Landform Names

Kernel Kraken

I was wondering if there's any official landform names from squad, like naming the craters and canyons and mountains or something. 

If there isn't, wouldn't it be cool to start a community effort to do it and update the wiki page accordingly?

Or we could just do Dres' to raise awareness!

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

6 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

I was wondering if there's any official landform names from squad, like naming the craters and canyons and mountains or something. 

I've never seen one, and I think I've seen it mentioned that there never will be.  Right up there with an official storyline for career.  An official canon could inhibit player-based storylines, which are thriving quite nicely.

6 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

If there isn't, wouldn't it be cool to start a community effort to do it and update the wiki page accordingly?

I see a lot of arguing, angry edits, and precisely nothing getting done.  I mean, we can't even make up our minds IRL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali–Mount_McKinley_naming_dispute

When I was in school we had FOUR oceans.

https://sciencetrends.com/many-oceans-world/

Edited by Geonovast

21 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

When I was in school we had FOUR oceans.

https://sciencetrends.com/many-oceans-world/

I had to think about that one, and yeah, I never knew about the southern Ocean until I got into yacht racing.  But it makes sense to have an Ocean down there that gives boundaries to the others.

As to the OP, there have been many threads on this (though I haven't seen any recently), I think the FanWorks section has them.  Some of them were quite involved, with histories and politics.

There is at least one mountain with a community accepted name: "Mount  Whoopstooshort", the mountain (Sharp Peak) west of the KSC, canon since @Kuzzter`s Missionreports, Kerballore and worshipped crashsite of thousands of SSTOs, Gliders and Shuttles.

There are numerous labelled places around the Kerbol system, missioncoordinates are sometimes named like "Bills Endevour" and so on.

Oh, makes sense. Wouldn't want to interfere in fan works, those are better than any official cannon.

Mount Whoopstooshort? I've honestly never heard of it. Thanks for that bit of knowledge!

I still think we should name that massive crater on Dres 'Death Star Crater' or 'Anikin Crater'. No one likes dres, sadly, so I don't think many would care, or we could call the equatorial canyon 'Exaust Port' it something of the like.

Here is a couple of pages of people not agreeing on what the tallest mountain on Kerbin should be named.

The suggestions were: 

Mt. Kraken

Mt. Keverest

Kerbonicus Maximus

Mt. Kerman

Mt. Scott

Mt. Mechjeb

Mt. Nibrek

K2

Mt. Lemnon

Kerbali

Mt. Jeberest

K1

Mt. Kermanjaro

As you can see, opinions are like "certain things" everyone has.  The only ones who can really put a definitive stamp on things in game is Squad, and for about 7 years now, none of these places have been officially named.

Edited by klesh

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

That's a blatant lie, sir.

Not saying I don't like Dres, i'm currently working on a Dress Awareness mission. Just saying most of the community dosen't like it, and wouldn't mind if we named some stuff. 

Really though, am I the only one who thinks Dres somewhat resembles the Death Star?

Wait... The DRES STAR. No, that's horrible. 

Just now, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Not saying I don't like Dres, in currently working on a Dress Awareness mission. Just saying mist of the community dosen't like it. 

Oh I know.  It's actually my favorite planet.  Remote, perfect gravity, interesting terrain, lots of asteroids.  I know it's  pain to get to, but still I had a lot of fun doing that challenge.

I need to go back... and name all the things.... apparently.

2 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Oh I know.  It's actually my favorite planet.  Remote, perfect gravity, interesting terrain, lots of asteroids.  I know it's  pain to get to, but still I had a lot of fun doing that challenge.

I need to go back... and name all the things.... apparently.

I'll rephrase the OP to say name Dres' Landforms.

The only player-created terrain-feature name I've seen pretty much nobody dispute is Booster Bay for the body of water east of KSC that everyone... drops... boosters... in.

I also like Cape Shame for the peninsula across Booster Bay that so many failed SSTO attempts come down to after their suborbital flight.

6 hours ago, RoboRay said:

The only player-created terrain-feature name I've seen pretty much nobody dispute is Booster Bay for the body of water east of KSC that everyone... drops... boosters... in.

I also like Cape Shame for the peninsula across Booster Bay that so many failed SSTO attempts come down to after their suborbital flight.

These are good. I'll try to put together a map of what I think stuff should be called, just for fun. I don't think the community will use it but whatever.

I never knew there were semi-official names for this stuff, thanks!

I like that....

Well that's a helluva lot more original than the "Kalaysia" I've been calling it, since in my mind it resembles Malaysia, even though it has no no resemblance to it at all. 

13 hours ago, klesh said:

Here is a couple of pages of people not agreeing on what the tallest mountain on Kerbin should be named.

BAHAHAHAHA!   Figured I glance through that thread...  Was briefly upset that somebody stole my Avatar, then I realized I had posted in that thread.  LOL

11 hours ago, RoboRay said:

What - you mean the Great Tranquil Sea? :) And yes - that is a blatant riff on the Sea of Tranquility - why do you ask?

There were quite a few threads on this kind of thing a few years back. Try a forum search for the Kerbin Geographic and Science Society or KGSS.

Personally I don't see the harm in a few more canon names - it would add a bit of depth to the stock game. Writing alternative universe (AU) stories is a pretty established thing in fanfiction anyway, so I don't see that having canon names would interfere much with player based storylines. 

Edited by KSK

The only places I've really assigned names to are on Minmus, in the spots where I like to build bases.  They're not particularly strikingly original, but they're useful to my thinking.   For instance, the very tall flat(tish)-topped mountain just east of Great Flats on the equator is the Great Mesa, and the extension of the Lesser Flats to 0 degrees latitude is South Bay.

I do a lot of long rover missions across large distances. During those journeys I plant a flag to the most significant land formations I can find, but at least once every 100km. I usually try to come up with an original and descriptive names for those places. All my names are in Finnish language so I don't think they are transferable to common usage in the fandom, but I do use them in my own thinking and it makes the places much more real to me.

Once KerbNet came out, I had this brilliant idea that I'd use it to "discover" the names of various places.  But, I soon discovered it was a waste of time, as the names weren't persistent or specific to the locations.

Additional thought:   Hm.  Wonder if it's possible to write a mod that displays feature names in Tracking Station and/or Map mode?  You could perhaps name a feature, input it, and then it would display, either as a waypoint-like icon or words "written" on the surface.   [I know it's not possible for me to write it, though, unless I can use SQL to do it.  :D ]

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

I just went with the hopefully non-controversial north/south/central/east/west names when I established ye-olde head canon for the landmasses. 

Naming other landforms? There are a few, such as the previously mentioned K2, North Mountain (which holds an anomaly, well north of the space center), Puerto Kabat (at the southern tip of the desert peninsula on the West Continent; in older versions this was where I’d burn to deorbit and land at the space center), Lake Fortunate, etc. Many other landforms I named after the kerbals that landed near or crashed into them.

kerbin_launchsites.jpg

(Ignore the launch site names (smaller/orange text). Though I do still prefer the name Sky’s Reach to Baikurbananaramanaur.....)

3 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Additional thought:   Hm.  Wonder if it's possible to write a mod that displays feature names in Tracking Station and/or Map mode?  You could perhaps name a feature, input it, and then it would display, either as a waypoint-like icon or words "written" on the surface. 

I think so? It’d be a bit of work I think, but it certainly seems plausible based on what I know. Might even already exist. Sounds like a good suggestion to take over to the Mod Discussion forum. 

Maybe everybody understands The Crater or Gulf of Crater or so — on Kerbin.
(Splitted accurately into halves on this map).

Spoiler

Maybe this is what killed kinosaurs.

P.S.
We can see that Kontinents look like deformed Earth continets.
Say, KSC is on Zanzibar (the landmass looks like Africa), four islands to the east correspond to Madagascar, one of the mountains to the North is probably Kilimanjaro.
Unlikely Squad team were drawing this by hands. Probably they have some utility which converts Earth coordinates to Kerbin ones and makes a deformed Earth map.
In this case it is probably bidirectional, and it's possible to recalculate any geographical object on Kerbin to it prototype's coordinates on Earth.

P.P.S.
The Channel or La Manche?

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Maybe everybody understands The Crater or Gulf of Crater or so — on Kerbin.
(Splitted accurately into halves on this map).

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe this is what killed kinosaurs.

P.S.
We can see that Kontinents look like deformed Earth continets.
Say, KSC is on Zanzibar (the landmass looks like Africa), four islands to the east correspond to Madagascar, one of the mountains to the North is probably Kilimanjaro.
Unlikely Squad team were drawing this by hands. Probably they have some utility which converts Earth coordinates to Kerbin ones and makes a deformed Earth map.
In this case it is probably bidirectional, and it's possible to recalculate any geographical object on Kerbin to it prototype's coordinates on Earth.

P.P.S.
The Channel or La Manche?

I prefer the CHANNEL of Stuff. What channel are we talking about? 

I wonder if squad just game a 3-year-old a pencil paper, and a globe and told them to draw all the continents. If they did use some kind of deformation tool, I wonder if we can find it somewhere out there and de scramble it. Though it does seem like some continents are just made up.

Sorry to burst your Kerbin-Earth conspiracy theory bubble, but Kerbin is LITERALLY one of the sample programs and seeds that came with a turorial in an older version of libnoise, with a few manual tweaks (the Crater, for one). Felipe talked about it either in one of the DevBlogs or some other such post that I can’t find just now.

See: http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/examples/complexplanet/index.html

Also: http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/tutorials/tutorial8.html

Edited by Cydonian Monk

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, Mikki said:

There is at least one mountain with a community accepted name: "Mount  Whoopstooshort", the mountain (Sharp Peak) west of the KSC, canon since Kuzzter's Missionreports, Kerballore and worshipped crashsite of thousands of SSTOs, Gliders and Shuttles.

I have another name for that mountain and range. The forum would censure it though.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Now we know how the Earth was designed...

No... that was Slartibartfast.   He won an award for the Fjords of Norway.  He just loves doing Fjords.

---

Now that I think of it, there are named locations on Kerbin, by Squad.  Nye Island, Harvester Massif, to name a few.    I do think Hawking *something* should be included here too. 

2 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

There are of course Harvester Massif and Nye Island

Whoops..... missed this one... 'ninja'd'?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.