[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

The new v2 Saturn/Shuttle tower and pad accessory parts are going to get another redo, a smaller one this time, in order to improve the textures and consolidate as as much of the parts on two texture sheets:  a big 2k one used for the platform/base and a whole lot of other things, and a small 512k (plus another for the gray versions) for the various tower and other small stuff.  Going to change the UV maps and rebuild the tower sections so I can put shadow lines inside the I-beams, something I started doing with the American Stand towers, and makes them look better by providing fake ambient occlusion. :)

22 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Do the towers and poles really haver to be decouplers - technically-wise?

It's not an issue, but for the sake of MJ autostaging it would be cool when these parts are recognized as launch clamps.
I can live with pressing spacebar once though. :cool:

They use the Animated Decouplers plugin so they can be animated by staging in addition to manual animation.  Rather necessary for early career mode if you don't have action groups from the start, as well as providing an alternative to using action groups.

This was a requested feature rather early on :)

And I should do something about those small nodes in the rectangular stand, if that's what you meant.

33 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

The rectangle is rotated by 90° relative to the base. :sticktongue:

Ah, yes, that's due to how launch clamps are set up in Unity and ModuleLaunchClamp. Clean rotation isn't always possible, especially with non-round or square clamps.

There's three specific transforms  required, and they stay fixed in place, and don't rotate with the rest of the part.

Latest WIP, the Tier 2 crew elevator to go with the Tier 1 service tower...alos inspired by the Gemini-Titan II one:

Pw4ILlf.png

jruldNx.png

Still adding more height variants.

The height of the elevator car and access floor (inside the tower) can be adjusted using the deploy limit sliders.

The car itself also has an animated gate (with collider) that raises and lowers automatically.

One final thing (? ;) ) for the American Launch Stand pack:  a switchable swing arm option for the small tower umbilical:

In keeping with the early tech look, it's just an I-beam with the hose slung underneath...no fancy trusses here.  Arm color is selectable as well, in tandem with the long mount's, so the two will be the same.

Still:

Warning on PartSubtype Gray on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnCraneNew: Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

InvalidOperationException: Texture HammerheadCrane not found!
  at B9PartSwitch.TextureSwitchInfo+<CreateTextureReplacements>d__8.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddRange (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype.FindTextureReplacements () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype:FindTextureReplacements()
B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype:Setup(ModuleB9PartSwitch)
B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:InitializeSubtypes()
B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnLoadPrefab(ConfigNode)
B9PartSwitch.CustomPartModule:OnLoad(ConfigNode)
PartModule:Load(ConfigNode)
Part:AddModule(ConfigNode, Boolean)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
<CompileParts>c__Iterator1:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

[RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntennaPassive: Found TRANSMITTER block.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[MechJeb2] Starting the Dispatcher

ManeuverPlanner initialization: found 17 maneuvers

Warning on PartSubtype Gray on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnCraneNew(Clone): Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

at B9PartSwitch.TextureSwitchInfo+<CreateTextureReplacements>d__8.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddRange (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype.FindTextureReplacements () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnAwake()
PartModule:Awake()
UnityEngine.Object:Internal_CloneSingle(Object)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject)
PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)

Warning on PartSubtype Gray on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnCraneNew(Clone): Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnIconCreate()
PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)

[RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntennaPassive: OnDestroy

[RemoteTech] ModuleSPU: OnDestroy: no vessel!

PartLoader: Part 'AlphaDev/v2_Saturn/Saturn-Hammerhead-Crane-New/SaturnCraneNew' has no database record. Creating.

Warning on PartSubtype Gray on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnCraneNew(Clone) Drag Rendering Clone: Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnAwake()
PartModule:Awake()
UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
DragCubeSystem:SetupPartForRender(Part, GameObject)
<RenderDragCubesCoroutine>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto_Internal(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
<SetupDragCubeCoroutine>c__Iterator2:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto_Internal(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)

@Gordon Dry

Looks like I never uploaded the gray hammerhead crane texture, must have forgotten about it in the initial upload.  It's in the Github now.

Edit: Actually, I deleted the entire 3D_Assets_Dev folder from the Github a week ago, and reuploaded it...the folder I uploaded the files from must have been missing that one.

Edited by AlphaMensae

Latest WIP:  The original intended American Launch stand, reborn and remade as the Saturn Launch Stand, still based on the original LC-34/37 pads for the Saturn I and IB:

pV6NUfw.png

v9cgprV.png

In keeping with the launch stand theme, there is no deck, as in my terminology a "stand" is an open-frame type rocket holder with no deck, and towers go on the side; a pad has a full deck that is accessible by Kerbals and on which stuff like towers can be mounted.  So this one is open I-beams and central ring.

The integrated hold-down arms are styled after the ones used for the Saturn I/IB, they'll be able to be switched off and separate hold-downs used.  Core size configurations are 4.25m, 3.75m, 3.125m, 2.5m and 1.875m.

Love the mod, I'm having an issue placing the support tower on the round base, when I try to offset it down so that it isn't floating above the launchpad, it "Jumps" inwards towards the rocket and I can't seem to move it back out. I'm probably just doing something wrong but if you have any suggestions I'd be very appreciative. I can post pictures or a video if that helps.

4 hours ago, PhantomC3PO said:

Love the mod, I'm having an issue placing the support tower on the round base, when I try to offset it down so that it isn't floating above the launchpad, it "Jumps" inwards towards the rocket and I can't seem to move it back out. I'm probably just doing something wrong but if you have any suggestions I'd be very appreciative. I can post pictures or a video if that helps.

I know what you mean. Had this issue too yesterday.

8 hours ago, PhantomC3PO said:

Hold down left shift when dragging the offset arrows to get unlimited offset :)

Saturn Launch Stand and Small Saturn Tower are done:

Only the general crew access arm is done, I still have to make the general swng arm and drop umbilicals, so this is an imcomplete demo.

The stand has configurations for 4.25m, 3.75, 3.125m, 2.5m and 1.875m stack sizess, and has integrated hold-down arms in differerent configurations as well; these can be switched off and other hold-downs used instead.

The stand has an optional base block for the tower (like the real one had), with four different positions available (not like the real one ;-) ).  Towers can be used without the base block if desired.

The tower has switchable (nominal) heights from 10m to 50m in 5m increments, and can be used as an unmanned service tower, or as a crew elevator with two types of a crew access section (2.5m and 5m) and an elevator pad.

The tower base block has a ladder that Kerbals can use to access the crew elevator if the tower if mounted on the block.

The Apollo-Saturn IB used for the demo launch is from Bluedog Design Bureau.

Edited by AlphaMensae

2 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Is there any other ? :D

Great work 

Thanks, and yeah, it seemed redundant to say that, but I should give proper credit to BDB here as well :)

Also, the real LC-34/37 tower was rotated in relation to the stool so that a corner was facing it; such an arrangement would not be good for a general-purpose arm, so the tower base block is at the regular 90-degree orientation.

23 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

Thanks, and yeah, it seemed redundant to say that, but I should give proper credit to BDB here as well :)

Also, the real LC-34/37 tower was rotated in relation to the stool so that a corner was facing it; such an arrangement would not be good for a general-purpose arm, so the tower base block is at the regular 90-degree orientation.

cheers, any chance for your craft files for the new stuff ? ;)