Sign in to follow this  
SanderB

How can I set score to something other than a fixed number?

Is there a way to award score based on formulas instead of fixed numbers? For example, Can I make the game convert a vessel's periapsis directly into the score of the mission? I'd like my mission to have a fluid score system that rewards efficiency.

5 hours ago, SanderB said:

Is there a way to award score based on formulas instead of fixed numbers? For example, Can I make the game convert a vessel's periapsis directly into the score of the mission? I'd like my mission to have a fluid score system that rewards efficiency.

Yeah, I'd love that too.  Would be so nice to have formula-based scores, e.g. "Land at this spot, your score is X minus the number of meters of distance", or "you get 100 points per unit of fuel remaining at the end of the mission", or whatever.

Alas, I believe it's impossible, they simply don't have it.

So the only way to model it is to have a set of discrete scores and a complicated if/else branching structure.  e.g. "You get N points if you finish with at least 100 units of fuel, M points if you finish with at least 200," etc.

I've found this post which explains a method that works by measuring the fuel remaining in a vessel. Most of the nodes involved in this mechanism need to be set to activate more than once. So it is already possible in a way to measure efficiency directly via fuel.