[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

12 hours ago, Jasseji said:

cheers, any chance for your craft files for the new stuff ? ;) 

There's craft files and/or subassemblies for the Saturn launcher and shuttle pad, but none yet for the other new things.  I'll make some up and put them on the github soon.

And next on the to-do list: the Small General Pad:

Yes, I know there is no strongback for the Tundra Exploration Falcon Heavy Launch....that's coming next. :)

Still needs .cfg work to be done.

I'm probably going to change the range of core sizes the small and large general pads can handle.  Right now both can be configured for 1.875m and 2.5m, but a 1.875m rocket is pretty small when on the large pad--probably too small.  A 2.5m core is a border case, as the large pad was designed for, well, large rockets, and even a 2.5m size core is on the small end of the size range. So I think I'll make 3.125m the overlap size, with it being the max size for the small pad and the minimm size for the large pad.

And just to add to the fun, a while back I made a custom small pad with a minu F9-style strongback as a custom mod for someone else.  I think I'll remake that pad minus the strongback) as the Mini Launch Pad, acting as a bridge between the small launch stands and the small general pad.

1 hour ago, xD-FireStriker said:

whats the best way to line up the pad to the stock pad?

Which one?  If it's the Saturn launcher base, put the front legs (front being the pair closest to you when looking towards the VAB door) in the white ring on the floor, with the front corners just inside the outer edge.

Just now, AlphaMensae said:

Which one?  If it's the Saturn launcher base, put the front legs (front being the pair closest to you when looking towards the VAB door) in the white ring on the floor, with the front corners just inside the outer edge.

Is there a guide i missed on how to line them all up? the one i have been using and couldnt get quite lined up is the shuttle pad 

1 hour ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Is there a guide i missed on how to line them all up? the one i have been using and couldnt get quite lined up is the shuttle pad 

I am at my laptop now, so can post screenshots.

For the shuttle platform in the default FSS configuration, just center the legs over the white ring:

4r4TXx3.png

The right-side legs can me brought in (i.e. moved to the left in the pic) little bit, but don't move the platform the other way or else those legs will be overhanging the edge of the stock pad static, or even off of it completely.

For the platform in the alt FSS configuration, position the platform so the left-side (or front) legs are mostly to the left of the white ring, like this:

ER1P2Up.png

This is to make sure that the FSS base isn't clipping too far into the stock pad static.  Some clipping is normal, as there are only a very few colliders on the lower part of the FSS base section, but clip too much and other colliders will intersect with the static.

yDIaSZh.png

A WIP dev image of the F9-style strongback tower:

z3N5RxA.png

Still missing stuff, like the all the mount stuff and hinge objects, but the default height (sized for the Tundra Exploration Falcon 9) is set.

It will have some integrated drop-type umbilicals that will be able to be adjusted by deploy-limit sliders.  However, they be can be switched off and attach nodes turned on for external umbilicals, but those would require Animated Attachment to move with the strongback when it is retracted.

7 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

A WIP dev image of the F9-style strongback tower:

z3N5RxA.png

Still missing stuff, like the all the mount stuff and hinge objects, but the default height (sized for the Tundra Exploration Falcon 9) is set.

It will have some integrated drop-type umbilicals that will be able to be adjusted by deploy-limit sliders.  However, they be can be switched off and attach nodes turned on for external umbilicals, but those would require Animated Attachment to move with the strongback when it is retracted.

What size will this be ? would it work with Tundra SpaceX launchers ?

24 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

What size will this be ? would it work with Tundra SpaceX launchers ?

@AlphaMensae

There is already a working Launchtower-Pack for SpaceX:

Perhaps this can help you.

Edited by Cheesecake

15 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

@AlphaMensae

There is already a working Launchtower-Pack for SpaceX:

Perhaps this can help you.

Yes, but having one Mod with all Launch towers maintained by one person is definitely better, also @AlphaMensae's work is looking better so far ;) (already the screenshot from Wings3D looks better than the finalized version by sciencepanda).

Sciencepanda's Towers are scaled for KK's SpaceX pack, granted, anyone can add Tweakscale via an MM Patch (which i did, i rescaled both KK's Launchers and Sciencepanda's Towers to fit better with Stock), but if it's in one place, better ;)

btw. @AlphaMensae if you ever have to make a SaveGame breaking update, would you consider changing the Part names:

"name = SaturnLightningMast"

to something like "name = AM_SaturnLightningMast" - this would make it easier to write MM Patches (like adding tweakscale to all parts)

Edited by Jasseji

3 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Yes, but having one Mod with all Launch towers maintained by one person is definitely better, also @AlphaMensae's work is looking better so far ;) (already the screenshot from Wings3D looks better than the finalized version by sciencepanda).

Sciencepanda's Towers are scaled for KK's SpaceX pack, granted, anyone can add Tweakscale via an MM Patch (which i did, i rescaled both KK's Launchers and Sciencepanda's Towers to fit better with Stock), but if it's in one place, better ;)

btw. @AlphaMensae if you ever have to make a SaveGame breaking update, would you consider changing the Part names:

"name = SaturnLightningMast"

to something like "name = AM_SaturnLightningMast" - this would make it easier to write MM Patches (like adding tweakscale to all parts)

First, I know about the SpaceX pad and tower pack, but a Falcon 9-type strong back has been a commonly requested part for MLP, so I'm making one. :)

It's not going to be full recreation though, I simplified it for easier modeling and to make it variable height.

@Jasseji, that's a good idea. Most of the v2 parts have new names anyway, so I can change them in the final build.

Edited by AlphaMensae

So I have been falling in love with v2, like a lot! Small request (I hope), can the small rectangular stand be lengthened? Ideally it would mirror the general pads with the square<rectangle<long rectangle format. I specifically ask so that I can use it for early(ish) common core booster type craft in the 0.9375 to 1.5 diameter range.

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

3 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

So I have been falling in love with v2, like a lot! Small request (I hope), can the small rectangular stand be lengthened? Ideally it would mirror the general pads with the square<rectangle<long rectangle format. I specifically ask so that I can use it for early(ish) common core booster type craft in the 0.9375 to 1.5 diameter range.

The rectangular stand was made primarily for the Atlas rocket, or ones with a couple of small SRBs (like the early Deltas/augmented Thors or whatever), so it's limited in sizes it can handle.  As such, it won't be enlarged. Sorry :) 

However, I have thought about adding a mini general pad as a bridge between the launch stands and the small general pad.  I have something like that already, previously made for a custom mod someone requested.  It wouldn't take too much to make it multi-configurable, and be able to handle full triple-core rockets, from 1.875m down to 0.9375m (or maybe 0.625m).

3 hours ago, x170doom said:

any update on the RN rocket patches, so far have been trying (and failing) to make my own with no prior experience and could really do with some that work and don't just make the part dissapear or just simply don't work

I'm sorry, I haven't done anything for the RN patches yet, as I have been focused on making all the v2 stuff.  That's more of closing detail to add in before official release, but I'll see I I can make a few up sometime soon.

3 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

I'm sorry, I haven't done anything for the RN patches yet, as I have been focused on making all the v2 stuff.  That's more of closing detail to add in before official release, but I'll see I I can make a few up sometime soon.

thanks, trying to make my own gave me a headache