[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

28 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Sorry for going off topic but how did you add those closed captions? Otherwise it was a great tutorial

With Shotcut, the video editing program I use.  Like Wings3D and GIMP, it's also free. :) And rather simple to learn and use.

4 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Alright, so I read through several pages discussing versions for KSP 1.6.1, but I wanna make sure I don't goof and get the wrong thing. What versions do I need for KSP 1.6.1 in RSS?

Many thanks! Mod looks awesome!

Thank you!

The only thing that may need changing for KSP 1.6.1 is B9PartSwitch. The KSP 1.7.x versions may work fine in 1.6.1, but I have not tested it. Otherwise just get the last KSP 1.6.1 version of B9PartSwitch, which is v2.6.0: https://github.com/blowfishpro/B9PartSwitch/releases/tag/v2.6.0. I don't use any of the features in the newer versions of B9PartSwitch (well, not yet anyway), so for now you can still use even KSP 1.3.1. :) 

The versions of Animated Decouplers and Community Category Kit included (the default ones, not the KSP 1.3.1 ones) work in KSP 1.5.1 and up.

Version 2.0.1 is out.

Changelog:

• Added separate patch for Bluedog Design Bureau Soilids.
  • Revised reDIRECT patch to add a node to the STS ET for SOCK.
  • Updated patches forTantaresLV, Raidernick and Tundra Exploration.
  • Added craft files for SOCK shuttle and TantaresLV 1.875m TLV.
  • Added missing CCK tag to Small Service Tower Umbilical.

First off, what a fantastic mod!!  I first used it for the BDB Saturn V and just started using if for the CA Shuttle.  But... I have a problem.  For some reason unknown to me the launcher base sets way too high on 39A.  I watched your video and moved the base of the FSS below the floor of the VAB but no matter what I've done so far it just keeps showing up too high.  You could fit a bit over two additional launch bases in the gap between the top of the pad and below the bottom of the launcher base.  I imagine it's something stupid I've done but I sure don't know what.  Thanks for any help here. 

23 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Thank you!

The only thing that may need changing for KSP 1.6.1 is B9PartSwitch. The KSP 1.7.x versions may work fine in 1.6.1, but I have not tested it. Otherwise just get the last KSP 1.6.1 version of B9PartSwitch, which is v2.6.0: https://github.com/blowfishpro/B9PartSwitch/releases/tag/v2.6.0. I don't use any of the features in the newer versions of B9PartSwitch (well, not yet anyway), so for now you can still use even KSP 1.3.1. :) 

The versions of Animated Decouplers and Community Category Kit included (the default ones, not the KSP 1.3.1 ones) work in KSP 1.5.1 and up.

Will the latest MLP v 2.0.1 (meant for KSP 1.7.3) work in KSP 1.6.1?? The dependencies mentioned are the correct ones that I have. 

4 hours ago, rnyboy said:

First off, what a fantastic mod!!  I first used it for the BDB Saturn V and just started using if for the CA Shuttle.  But... I have a problem.  For some reason unknown to me the launcher base sets way too high on 39A.  I watched your video and moved the base of the FSS below the floor of the VAB but no matter what I've done so far it just keeps showing up too high.  You could fit a bit over two additional launch bases in the gap between the top of the pad and below the bottom of the launcher base.  I imagine it's something stupid I've done but I sure don't know what.  Thanks for any help here. 

EDIT: This appears to be KSP 1.7.x issue with the new clamp shuttle launcher base.  It's fine in 1.5.1 and 1.61.

The difference between the Saturn and Shuttle bases is that the ground access elevator on the Saturn base is built into the base, while the FSS base is a separate from the launcher base. For some reason in KSP 1.7.x, this won't let the Shuttle base go down to the proper height.

6 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Will the latest MLP v 2.0.1 (meant for KSP 1.7.3) work in KSP 1.6.1?? The dependencies mentioned are the correct ones that I have. 

Yes, it will, it's the same as the original release, just with some .cfg file changes/addtions and some new craft files.

Edited by AlphaMensae

2 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

Are you using the LC-39A pad from Tundra's Space Center/KSC Extended? While there shouldn't be any difference with how it functions with launch clamps from the stock pad static, it's possible something with KK and/or that specific static doesn't work the same way.  Because what you say is not how the launcher base (default clamp version) is like with the stock pad, where it sits at the correct height.

Yes, it will, it's the same as the original release, just with some .cfg file changes/addtions and some new craft files.

Mate, many thanks! And what a fast response too! :)

5 hours ago, rnyboy said:

Ok, the quickest solution would be to use the free-standing version of the shuttle base, the two files for it are in the Extras folder of the download.

Copy them over to ModularLaunchPads/Saturn_Shuttle.

I'm going to revise the clamp version by integrating the FSS base into it, that should solve the problem, and put it out as v2.0.2.

Aha! I found the cause of the floating shuttle launcher base in KSP 1.7.x: It was the alternate height variant of the FSS Base that was pushing the whole platform up into the air, as that variant was for the alternate orientation of the platform, rotated 90 degrees so when on the stock pad static, it would match that of the IRL one...except that the shuttle would be pointed to the east, and the FSS would be sitting on the ground, not the pad.  It could be something to do with B9PartSwitch or KSP, I don't know.

Removing that variant put the base back on the pad static.  v2.0.2 will be up soon!

Edited by AlphaMensae

@AlphaMensae could you change the S-IC node so that it doesn't require an offset gizmo to place the Saturn V pad? With the new engines (available in dev version of BDB) the pad can't be offset properly. In fact, it's not a good practice to have offset gizmo as a part of normal assembly precisely for this reason. 

3 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

@AlphaMensae could you change the S-IC node so that it doesn't require an offset gizmo to place the Saturn V pad? With the new engines (available in dev version of BDB) the pad can't be offset properly. In fact, it's not a good practice to have offset gizmo as a part of normal assembly precisely for this reason. 

If I did that, then the node would be up inside the engine mount and not visible, in which case you might as well use the center F-1's bottom node,

I provide node-aadding patches as a convenience, to make it much easier to attach a launch base to a rocket (or vice versa); in only a few cases is the extra node a necessity, as most engines have bottom nodes. So they are going to be of a generic nature and very visible, and the exact positioning left to the use. The offset gizmo is a stock tool, and it needs to be used with my launch bases.

The problem with the stock gizmo is that, like many stock tools, it just doesn't work all that well. In particular, it has a confusing and often annoying snapping behavior, which is a problem especially when combined with node attachment. If a node is positioned away from colliders, the gizmo will try to "fix" this, and do everything it can to prevent the object from floating the air, obviously causing problems when a part needs to do just that. So you really shouldn't be relying on it, at least when possible (like in case of BDB's Saturns).

F-1 bottom node is not a good idea, because it's too small for that purpose. Attaching anything heavy by engine invites wobble and stability problems. And besides, it's not perfectly positioned for this, requiring use of the offset gizmo, which promptly tries snap the base to the F-1, and we're back to the square one. This tool is only really suitable for manipulating radially attached parts in a very limited way. Node attachment, large movements, and especially large movements of node attached parts (as currently required here) is only asking for trouble with that tool. 

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

The problem with the stock gizmo is that, like many stock tools, it just doesn't work all that well. In particular, it has a confusing and often annoying snapping behavior, which is a problem especially when combined with node attachment. If a node is positioned away from colliders, the gizmo will try to "fix" this, and do everything it can to prevent the object from floating the air, obviously causing problems when a part needs to do just that. So you really shouldn't be relying on it, at least when possible (like in case of BDB's Saturns).

F-1 bottom node is not a good idea, because it's too small for that purpose. Attaching anything heavy by engine invites wobble and stability problems. And besides, it's not perfectly positioned for this, requiring use of the offset gizmo, which promptly tries snap the base to the F-1, and we're back to the square one. This tool is only really suitable for manipulating radially attached parts in a very limited way. Node attachment, large movements, and especially large movements of node attached parts (as currently required here) is only asking for trouble with that tool. 

Hold down left-shift when using the offset gizmo to get 20m of free offset range; unless you've been copying over the same settings file from KSP v1.0.5 or before (it was added some time after that), you'll have this. I've been saying this repeatedly, and it's also in the new OP here, right near the top. :) 

and first static fire was today!

FAQ: flame bucket smoke is an SRB clipped into it horizontally. Physics enabled on SmokeScreen smoke doesn't produce as well-defined a stream of "steam" coming out the bucket mouth. It's pretty well-lit for night time but there's also nearly a full Mun out. The engine is from KW Rocketry which doesn't have emissive textures, the "heat glow" of the bell was added in post

Edited by Drew Kerman

I'm not sure if it has been noted here, but this should almost be a requirement for this mod: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/163882-151-161-172-nasa-countdown-clock-updated/

Also, I'm a little confused as to how to make the non-integrated launch clamps work. I can place them and can manually release them, but they don't seem to want to release on launch. Am I simply doing something wrong or are they not automatic?

On 8/11/2019 at 6:43 PM, captainradish said:

I'm not sure if it has been noted here, but this should almost be a requirement for this mod: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/163882-151-161-172-nasa-countdown-clock-updated/

Also, I'm a little confused as to how to make the non-integrated launch clamps work. I can place them and can manually release them, but they don't seem to want to release on launch. Am I simply doing something wrong or are they not automatic?

None of the bases should be a root part, as they won't work right if they are, so if you start with one of the bases first, you'll have to reroot to something else (usually the pod or probe core).

I'm currently in the process of making the new v2 trailer/demo/short.  Right now I'm recording launches if various rockets and base combinations, and so far have two manned launches with actual launch audio done: a Mercury-Atlas (Friendship 7, John Glenn) and Gemini-Titan (Gemini 10, John Young and Michael Collins). They're still in the raw form, no editing or music, but they'll be part of the trailer.

I did do one with the Tantares Soyuz, but didn't use audio, as the Russians don't do countdowns, it's a rather low-key affair. :D

18 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

None of the bases should be a root part, as they won't work right if they are, so if you start with one of the bases first, you'll have to reroot to something else (usually the pod or probe core).

Can you make a tutorial on how to stage these? The only parts that I can get to stage with the launch are the "integrated" parts such as the small launch base's clamps. Any towers require manually staging them. I can assign them to "stage" in the actions group, but they fail to do anything. I've been assigning things like the gantry's elevators and drop pipes to 1 so I can get them to release before launch. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to stage "non-integrated" clamps.

I figured out a little while back you cannot have the base as the root, so it's always the last thing that gets added to my launch vehicles.