Parachute for Kerbals ?

Pawelk198604

7 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

If you're playing career, your kerbals need to be a certain level before they can use them.

Level 256, you can only tell what half of the Kerbal is as the games memory cache can't keep up. Or is that Pac-Man....

It's actually level 3.

1 minute ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Level 256, you can only tell what half of the Kerbal is as the games memory cache can't keep up. Or is that Pac-Man....

It's actually level 3.

WRONG

None of my current Kerbals in career are lvl3. And all of them can use parachutes.
If there actually IS a limiting factor it most certainly is NOT Kerbal experience!

6 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

WRONG

None of my current Kerbals in career are lvl3. And all of them can use parachutes.
If there actually IS a limiting factor it most certainly is NOT Kerbal experience!

Huh, I thought it was a specific level. I'll check the wiki.

EDIT: nothing in the wiki.

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

52 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

So how to do so?

In sandbox, right click on them and select “deploy parachute”.

2 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

WRONG

2 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Huh, I thought it was a specific level. I'll check the wiki.

EDIT: nothing in the wiki.

Might be Astronaut Complex. It limits what Kerbals can do. Level 2 is what you need to EVA. 

Also there is a hotkey to open (default - P, can be changed in game settings).

In context menu you can set altitude to open it automatically.

Unlike VNG parachutes, seems that you can't bail out all at once or open all chutes at once by a single hotkey.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

It's actually level 3.

That is what the change-log says:
* EVA Chute - Kerbals of Level 3 and above have a personal steerable chute
And, that is how it works in my install of KSP version 1.4.1

1 hour ago, OHara said:

That is what the change-log says:
* EVA Chute - Kerbals of Level 3 and above have a personal steerable chute
And, that is how it works in my install of KSP version 1.4.1

but how get Kerbal to that level?

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Unlike VNG parachutes, seems that you can't bail out all at once or open all chutes at once by a single hotkey.

VNG chutes will be upgraded soon for 1.4.1

14 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

Do stuff. Fly rockets into space.  Go on an EVA. Etc

22 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

In my experience you have to have a kerbal aboard when planting a flag on the mun and minmus, plus escape Kerbin SOI (fly out until you're orbiting the sun and do a quick burn to fall back to kerbin). Seems like a high bar to use parachutes. Really it should be unlocked after 1 star. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

Really it should be unlocked after 1 star. 

In my opinion, any Kerbal qualified to climb into a command pod ought to be able to use a parachute.  At the VERY LEAST, any Kerbal who can EVA (that's all of them except tourists, after the Astronaut Complex is upgraded once) ought to be able to pull the D-ring to release the parachute on his maneuvering pack.

Say!  Has anyone tried enabling RCS while a Kerbal is under parachute?  If so, will W give enough forward impulse to climb (like a parasail motor)?

4 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Has anyone tried enabling RCS while a Kerbal is under parachute?  If so, will W give enough forward impulse to climb (like a parasail motor)?

nope, it can't be done

i really hope lower level kerbals can use chutes too, just unsteerable

17 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Really it should be unlocked after 1 star.

But it IS! I said it before but I'll say it again: NONE of my Kerbals are 3star. ALL have parachutes.

The change log or the wiki can say anything it wants. That doesn't mean it is actually true.
Either the game is bugged or the changelog/wiki is just plain wrong.

19 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

But it IS! I said it before but I'll say it again: NONE of my Kerbals are 3star. ALL have parachutes.

The change log or the wiki can say anything it wants. That doesn't mean it is actually true.
Either the game is bugged or the changelog/wiki is just plain wrong.

Oh good. I haven't tested myself, just played around in sandbox so far.

Ok I think I have a vague idea of how this works. (I may be super wrong, but here goes)

Settings for this can be changed in the save setup. I believe the default is that Pilots and BadS always have chutes, and there rest is lvl 3+ 

The astronaut complex may have an effect but I'm not entirely sure.

This has also probably shifted between the beta 1.4 and the actual release so *Insert shrug emoji here*

I just started a new Science game in 1.4.1/MH to test who has parachutes.  I found no setting for parachutes in Custom Difficulty, and (with Kerbal Experience enabled) no-stars Jeb did not have a parachute when EVA from a Jumping Flea (at the pad, or in flight at 125 m/s).  I haven't thought to look for parachutes on EVA Kerbals (ranging from 1 to 2 stars) in my ongoing career save (with fully upgraded launch complex, except admin building).

On 3/25/2018 at 1:41 PM, Pawelk198604 said:

You probably saw above: send that Kerbal on at trip outside Kerbin's sphere of influence, on orbit of the Mun and landing on Minmus, and then return home, so he has 3 stars on his next flight.

If you want to do the Vostok mission, though, you want to use EVA parachutes on your first flight.  When you start a new career-mode game you can choose "Difficulty Options" -> "Advanced" -> "Enable Kerbal Experience" OFF;  then all Kerbals will start at level 5, and have EVA parachutes on their first flight.

In my installation of KSP ver 1.4.1, Kerbals with 1 star or more from old saves get EVA chutes;  newly-hired Kerbals in version 1.4.1 do not get EVA chutes until they have 3 stars.

Edited by OHara

1 hour ago, OHara said:

You probably saw above: send that Kerbal on at trip outside Kerbin's sphere of influence, on orbit of the Mun and landing on Minmus, and then return home, so he has 3 stars on his next flight.

If you want to do the Vostok mission, though, you want to use EVA parachutes on your first flight.  When you start a new career-mode game you can choose "Difficulty Options" -> "Advanced" -> "Enable Kerbal Experience" OFF;  then all Kerbals will start at level 5, and have EVA parachutes on their first flight.

In my installation of KSP ver 1.4.1, Kerbals with 1 star or more from old saves get EVA chutes;  newly-hired Kerbals in version 1.4.1 do not get EVA chutes until they have 3 stars.

But this is stupid! i want to recreate vostok mission how i can do this if i can do this :( 

On 25.3.2018 at 7:58 PM, kerbiloid said:

You can also eva earlier, on runway, pad or space and deploy parachute, in this case it will automaticaly deploy if you eva and release ladder in atmosphere. 
This is very nice for high risk stuff. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.