[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

@linuxgurugamer, Thanks for the 7m SpaceY engine node addition!  Sort of forgot about those parts, just figured they'd have bottom nodes on them. :)

I had thought about adjustable-length arms using an animation and the deploy limit slider, before going with switchable fixed lengths.  It's hard to accomodate all the different kinds of rockets that can be made, so I just decided to go with standard tank diameters.

But, I could make such a "stretchable" arm.  I even could do the "modular" arm type I had thought about, with a base section and an extension that could be moved in and out as necessary, before remembering that the stock animation module doesn't move nodes.  However, @Katten has made such a module plugin, so such a concept could be done, but it require KSP 1.4.x.  The other way is just make the length adjustable by an animation deploy limit slider (with the animation buttons disabled).

52 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

@linuxgurugamer, Thanks for the 7m SpaceY engine node addition!  Sort of forgot about those parts, just figured they'd have bottom nodes on them. :)

I had thought about adjustable-length arms using an animation and the deploy limit slider, before going with switchable fixed lengths.  It's hard to accomodate all the different kinds of rockets that can be made, so I just decided to go with standard tank diameters.

But, I could make such a "stretchable" arm.  I even could do the "modular" arm type I had thought about, with a base section and an extension that could be moved in and out as necessary, before remembering that the stock animation module doesn't move nodes.  However, @Katten has made such a module plugin, so such a concept could be done, but it require KSP 1.4.x.  The other way is just make the length adjustable by an animation deploy limit slider (with the animation buttons disabled).

What about a modular arm?  I think you would need a base, and end, and two different size extensions.  That way it would be available in 1.3.1, and no need for another dll

@AlphaMensae Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do, figured you'd appreciate it.  This monster is about 22 ktons:

QaVhPzs.png

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What about a modular arm?  I think you would need a base, and end, and two different size extensions.  That way it would be available in 1.3.1, and no need for another dll

@AlphaMensae Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do, figured you'd appreciate it.  This monster is about 22 ktons:

QaVhPzs.png

Yikes!  That's not exactly what I had intended these pads for, but okaaaaaaaayyyy.... :P

A modular arm like you described is what I had considered some time ago:  a base component and an extension that could be moved with the offset gizmo to the exact distance needed.  One problem:  the arms are retracted by an animation, and the ModuleAnimateGeneric does not move attach nodes...or anything attached to them.  I had somehow forgotten that little fact. :D

Only Infernal Robotics could do that, and it was obviously far more than needed...until Katten released Animated Attachment, which makes anything animated move nodes, both stack and surface-attach.  It's only for KSP 1.4.x though, and I do not want to give up 1.3.1 support (especially since I still use it :) ).

The alternative is the deploy-limit technique, where the extension would be moved by the slider, not the gizmo.  It's not elegant, but I have used it before.

Oh yeah, something else: the large version of the Saturn base is not really supported currently, as it was more of a test case of how big it needed to be to handle a real-scale Saturn V.  It ended up being a bit bigger than really needed in order for the legs to clear the stock pad static and not sit on the various bridges and such on the ground.  I never got around to upsizing the rest of the parts to match--but there is Tweakscale. :D

Even then, it's still intended for conventional-type rockets (like the aforementioned Saturn V), not those ultra Kerbal Specials. ;)

Work has begun on the Fixed Service Structure for the shuttle pad!

First step was to position it properly, using a mock-up of the base part.  Now, the actual FSS is starting to take shape:

txPiP2b.png

zuqJkeL.png

That walkway is for access to the elevator from the stock pad static.

There will be no colliders on the lowest section's support beams, so the FSS could be moved around if needed.

The FSS is growing :)

8YPh7Bg.png

It's up to the crew access level now, and some fine-tuning will be needed to make it match the orbiter's hatch height.

I think now I'll make this one-piece FSS tower designed for the Cormorant Aeronology shuttle, and also provide a modular adjustable-height one to make it taller or shorter.

On 8/5/2018 at 7:59 PM, AlphaMensae said:

The FSS is growing :)

8YPh7Bg.png

It's up to the crew access level now, and some fine-tuning will be needed to make it match the orbiter's hatch height.

I think now I'll make this one-piece FSS tower designed for the Cormorant Aeronology shuttle, and also provide a modular adjustable-height one to make it taller or shorter.

I wish you luck with this one; the FSS looks so much more complicated than the fairly straightforward Apollo/Saturn launch tower.

Image result for space shuttle on pad

17 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I wish you luck with this one; the FSS looks so much more complicated than the fairly straightforward Apollo/Saturn launch tower.

Image result for space shuttle on pad

I know, and the RSS is going to be a minor nightmare :D

I will simplify things where appropriate, and concentrate on the service arms and crew arm.   The nice thing about having SpaceX strip away the RSS is that it's quite clear the core of the FSS is indeed just a section of the Saturn tower with a bunch of stuff added on.

That big multi-level arm structure in the middle is just the mount for the intertank service access arm and hydrogen vent line.

Crew arm, "beanie cap" arm (gaseous oxygen vent arm) and the intertank arm still look enough like the Saturn arms that I can use them as the core for the shuttle versions.

And I already have the lightning mast, it's just the one first installed on the tower used for the ASTP Saturn IB-Apollo launch. :)

Crew access arm has been "installed" on the WIP FSS:

RFk6nJ4.png

Yep, I just modified the new Saturn V crew arm for use with the shuttle.  With the RSS and other shuttle-specific arms still to come, any way to reduce the work required is a positive. :)

Oh, yeah, forgot, the arm retracts as well:

Edited by AlphaMensae

Had to renake the FSS tower into seprate modular parts, much like the Saturn tower, as it caused a ~2 second lag when the spacebar was pressed for liftoff.  Too many colliders in a single part, as confirmed when I removed the tower and there was no lag at liftoff.

New modular tower works great:

(And I forgot the lightning mast...derp!)

Ok, after only now realizing that my shuttle pad's orientation, while true to the real one, results in the shuttle stack having to do a 180-degree roll in order to head due east.  That is not good. ;)  So I made a new default configuration that has the launch platform rotated 90 degrees, so the FSS sits on the stock pad (right in the crawlerway); now only a 90-degree roll is needed:

25SUjOo.png

The original configuration is still available, via switcher options in the launch platform (FSS attach node height) and the FSS base (height variant).

Note that the original configuration can be rotated 180 degrees to eliminate the roll maneuver entirely. ;)

7 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Have you considered adopting this launchpad? It works quite well with the Proton from Tantares.

Very nice, but I don't adopt things from other mods, plus it's too hyper-detailed compared with mine, which aren't meant to be 100% faithful detailed replicas. 

Now, I could make something like the Proton pad, generalized with switchable options to make it work with a wider range of rockets, to be a companion to the R-7 type Russian launch stand in MLP.

20 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Have you considered adopting this launchpad? It works quite well with the Proton from Tantares.

12 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Very nice, but I don't adopt things from other mods, plus it's too hyper-detailed compared with mine, which aren't meant to be 100% faithful detailed replicas. 

Now, I could make something like the Proton pad, generalized with switchable options to make it work with a wider range of rockets, to be a companion to the R-7 type Russian launch stand in MLP.

If I could state my own humble opinion...

My suggestion would be to finish the shuttle tower first, then work on a launch tower for use with smaller rockets, namely something like the Titan II service tower and erector, or the gantries used in Atlas and Redstone launches.

800px-Launch_of_Friendship_7_-_GPN-2000-000686.jpg

File:Titan II.jpg

@pTrevTrevs

Oh, indeed, that Proton-type pad would be for much later. :)

I also just decided that after the shuttle pad, next will be the much-delayed American Launch Stand (counterpart to the Russian one, i.e. a launch clamp pad).  I had started on it a while ago, but it soon morphed into a rather complex launch pad instead. :D  That will now become the Small Saturn Pad (it was inspired by the LC-34/37 pads for the Saturn I/IB), and I'll go back to the original idea of a simple Redstone/Jupiter/Scout-type ring stand.  It will have some switchable options of course.

The manned Atlas and Gemini pads will be part of the Small General Launch Pad options, basically the crew elevators and towers being add-ons for it.

15 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Shuttle beanie cap is done!

Next is the intertank access arm structure and gaseous hydrogen vent arm.

Ooooh! Looking good! Can't wait to start flying shuttle missions with a working shuttle launchpad. Any plans to make the hydrogen burn-off igniters for the tail service masts?

10 hours ago, RandyRawgust said:

I'm dying for the shuttle pad! :P Are you building a RSS too?

Yep, the RSS will next after all the FSS arms are done.

And you won't have to wait for the fully complete shuttle pad, I'll have a new dev build of it (along with the new Saturn pad parts) on my Dropbox soon.  And it will include this newly-added part:  the hydrogen vent arm.

The intertank access arm is next, basically it's a big swing arm that simply allows pad workers to connect the vent arm to the outlet on the ET's intertank. :)

Ok, a dev build of the new Saturn and Shuttle pad parts is available on my DropBox.

This is not an official release, it's an alpha build (heh :) ) of the current v2.0 parts.  There's going to be rough edges, but they work.

It requires B9PartSwitch and Animated Decouplers from the existing version of Modular Launch Pads, but don't put the AlphaDev folder in the existing ModularLaunchPads folder, as this is a standalone build; the parts will co-exist with the current MLP parts.

Included is a craft file for the Cormorant Aeronology shuttle on the pad with all parts.