panels cuz "infinite EC." Also, the aesthetic I was going for did not really fit the research station. I did, however, make it perfectly balanced for reentry with an average amount of excess fuel. Craft download and picture are here.

For Idea 2, I am thinking of a rocket type SSTO that can do a powered landing. It'll take a while, as you can probably imagine...

On 4/13/2018 at 12:02 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

Idea 2: LKO (sorta) Cargo SSTO

• Same as the first one. Replace passengers with fuel. No need to  stick to  MK 1 or 2 because I assume I will have a fully upgrade KSC when I start needing this.
  • Specifics
  • 100-500 KM LKO range.  Would like to go up to 600 but 500 is workable.
  •  36 -18 Tons of cargo capacity 
  • 1-2 Crew a/o autopilot
  • Standard Docking Port Compatible. Does not need to be able to dock itself (Though it would be nice), but I need to be able to dock to it in case of kraken attacks.
  • Should be able to accommodate your average Rockomax Jumbo or X200
  • Early Level 3 Research if possible
  • 1.4.2 + MHE compatible 

I just completed @Mark Kerbin's second idea. It requires some top tier research to acquire the necessary parts, but it will reach a 600km orbit and return with plenty of ΔV to land. That is with an 81t payload, btw. Craft and pictures here!

I'll probably do another craft to satisfy the level 3 research specification later!

Edited by prgmTrouble

• I need a MK 3 SSTO Spaceplane capable of both cargo and passengers
  • Must be somewhat easy to get to orbit for SSTO noob
  • Specifics
  • 500 KM LKO range.  Bonus points for interplanetary+mining
  • 16 Passengers 
  • 1-4 Crew 
  • ~80t to 500KM 
  • Standard 1.25 Docking Port
  • At least some EC storage and generation
  • Decent SAS and RCS capabilities
  • Needs to be stable during re-entry and have some post entry atmospheric range 

On 4/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, raptorpilot said:
  • I need a MK 3 SSTO Spaceplane capable of both cargo and passengers
  • Must be somewhat easy to get to orbit for SSTO noob
  • Specifics
  • 500 KM LKO range.  Bonus points for interplanetary+mining
  • 16 Passengers 
  • 1-4 Crew 
  • ~80t to 500KM 
  • Standard 1.25 Docking Port
  • At least some EC storage and generation
  • Decent SAS and RCS capabilities
  • Needs to be stable during re-entry and have some post entry atmospheric range 

I finally got @raptorpilot's request sort-of done. Craft and pictures here!

Unfortunately, this is not a plane, and it certainly is not easy to fly. It will go to a 500km circular orbit with everything intact, however it is almost impossible to get back in the atmosphere. I somehow managed to get everything there and back safely using MechJeb and some intense number crunching, so it is theoretically possible...

@prgmTroubleCould I have a ssto that is a mk2 type plane and can get to mun maybe and back? if not just one that can get to LKO and has a crew cabin and docking port maybe? Maybe inline port also for power could you put the panels which are 2 by 6 and can fold back down. thank you.

I hope you understand what I am saying just a simple SSTO that can maybe get to the mun or just orbit kerbin and dock with a station

Edit I want to maybe also have one that can go to jool and its moons for the jool 5 challenge so can you put a drill in it and a ISRU ?

Edited by Elon Kerman Jr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.