The Soyuz side booster tank has an error in its config

fourfa

The Soyuz-style tapered side booster tank (FL-C1000) has an error in its config file.  The stock Size1p5_Tank_05.cfg (in GameData/SquadExpansion/Making History/FuelTank) contains the lines:

CoMOffset = 0.2, -1.0, 0.0
CoPOffset = 0.25, 0.5, 0.0

Presumably to put the center of mass and (I assume) center of pressure away from whatever the model origin is.  The result is this:

pXHZXPr.jpg

And when attached Soyuz-style to a rocket and staged away, the behavior is as follows:

oLIRfPA.jpg

I wish I could take credit for realizing where the problem lies - the Twitch streamer @DasValdez today immediately guessed that one of the offset axes had accidentally been flipped at some point.  I made adjustments in the following patch: 

// Adjust centers of mass and pressure of FL-C1000 'Soyuz' fuel tank in KSP Making History for 1.4.1
// Author: Fourfa
// x, z, y relative to VAB door?

@PART[Size1p5_Tank_05]:FINAL
{
	@CoMOffset = 0.0, -1.0, 0.2
	@CoPOffset = 0.0, 0.5, 0.25
}

Note that I have simply swapped the values in the first and third rows.  With zero other changes made to rocket or flight path, the following is the result:

PuDOUT3.jpg

iZTmora.jpg

If you've been wondering why you don't get the expected symmetric Korolev Cross, this is why.  Hope this helps.

Edited by fourfa

5 hours ago, fourfa said:

I wish I could take credit for realizing where the problem lies - the Twitch streamer @DasValdez today immediately guessed that one of the offset axes had accidentally been flipped at some point.  

Hey! I posted about this last Wednesday!  What took him so long? :wink:

17 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Dang it, I knew I’d seen a thread like that somewhere. Too many sub forums to check now

Yes, perhaps another subforum or two would help.   What I am doing is putting what I consider confirmed bugs in the Support subforum, and issues that are up for debate I am putting in the discussion subforum.   Indeed, there are currently threads in PC Tech Support, Game Suggestions, Making History General, Making History Support, and of course General Discussions; all over the joint for sure.

• 1 month later...

For an obvious bug thats been reported 2.5 months ago, and somehow missed being included in 2 different patches, I wonder if it's been forgotten?  Its literally a 35 second fix for the developers, not exaggerating.

Please, if you have an account on the bugtracker, upvote, comment, somehow bring more attention to this being skipped:

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18266

Edited by klesh

• 3 weeks later...

Yea...this is annoying...not sure what they're doing over there. 1.4.3 is unplayable for me due to the fairing issues - both the aerodynamic and visual glitches make every rocket I launch looked wrong and perform poorly. 

Edited by Tyko

The bugtracker has had it listed as "Being Worked On" since 3/29/18... and its literally just changing a few numbers in the .cfg file.  I am not sure what's going on either. 

• 3 weeks later...

I see nothing in the 1.4.4 patch notes indicating a fix for this, but indeed Size1p5_Tank_05.cfg now has exactly the swapped values fourfa posted in his fix.  Can anyone else confirm the stealthfix?

It took exactly 100 days for this fix, but apparently it has in fact happened.

Edited by klesh

On 6/21/2018 at 11:09 AM, klesh said:

I see nothing in the 1.4.4 patch notes indicating a fix for this, but indeed Size1p5_Tank_05.cfg now has exactly the swapped values fourfa posted in his fix.  Can anyone else confirm the stealthfix?

It took exactly 100 days for this fix, but apparently it has in fact happened.

I tested it yesterday and it looks like it's working

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.