[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

Arm is feeling much better, so I was able to continue the Saturn V arm revamp.  Did arm 3 (S-II Aft) earlier, it had no umbilical (was just a service access p;atform), so nothing extra to animate.

Finished arm 2, the S-IV Forward one, this one has one of those plates with hoses that gets yanked back by a cable:

And the last Saturn V arm, the S-IC Intertank (LOX fill I'm pretty sure) is done.  Wasn't sure if the umbilical pipes actually retracted or not, so I improvised something with a bit of visual flair:

And here is the full BDB Saturn V with the revamped launcher base, tower and arms (crane to be redone later):

yaPLtSu.png

Edited by AlphaMensae

1 hour ago, x170doom said:

question. will this version support 1.3.1? i don't want to update and deal wit spyware from take two

Yes, version 2 will still support 1.3.1, as I still do all dev work in 1.3.1. :)  So I'm not going to use any features found only in the KSP 1.4.x versions of B9PartSwitch, and will still include the 1.3.1 versions of B9PS and Animated Decouplers.

Also made the one Saturn pad thing I didn't do for the first release of Modular Launch Pads: the damper arm

kL6lpH6.png

It stablized the Saturn V during the rollout from the VAB and during times of high winds; raised shortly before launch.

This one is completely optional, and attaches to a center node on the front of the crew access tower section.

1 hour ago, AlphaMensae said:

Yes, version 2 will still support 1.3.1, as I still do all dev work in 1.3.1. :)  So I'm not going to use any features found only in the KSP 1.4.x versions of B9PartSwitch, and will still include the 1.3.1 versions of B9PS and Animated Decouplers.

thanks. v2 looking great so far. keep up the good work!

Remade the Saturn Milkstool for version 2.0.  It was mostly about creating major sections in Wings3D as single objects rather than the current versions's huge number of objects assembled in Unity (it was easier that way, but now I know more about Wings3D), but there are some differences as well.

PJaMfXT.png

More pics here

Edited by AlphaMensae

Now have remade the hammerhead crane, which was simply recreating the Unity-assembled version in Wings3D, aside from a few bits I left alone as Unity-added things.

Then I made the lightning mast that was mounted on top of it, and confirmed why I didn't make it the first time--it was a real pain, being an angled triangular truss structure.  Slogged through it, and got it done:

fqVTML8.png

The mast is a separate part, so it's entirely optional; also, a new mast was installed for the AS-210 Saturn IB launch for ASTP, a larger white cylindrical one which was later put on LC-39B for the space shuttle, so this way allows the mast to be changed.

I'm now working on adding a working hoist to the crane.  Probably will have zero practical use other than a ride for Kerbals, but why not?. :D

Just posted to Spacedock another minor update to v1.3, this one is v1.3.4:

Updated B9 Part Switch to v2.3.2, as blowfish recompiled it for KSP 1.4.4.  I don't think this was necessary, as the previous B9PS should work fine in 1.4.4, but hey, why not....

Added a craft file for the DECQ Saturn V, with it on the full Saturn mobile launcher.  The craft file was saved under KSP 1.4.3, just change the version number in the file itself to use in other KSP versions.

• 2 weeks later...

In between work and other things, I finished up the new and remade/reworked Saturn launcher parts.

One, the hammerhead crane now has an optional partial hoist:

My plans for a fully-working one ran into some problems with the animations that prevented it from working properly.  It seems that moving the hoist trolly in or out after raising/lowering the hoist caused the hoist to instantly move up or down.  Also, I realized that having the hoist reach the ground would only work with a specific height of the tower.  So in the end I simplified and shortened it, and now it's mainly just for show.  It's also switched off by default.

I've also made the swing arm umbilicals retract before the arms do, by a stupidly simple way: In Unity, at the key frame where the umbilical first retracts, the arm only moves 0.5 degrees.  Works nicely:

The Saturn tail service masts have also been remade.

And so, with the Saturn stuff done, it is at last time to begin work on the shuttle pad.  First up is reconfiguring the deck of the Saturn launcher's base to the shuttle layout:

NBIfHMG.png

Still quite early, and lots of tweaking needs to be done. :)

Just found these:

Warning on PartSubtype Gray on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnMilkstoolNew: Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

InvalidOperationException: Texture PanelLarge not found!
  at B9PartSwitch.TextureSwitchInfo+<CreateTextureReplacements>d__8.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddRange (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype.FindTextureReplacements () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype:FindTextureReplacements()
B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype:Setup(ModuleB9PartSwitch)
B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:InitializeSubtypes()
B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnLoadPrefab(ConfigNode)
B9PartSwitch.CustomPartModule:OnLoad(ConfigNode)
PartModule:Load(ConfigNode)
Part:AddModule(ConfigNode, Boolean)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
<CompileParts>c__Iterator1:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Warning on PartSubtype Red on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnMilkstoolNew: Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

at B9PartSwitch.TextureSwitchInfo+<CreateTextureReplacements>d__8.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[B9PartSwitch.TextureReplacement].AddRange (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at B9PartSwitch.PartSubtype.FindTextureReplacements () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnLoadPrefab(ConfigNode)
B9PartSwitch.CustomPartModule:OnLoad(ConfigNode)
PartModule:Load(ConfigNode)
Part:AddModule(ConfigNode, Boolean)

Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

Warning on PartSubtype Gray on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnMilkstoolNew(Clone): Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnAwake()
PartModule:Awake()
UnityEngine.Object:Internal_CloneSingle(Object)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject)
PartLoader:CreatePartIcon(GameObject, Single&)

Warning on PartSubtype Red on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnMilkstoolNew(Clone): Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

UnityEngine.Object:Internal_CloneSingle(Object)
UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject)

Warning on PartSubtype Gray on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnMilkstoolNew(Clone): Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnIconCreate()

Warning on PartSubtype Red on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnMilkstoolNew(Clone): Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

B9PartSwitch.ModuleB9PartSwitch:OnIconCreate()

PartLoader: Part 'ModularLaunchPads/Saturn_Pad/Base_Parts/Saturn-Launcher-Milkstool/SaturnMilkstoolNew' has no database record. Creating.

Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

Warning on PartSubtype Gray on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnMilkstoolNew(Clone) Drag Rendering Clone: Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
DragCubeSystem:SetupPartForRender(Part, GameObject)
<RenderDragCubesCoroutine>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto_Internal(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
<SetupDragCubeCoroutine>c__Iterator2:MoveNext()

Warning on PartSubtype Red on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='textureSwitch') on part SaturnMilkstoolNew(Clone) Drag Rendering Clone: Exception while initializing a texture replacment:

UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
DragCubeSystem:SetupPartForRender(Part, GameObject)
<RenderDragCubesCoroutine>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
<SetupDragCubeCoroutine>c__Iterator2:MoveNext()

@Gordon Dry

Which exact version of Modular Launch Pads were you using?  In v1.3.3 a number of minor bugs and errors got fixed, one being the milkstool not being able to switch colors, and that was due to me forgetting to change the directory paths for the textures to the proper ones in prior versions (the paths were still from my dev build folder and not ModularLaunchPads).

This is it in KSP 1.4.3:

37 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

Which exact version of Modular Launch Pads were you using?

Hmm. No version file, and the changelog ends at 1.3.0 - which doesn't mean anything.

But after downloading the latest release and bitwise comparing it with what I already got, I can confirm I got the latest.

Perhaps this is because I'm still on KSP 1.4.3 for Kopernicus-reasons and so I still got B9 Part Switch v2.3.1 for KSP 1.4.3?

Edited by Gordon Dry

7 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Hmm. No version file, and the changelog ends at 1.3.0 - which doesn't mean anything.

But after downloading the latest release and bitwise comparing it with what I already got, I can confirm I got the latest.

Perhaps this is because I'm still on KSP 1.4.3 for Kopernicus-reasons and so I still got B9 Part Switch v2.3.1 for KSP 1.4.3?

Yeah, sorry about the changelog included with the .zip, I keep forgetting to add the minor updates to the actual upload, and end up reusing the original v1.3.0 changelog.  Spacedock though has all the changelogs.

The latest version of MLP (1.3.4) simply has v2.3.2 of B9 Part Switch, which blowfish recompiled for KSP 1.4.4.  It wasn't actually necessary, as 1.4.4 didn't break B9PS, but if it doesn't work in 1.4.3, just use the B9PS from v1.3.3 of MLP, or get an earlier B9PS version here.

=====================================================================================================

More work and tweaks to the shuttle mobile launch platform:  Sidewalls for the exhaust holes have been added (but not textured or even UV-mapped yet) and the positioning and size of the holes has been changed.  Had to move the shuttle inward towards the center of the platform, as having it in the IRL position (near the back) caused the SSME exhaust to hit the top of the stock pad rather than going through the grating and into the flame trench.  Those angled engines....coventional rockets are much simpler ;)

uQ1gTh3.png

Edited by AlphaMensae

Hey AlphaMensae

Wanted to post a thank you for these parts, they add that little bit of extra detail to real launches that is otherwise missing. Great Work!

I was wondering if you could make some MM configs for RaiderNick's US and Soviet engines. I've tried to do so myself with the R7 engines and failed miserably.

Thanks again! :)

4 hours ago, Sir LaYz said:

Hey AlphaMensae

Wanted to post a thank you for these parts, they add that little bit of extra detail to real launches that is otherwise missing. Great Work!

I was wondering if you could make some MM configs for RaiderNick's US and Soviet engines. I've tried to do so myself with the R7 engines and failed miserably.

Thanks again! :)

Thanks, and you're welcome!

Yep, I've been meaning to add patches for RN's stuff, just kept slipping as I focused on v2.0.  Also, I've never used his stuff, so could you please do me a favor?  I need to know the names of first stages/core stages/main stages (knowing RN, they're probably integrated stages and not separate tanks), as that is where I'd prefer to add the extra attach nodes, and it would save me time in going through everything looking for them.

More details added to the shuttle pad base (technically called the "mobile launch platform"), mostly the sound-suppression pipes and nozzles, but also added a slightly altered version of the Saturn pad's deck hatches...because I could. ;)

Ixuqe67.png

Next to do are the tail service masts and the SRB hold-downs.

11 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Thanks, and you're welcome!

Yep, I've been meaning to add patches for RN's stuff, just kept slipping as I focused on v2.0.  Also, I've never used his stuff, so could you please do me a favor?  I need to know the names of first stages/core stages/main stages (knowing RN, they're probably integrated stages and not separate tanks), as that is where I'd prefer to add the extra attach nodes, and it would save me time in going through everything looking for them.

Sure :) the shuttle pad looks awesome by the way.

RN Soviet Rockets first stage names: "rn_dnepr1_rd264", "n1_blocka" (this is a fuel tank as I assume with the N1 you'd attach it to the tank rather than to any of the engines), "proton_rd253, "r7_blok_a", "zenit_rd171".

RN US Rockets first stage names: "aerobee150_eng", "aerobee350_eng", "s3", "scout_stg1", "lr79", "lr87_11", "X405".

Apart from the N1 those are all the first stage engines rather than first stage tanks. I can get the tank names as well if needed.

1 hour ago, Sir LaYz said:

Sure :) the shuttle pad looks awesome by the way.

RN Soviet Rockets first stage names: "rn_dnepr1_rd264", "n1_blocka" (this is a fuel tank as I assume with the N1 you'd attach it to the tank rather than to any of the engines), "proton_rd253, "r7_blok_a", "zenit_rd171".

RN US Rockets first stage names: "aerobee150_eng", "aerobee350_eng", "s3", "scout_stg1", "lr79", "lr87_11", "X405".

Apart from the N1 those are all the first stage engines rather than first stage tanks. I can get the tank names as well if needed.

Thanks!  Yeah, I'd rather have the tank or stage names, since I'd rather not have the pads attach to an engine (even though it does work, I'd prefer not to mess with engines).

The SRB supports and hold-downs have been added to the shuttle pad base, they were partly based on the real ones, but with some animated "flair":

They are separate parts, and actually have to be placed in mirror symmetry for the offset gizmo to work properly on them.

1 minute ago, AlphaMensae said:

Thanks!  Yeah, I'd rather have the tank or stage names, since I'd rather not have the pads attach to an engine (even though it does work, I'd prefer not to mess with engines).

No worries here are all of the first stage tank names

RN Soviet Rockets first stage tanks: "dnepr1_fs", "n1_blocka", "protonk_stg1", "r7_blok_a", "zenit_stg1"

RN US Rockets first stage tanks: "aerobee100_mb", "aerobee150_mb", "aerobee150_mb2", "aerobee350_mb", "junoii_fs", "scout_stg1", "thor_fs", "titaniv_fs"

Personally I'm really only after the Russian, and in particular, the R7 parts working but put them all up in case anyone else has a demand for them.

Thanks

Ok, rather than waiting until v2 is done before releasing the new stuff, I'm going to do partial dev build "soft releases" as they are completed.

First up are the new Saturn pad parts, they can be downloaded from my Dropbox.

Just put the "AlphaDev" folder in the .zip into Gamedata.  These parts don't actually need the full ModularLaunchPads folder, as they are all new and self-contained, but they will co-exist with the older MLP ones.  MLP will still be needed for the patches and the Saturn pad hold-down arms, which were redone for v1.3 (bit still may be revisited) and aren't included in this dev build. Oh, B9PartSwitch and Animated Decouplers will still be needed if somehow you don't have them already. :) 

All the new parts have "v2" in their name/title, so a seach for "saturn v2" will bring them up.

A lot of B9PS mesh-switching has been implemented for these parts, particularly the swing arms and tower section parts, so right-click and see all the options available.