[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

In preparation for adding a SpaceX-style variant to the General Crew Access Arm, I've reworked the existing arm to be a center-mounted type able to be retracted either right or left, and the side-type pod hatch interface can now be switched to either side of a command pod.

I made it a center-mount arm to make the Unity hierarchy simpler; keeping it side-mounted meant having separate right and left-retracting versions.

The SpaceX-style variant won't be an exact replica, for it will have to fit in the existing Unity structure of the open-truss style variant (which means variable length), and I might add extra trim detail to break up the long wall panels. It will also utilize the existing General Pad color options for the wall panels, so it won't have to be just light gray (what passes for a white color option). :)

One more detail to be added, a version of the arm mount bracket for the Saturn tower:

9dXSAk0.png

The Saturn tower crew access section already has a center-location opening in the railing,  so it was already set up for the new general arm. Just needed to add a new node for the arm, which I might make switchable with the nodes for the Saturn-Apollo crew arm.

The implication of the Saturn mount option is for it to be used on the shuttle FSS tower..... ;)

I might just make an slimmer version of the Saturn mount, to be used with an alternate option for the crew access section floor that has no front railing, so the arm could be moved off to the side of the tower.  The crew access section was already due for a minor re-redo anyway, so it's be easy to do then.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:16 PM, AlphaMensae said:
45 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

How do I install the Alpha build?

Ok, first go to the AlphaDev branch, either by this direct link or selecting it from the "Branch" drop-down menu

zPWh7Wo.png

Then click the green "Clone or download" button and select download.  This will downoad a copy of everything in this branch as a .zip file.

Put the AlphaDev folder from the .zip into GameData, as a separate folder; do not put into the ModularLaunchPads folder.  These dev builds are standalone, but they don't have the other things that are in the current release of Modular Launch Pads.

The folders with the launch clamp versions of the Saturn mobile launcher base and shuttle launch platform can be merged (or copied into) the AlphaDev folder.  Craft files and subsassemblies go into their respective folders in your KSP save folder.

The v2 Saturn parts can be searched with "saturn v2", and the shuttle pad parts can be searched by "shuttle launcher"; general pads found by "general".

The part descriptions are still a bit rough and unfinished, so there might be confusing bits in them.

Thankls, @Cheesecake !

I still quoted my earlier post about it. :)

2 hours ago, x170doom said:

just to point out. i cant seem to find any crew arm for the small Saturn tower. and any other arm causes it to wobble at the base until it is completely clipping everything

It uses the General Crew arm, as well as all the other General Pads parts. This will be made clear v2 is developed.

Another WIP Wings 3D dev image, showing the core section of the SpaceX-style crew arm; it will be called the "Enclosed" version in the switcher.

LjWxWxL.png

It's still in a raw form, but that's the shape.

The angled exterior panels and the lower and upper columns will use the 8 existing General Pads color options, with the Light Gray one being closest to white.

The middle columns in the "windows", the roof beams and the trim detail will be black or very dark gray. The floor will use the existing General Crew Arm'truss-type version's walkway (it's literally the same mesh object :) ).

The hatch interfaces, as I call them, will be the same ones for the truss version, with some modifications to blend them in with this version.

This is the smooth-shaded view:

t7dpS0w.png

1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

Sorry if this has been asked before: do I need the released version in addition to the dev version? I can't see any parts with just the dev version installed...

Yes, you do need the released version, especially B9PartSwitch and Animated Decouplers.

1 minute ago, infinite_monkey said:

I do have those installed, only MLP is missing

How is the dev version installed?  The whole thing can't be just put into GameData, just the AlphaDev folder from the Github download zip.

MLP is still needed for the all the Sozuz-Russian pads and the hold-down arms.

13 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

How is the dev version installed?  The whole thing can't be just put into GameData, just the AlphaDev folder from the Github download zip.

MLP is still needed for the all the Sozuz-Russian pads and the hold-down arms.

Ah, thanks, I'll try moving it. I'm mostly interested in the launch tower ATM. Will there be a black-and-white version?

14 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Ah, thanks, I'll try moving it. I'm mostly interested in the launch tower ATM. Will there be a black-and-white version?

You mean the Shuttle FSS?  One, I'm going to wait until SpaceX finishes what they're doing with it before making a new color variant; two,  it would require a redo of the UV map, something I'm going to anyway with the Saturn/Shuttle tower parts.

4 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Saturn Launch arms snap back to original position when they decouple. I have to manually retract them to launch

Use the latest version of MLP (1.3.8), I had to fix a misguided idea about layer tags in animation modules that didn't work...that is the result.

10 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Use the latest version of MLP (1.3.8), I had to fix a misguided idea about layer tags in animation modules that didn't work...that is the result.

I’m using the alpha 

Edited by davidy12