[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

1 hour ago, VostokV5 said:

I uninstalled this mod but I still have the modular launch pads category in my advanced mode tabs and all of my parts' icons still has that little cross on the top right corner.  https://imgur.com/a/WTPXbTu

Probably a duplicate part category .cfg was created in the Squad folder.  Happens if you manually add a part to a custom category in the VAB when there is a mod-created custom category (like mine) as well

Go to GameData/Squad/PartList and delete the PartCategories.cfg file if it is there.

Oh yeah, if you didn't know what those pipe bits are on the BDB Atlas booster skirt, I'm pretty sure they are the RP-1 and LOX fueling inlets, as they have pipes connected to them in photos. So I put in some fueling pipes to connect to them. :)  They will be toggleable on/off if something other than an Atlas is being used with the stand.

I'm also going to make the Atlas Stand's clamps and side umbilicals separate parts for use with other launch bases. 

The new Atlas Launch Stand is done and now on the AlphaDev branch of the GitHub.

Also on the AlphaDev branch are the separate standalone versions of the Atlas Side Clamp Arm and Side Umbilical, for use with other launch bases and plates (the separate side umbilical may not be as easily used though :D )

aKXPsqh.png

There also is a craft file for the BDB Atlas on the new stand; it's just the Atlas with no payload/upper stage/spacecraft, and no towers or other accessories. It's mainly for demo purposes, showing how the Atlas is placed on the stand.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:03 AM, AlphaMensae said:

Probably a duplicate part category .cfg was created in the Squad folder.  Happens if you manually add a part to a custom category in the VAB when there is a mod-created custom category (like mine) as well

Go to GameData/Squad/PartList and delete the PartCategories.cfg file if it is there.

Thank you very much. Great job on the launch pads :)

18 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

The new Atlas Launch Stand is done and now on the AlphaDev branch of the GitHub.

Just downloaded and tried it -- it looks and works great! I've been hoping for this one and you nailed it. Thanks for adding this!

(i had some paw options disappear at one point, but it must have been a ksp issue as it seems fine now ... sorry for the edits here!)

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
updated

Thanks all!  It was a long time coming, to finally render those FASA "Atlas" clamps obsolete. :D 

Now to finish out the whole Atlas set:

> A 4th Mini Modular tower, larger in size and with multiple heights in the single section. Will act as the Atlas-Agena/Centaur tower with a switchable truss style and external pipes, so it might get called the Atlas Mini Multi-Modular Tower or something.  Obviously other towers can be used as well. :) 

> Special Atlas-Agena and Atlas-Centaur umbilical arms, those weird upward-rotating arms for those upper stages. The Agena one is a single bent type, while the Centaur arm is actually two beam-like things which are located on top of the tower, so there will be multiple mounting options for all the various towers..

Made several launches last night with the new stand.  Worked flawlessly, however one minor request on the pad - positioning the Mercury-Atlas crew elevator is kinda a PITA because there's no quick attach point at the right angle (approx. 45 degrees) to help rotate and locate.  I think now that I got the position right it's good and I setup a Sub-Assembly with it positioned, but I think for other users who might not be as amenable to spending 15-20 minutes getting it setup would appreciate it.

5 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Made several launches last night with the new stand.  Worked flawlessly, however one minor request on the pad - positioning the Mercury-Atlas crew elevator is kinda a PITA because there's no quick attach point at the right angle (approx. 45 degrees) to help rotate and locate.  I think now that I got the position right it's good and I setup a Sub-Assembly with it positioned, but I think for other users who might not be as amenable to spending 15-20 minutes getting it setup would appreciate it.

Blame CobaltWolf for rotating the hatch on the new BDB Mercury capsule :P :D

I'll see about adding some rotated nodes for the Atlas elevator.

6 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Blame CobaltWolf for rotating the hatch on the new BDB Mercury capsule :P :D

I'll see about adding some rotated nodes for the Atlas elevator.

Actually, he has it right.  The Mercury-Atlas elevator and service tower was placed at a 45* angle to the rest of the pad (see below).

24 minutes ago, CAPFlyer said:

Actually, he has it right.  The Mercury-Atlas elevator and service tower was placed at a 45* angle to the rest of the pad (see below).

Yeah, I know, I was just kidding. :P The Mercury was just like all the other capsules, but nooooooo, he had to go make it, gasp, real! :D 

All I was able to do was to add four diagonal-positioned (at the 45° "corners") to the Atlas Launch Stand.  This is better, as manually rotating the elevator allows the offset gizmo in local mode to match the rotated axes.  Really, if this is too much trouble for a more realistic setup, then either rotate the capsule 45° or just use the Mk-1 pod. :P :D

The revised Atlas stand is now on the AlphaDev branch, along with a revised Atlas Elevator walkway (fixed up a minor mesh and texture issue).

An updated BDB Mercury-Atlas MLP v2_1 craft file is also on the AlphaDev branch; it now has the Atlas Launch Stand.

Slight request here.

1.10's out, along with the stock Ariane 5—and we're missing one thing in this mod because of it:
Ariane_5_launch_pad.jpg

Yep, that's right! ELA-3's assembly building!

EDIT: Better picture of the assembly building and the launch tower
ESA - Ariane 5 with Envisat on the launch pad

Edited by JoMiMi

8 hours ago, JoMiMi said:

Slight request here.

1.10's out, along with the stock Ariane 5—and we're missing one thing in this mod because of it:

Yep, that's right! ELA-3's assembly building!

The only thing that I would make are the Ariane V hold-downs and maybe the"tower", but that will be for the future. The rest is better suited for Kerbal Konstructs.  Speaking of which......

There is a KK pack for the ESA pads! :) 

One thing I did notice with Mercury-Atlas is that if you try to use the Front setting for the crew access arm, then the length of the crew arm means that the umbilical can no longer reach the capsule. Using either the left or right setting allows you to move the elevator close enough for the umbilical to reach.

5 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

One thing I did notice with Mercury-Atlas is that if you try to use the Front setting for the crew access arm, then the length of the crew arm means that the umbilical can no longer reach the capsule. Using either the left or right setting allows you to move the elevator close enough for the umbilical to reach.

That front setting is for conventional KSP capsules (like the stock Mk 1) on non-Atlas rockets, where the Mercury umbilical wouldn't be used. :) 

22 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

All I was able to do was to add four diagonal-positioned (at the 45° "corners") to the Atlas Launch Stand.  This is better, as manually rotating the elevator allows the offset gizmo in local mode to match the rotated axes.  Really, if this is too much trouble for a more realistic setup, then either rotate the capsule 45° or just use the Mk-1 pod. :P :D

The revised Atlas stand is now on the AlphaDev branch, along with a revised Atlas Elevator walkway (fixed up a minor mesh and texture issue).

An updated BDB Mercury-Atlas MLP v2_1 craft file is also on the AlphaDev branch; it now has the Atlas Launch Stand.

Thanks man.  I'm personally fine tweaking a little from there, it just makes it much easier than having to do it by hand. :)

14 minutes ago, Sampa said:

Hey Alpha, real quick, but, is there any special way we need to install the patches for specific vehicles, such as Raidernick's Russian spacecraft?

Do you mean the included patches, or do you want to make your own?

The included ones run if the associated mod is installed; there are two for RN stuff: US Rockets and Soviet Rockets. Unless you didn't copy over or deleted the patches folder, then just copy it from the .zip back into ModularLaunchPads. :)