[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

14 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

forgive me as the answer is most likely staring me in the head but i havent downloaded much from github, how do i download the V2 Dev Branch and install it? So i will need to install it along side v1.3.8 to have everything this mod offers but what do i download.

Ok, firs go to the AlphaDev branch, either by this direct link or selecting it from the "Branch" drop-down menu

zPWh7Wo.png

Then click the green "Clone or download" button and select download.  This will downoad a copy of everything in this branch as a .zip file.

Put the AlphaDev folder from the .zip into GameData, as a separate folder; do not put into the ModularLaunchPads folder.  These dev builds are standalone, but they don't have other things in the current release of Modular Launch Pads.

The folders with the launch clamp versions of the Saturn mobile launcher base and shuttle launch platform can be merged (or copied into) the AlphaDev folder.  Craft files and subsassemblies go into their respective folders in your KSP save folder.

The v2 Saturn parts can be searched with "saturn v2", and the shuttle pad parts can be searched by "shuttle launcher".

The part descriptions are still a bit rough and unfinished, so there might be confusing bits in them.

48 minutes ago, TK-313 said:

Hello @AlphaMensae, I'm sorry to ask since this appears so far off the current topic, but are there any plans to add the twin service towers to the Soyuz launch pad?

Yep, I do have plans to make those, just not sure when it will happen.  The big Soyuz pad is due for a remake anyway (it was given a partial remake, but being the oldest pad of mine it's still mostly assembled in Unity out of small bits), so I'll make them then.  One expected feature is a 6-way hold-down arrangement for Proton. :)

Edited by AlphaMensae

In the midst of all the work on the general pads, I decided to finally make the long-delayed American Launch Stand, a simple ring-style launch clamp inspired by that used for Redstone and Jupiter and probably others.

Still a WIP, more features will be added, but the basic hold-down bolts are working:

On 11/8/2018 at 11:16 AM, AlphaMensae said:

Ok, firs go to the AlphaDev branch, either by this direct link or selecting it from the "Branch" drop-down menu

zPWh7Wo.png

Then click the green "Clone or download" button and select download.  This will downoad a copy of everything in this branch as a .zip file.

Put the AlphaDev folder from the .zip into GameData, as a separate folder; do not put into the ModularLaunchPads folder.  These dev builds are standalone, but they don't have other things in the current release of Modular Launch Pads.

The folders with the launch clamp versions of the Saturn mobile launcher base and shuttle launch platform can be merged (or copied into) the AlphaDev folder.  Craft files and subsassemblies go into their respective folders in your KSP save folder.

The v2 Saturn parts can be searched with "saturn v2", and the shuttle pad parts can be searched by "shuttle launcher".

The part descriptions are still a bit rough and unfinished, so there might be confusing bits in them.

THANKS

On 11/9/2018 at 11:27 AM, AlphaMensae said:

Yep, I do have plans to make those, just not sure when it will happen.  The big Soyuz pad is due for a remake anyway (it was given a partial remake, but being the oldest pad of mine it's still mostly assembled in Unity out of small bits), so I'll make them then.  One expected feature is a 6-way hold-down arrangement for Proton. :)

Oh yes, please make this happen whenever, because i've craved a mod like this since I bought KSP about 2 years ago. In the mean time, i've just been using 2 crew towers to double as the service towers at the moment lol

The American Launch Stand now has the service umbilical pole, with switchable heights and umbilical connector lengths.

It was inspired by the pole (or maybe it's a stiff hose) that falls away during Redstone/Jupiter launches, like here in Freedom 7's launch (Alan Shepard).

More than one can be added to the stand, and you don't have to release it at engine start. :) 

It and the stand are still WIP, more features are coming.

Been busy at work (as well as work ;)  ) on the American Launch Stand.  All the core size configurations are put in, the service pole finished, and a new tower with drop umbilicals has been added.  This is a custom tower for the stand, as it's limited to 18m max height due to the 20m height limit for the Tier 1 launch pad in career mode.  The umbilicals are actually the prototype for what the new general swing arms and drop hoses will be like:  they are "stretchy", i.e. have a telescopic extension that can be adjusted with a deploy limit slider, so far easier to adapt to various tank sizes and tower positions. These umbilicals even have a retracting end connector.

Still more work to be done, like adding color variants to the umbilicals, putting in the rest of the stand and tower color options, and adding integrated side clamps as an alternative or addition to the bolts.

And here's a litle demo of it, with a BDB Vanguard launch at the end (done normally ;)  ):

The American Launch Stand now has the side clamps as an option:

Yeah, Redstone didn't use side clamps like these, but an Atlas won't fit on this round stand...will need the rectangular one. :)

The yellow color is just for the red version of the stand, the other versions get bluish-gray clamps. :P

Now working on the rectangular version of the round American Launch Stand, simply called the Rectangular Launch Stand.

It's not a full-size rectangular shape, which would be too much like the full-size launch pads, so the intent was for rockets with small side boosters...well, actually the BDB Atlas was the target. :)

Got the 1.875m configuration done, so did that little test.

The American Launch Stands--both round and rectangular versions--are now finished, and they, the tower and associated parts are now on the Github, AlphaDev branch.

One major change is the addition of an integrated service pole into both stand versions.  It's the same pole as the separate one (only the short mount type for the rectangular stand), but with a built-in pole the stands can actually be a complete 1-part launch clamp "pad", much like the Russian Launch Stand.

GegcBmA.png

Two more colors were added, the green and gray-drab from the Soyuz and Russian Launch Stands.

18 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Will it be possible to remove the white stripes from the small tower and go for a solid-colored look?

Yeah, it is possible...quite easily, actually.  And after some more thought, I'll make the red+white version a single separate variant, and the other color variants will be a solid-colored.

The red-white alternating pattern was used on the Vanguard tower, and is still used on some other towers today.  However, it doesn't really work well with some other colors. :D

Making an additional "tower" for the stands (though useable with the other pads and stands):  a pole -type tower inspired by the the Athena II pad at SLC-46, and intended as a companion to the various Peacekeeper-based civilian launchers that @CobaltWolfis making for Bluedog Design Bureau, but it's multi-height switchable and in the start tech node so it can be used with other rovckets.  Uses the same drop-umbilicals as the truss tower.

aMl4IQi.png

Both this and the small truss tower now have "Tier 1" at the start of their name, to indicate they are height-limited to be under 20m so they can be used with the Tier 1 launch pad.  Likewise there will be a Tier 2 tower limited to under 36m; the main variant will be a Gemini-Titan II tower.

Also going to make a Mercury crew elevator, basically a sort-of blend between the ones used for the Redstone and Atlas.  It will be an animated roll-back type instead of using a crew arm. :)

Working on a rollback crew elevator tower for Mercury spacecraft (or the Mk1 pod or similar pods) with either Redstone or Atlas-height rockets. Still way early WIP, but the base and animation are mostly done:

It too will be limited to under 20m height so as to be useable with the Tier 1 launch pad.

4 hours ago, lextacy said:

I see your working on a lot of vintage pads. Thank you for making these :D Gotta give some love to the 57-80s era :P

Thank you!

Yep, the first pads I made were big free-standing one for the Soyuz and Saturn V, intended for sandbox and the tier 3 launch pad.  I wasn't even thinking about early career mode or smaller rockets at the time (though the actual Soyuz pad is just an expanded version of the original one for the R-7/Sputnik).  Well, I am now, starting with a whole set for the Tier 1 pad. :) 

59 minutes ago, redmonddkgamer said:

https://imgur.com/a/wPbeXsP

These attach nodes aren't here on mine for some reason.

The Saturn mobile launcher base requires an insert that goes into the large rectangular opening; it has all the extra accessory nodes.  With the current release version, there's a square and rectangular version. The v2 dev version only has one multi-configurable insert.