[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

how do you make the Tower for the gemini? I can't lineup the crew arm with the capsule, Am i missing some parts?

The crew access tower section has an adjustable floor, it can be moved up and down with the deploy limit slider.

Adjust the crew access arm to where it's needed, then move the floor of the crew access tower section to match the arm's height.

Progress on the Large General Pad:  Got enough done (after several wrong turns and dead ends) with the 3.125m exhaust hole "insert" (actually an integrated shape) to do a test launch!

Yeah, tweakscaled 3.125m BDB Titan II parts with the Rodan pod from Tundra Exploration. :)  Gotta remember to DL the LDC Titan for BDB...

No tower or anything else, and used the existing bottom-mount bolt hold-down, as nothing else is made yet, LOL.

I adore this add-on, but even with KJR, there's a 99% chance that when physics kicks in, the resulting earthquake destroys everything.  I've even attempted clamping the base to the ground.  
Nada.

There's another mod that supposedly fixes physics wobble (earthquake) but not for me.

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

I adore this add-on, but even with KJR, there's a 99% chance that when physics kicks in, the resulting earthquake destroys everything.  I've even attempted clamping the base to the ground.  
Nada.

There's another mod that supposedly fixes physics wobble (earthquake) but not for me.

If you mean World Stabilizer, it does not like the free-standing pads...causes the earthquake every time.

Otherwise, I was able to launch the existing Saturn mobile launcher (with a larg-ish test rocket) and the full v2 CA shuttle pad without problem in 1.5.1.

However, I can make a launch clamp alternative version of the Saturn launcher base to see if that eliminates the earthquake issue.

I'm using a 2.5x SSRSS universe in 1.3.1, unfortunately.  1.5.1 isn't all (SS)RSS prettified yet.  Or if it is, I have no idea what mods to use anymore.  =(
I suppose I should add that I'm using the shuttle launch facility with CA's Shuttle.  

Edited by slaintemaith

3 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

I'm using a 2.5x SSRSS universe in 1.3.1, unfortunately.  1.5.1 isn't all (SS)RSS prettified yet.  Or if it is, I have no idea what mods to use anymore.  =(
I suppose I should add that I'm using the shuttle launch facility with CA's Shuttle.  

I actually do dev work in 1.3.1, I just test thing in 1.4.x/1.5.x to be sure they work.  I rarely have the earthquakes on vessel launch.

I always move the base's legs below the VAB floor before launch, and make sure the rear legs will sit on the stock pad static.  If the base is off-center too much, with the rear legs hanging ovet the edge, it can become unstable and destroy the static.

@slaintemaith and everyone else.

I have made a launch clamp version of the Saturn Mobile Launcher Base, available on the Github.  It works like a node-attached launch clamp, and is not free-standing.  This should eliminate the "earthquake" issue where the stock pad static blows up on vessel spawn.

Stick the .cfg file into the AlphaDev/v2_Saturn folder, and the contents of 3D_Assets_Dev into the existing AlphaDev one, overwriting any files.

Important:  DO NOT leave as the root part if placing first; launch clamps don't work if they are the root part.

It's designed to sit as high as the free-standing one if you want to use the pad access elevator.  Put the elevator floor on the floor of the VAB.

There's no shuttle version yet....

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

I'll be waiting for the shuttle version.  =)

I just uploaded the shuttle version to the Github. :)

There is one big issue with it though:  Attaching the FSS base prevents the platform base from sitting low to the ground like it's supposed to, no matter how much you offset it.  Without it, the platform base sits fine.

I'm going to have to make the FSS base a launch clamp too, and even might have to integrate it into the platform if keeping it separate still prevents the platform from sitting low.

5 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

I meant to ask: the Shuttle's FSS Arm Hydrogen Vent: is that meant to be staged at launch?  It seems like it falls away awfully quickly for something that's supposed to have an action group.

Yes, it is retracted at launch, and falls away pretty fast (as it has to). :)

21 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

So, should that have a 'staging' option, then?

Yes, staging is the normal way to release it.

There's a manual animation as well so the arm can be "raised" by the Kerbal pad crew on the intertank access arm (yes, that's how it was connected IRL). :)

Dev progress update on the Large General Pad:  All the standard core size "inserts" are done:

Next to do will be the extended sizes, which will be separate, starting at 10m, and only include a single square shape with all additional hold-down arm supprorts present.  An extended deck switcher will also be availabel, to make the deck bigger in area, in case the standard deck is too cramped. ;)

In a design change, ALL the attach nodes for hold-down arms or other accessories are turned on, in 2 (might become 3) independent sets.  What can be changed with a switcher is the stack symmetry, with a choice of 2x, 3x, 4x, 6x or 8x symmetries.  This allows for much more configuration options.

Finished the base part of the Large General Pad at last!  Well, for now... ;)

Yes, the nominal 15m extended size can accomodate 1+4x 5m cluster stacks like this......thing--the "BFR Thicc"--with room to spare, especially if rotated 45 degrees Saturn V-style. :D (Yes, it's the older Tundra Exploration BFR; it's what I had in my 1.3.1 dev install).

The base has been revised yet again (several times since last lol), now the standard core sizes have just the three shapes, with optional extra hold-down supports (or extensions) in two variants available separately.

The three separate extended sizes (10m, 12.5m, 15m) now also have optional extra supports, a combo 45 and 60-degree one.

There is also an extended deck size option, to give more room for towers and such with the extended hole sizes...or even the standard ones.

Now I can start work on the various towers, crew elevators and hold-downs. :) 

The Large General Pad base is now on the Github's AlphaDev branch.

Download the AlphaDev folder again to get it.

It can use the existing Saturn tower and hold-down arms, both current and v2, plus the Soyuz pad arms and hinges.

Note: It is designed to sit low like in the video demos, but won't look too bad (if not just plain weird) if it's raised up more.

Edited by AlphaMensae

On 11/6/2018 at 10:23 AM, AlphaMensae said:

Yes, the shuttle pad is part of the version 2 development build on the Github, in the AlphaDev branch.

forgive me as the answer is most likely staring me in the head but i havent downloaded much from github, how do i download the V2 Dev Branch and install it? So i will need to install it along side v1.3.8 to have everything this mod offers but what do i download.