[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

12 hours ago, Furiousgaming34 said:

Hi, just wanted to know if there is a build guide for the Soyuz launch pad. Thanks.

Not yet, but you can use the screenshots and demo clips on my youtube channel as a reference. Or use pics/video of the real Soyuz, my version of the launch pad goes together mostly like the real one does. :) 

11 hours ago, lionbeast321 said:

Where do i put the Ro config?

Don't use that for RO anymore, as RO now has support for Modular Launch Pads built-in. Of course, I think that is for the v2.0x release, v2.1 is a whole different story, unless RO simply adjusts all parts with "AM_MLP*" as a name at once, in which case v2.1 will be supported as well.

That old patch has been removed for v2.1 in any case.

I'm in the final stage of v2.1 dev work, yee hah!! :)  I just did a huge update on AlphaDev, revised most of the .cfg file and a few of the .mu files to have B9 UI groups and some other features, and did a clean-up pass. All launch stands and bases can now have the clamp staging disabled if desired, as I learned how to do it. Great for using milkstools or launch rails on a launch base or plate, as now the base/plate's staging icon can now be disabled to prevent confusion. :) 

The General Flat Vert Bolt Hold-Down now has a tall option for the bolt to provide extra reach for rockets with lots of side boosters, similar to the Thor/Delta launch stand. This was just an interim quick job until I remake all the General Bases parts.

I also did the first part of the Soyuz Base v2.1 update, cleaning up and reworking the large fuel arm. The small fuel arm and gantry will be the last part.

I also added a General Mounting Platform; it's an alternate form of the Mini Frame Flat Launch Base with a solid deck, side attach nodes, standard KSP deck attach nodes and toggleable railing. It also has 25m extensions below the foot pads so it will still connect with the ground when the platform is used on uneven terrain. This platform was a suggestion from the KIS/KAS users for colony/base structures. :)  Note that the platform is not in the MLP custom categories (stock and CCK), but a single part in the structural category; it also has a different name style than the rest of the MLP parts, so it is not affected by hide parts patch.

The last thing to do will be to add a yellow general umbilical color and alternate colors for the General Launch Stand clamp arms, something I passed over to get to other things. :D 

Edited by AlphaMensae

Would be great man if both the Shuttle and Saturn launcher platforms get the same horizontal leg position alignment like the Atlas pad, where you can align the platform legs as you choose. Right now, the Shuttle MLP legs are kinda misaligned and  funny when the External tank is aligned towards the VAB Door, which is the optimal usage when using Tundra LC-39 statics.

Just put the final part of the v2.1 Soyuz Base update on the AlphaDev branch.

The Small Fuel Arm had the height variants done differently. I replaced all the duplicate arm meshes of various lengths with the new separate modular section method.  The base arm core height is still the tapered style, but the longer variants now use a straight-sided extension so they would stack properly. The modular section method allowed the .mu file sizes for the small, large and gantry arms to be slashed in size, with reductions of over 60% or more.

The Gantry was greatly reworked . There are now more height variants, and only one elevator max height like the other crew elevators. The gantry platforms now have three "stack" height options, and the whole stack can now be move downward up to 2.4m with a new deploy limit slider. Of course, B9PS UI groups have been added as well.

QL9g5XW.png

I also added a separate version of the Soyuz crew elevator, so if only the elevator portion is  desired, it can be used without all the gantry arm stuff. Attached to the usual tower/accessory nodes.

And the final thing....the blue color option has now been added!

i1tnrGj.png

On 10/22/2020 at 2:13 AM, flamerboy67664 said:

Would be great man if both the Shuttle and Saturn launcher platforms get the same horizontal leg position alignment like the Atlas pad, where you can align the platform legs as you choose. Right now, the Shuttle MLP legs are kinda misaligned and  funny when the External tank is aligned towards the VAB Door, which is the optimal usage when using Tundra LC-39 statics.

Thanks for reminding me of that; I had planned to do that but it slipped my mind. It will be part of the final v2.1 updates.

Added a yellow color option to the general and launch stand umbilicals and  general swings arms.

The Vanguard tower was reworked to have the transform moving method. Functionally no different, but now the visual height matches the engineer report's height, and there's node moving for the bottom attach node.

Running into a problem with trying to use B9PS to rotate the launch clamp bases. What I had thought was working with the Atlas stand was actually a result of the foot pads and column beams being in a symmetrical square pattern, so it only looked like it was working. When I tried a non-symmetrical pattern, it was clear that the launch clamp transforms were not rotating with the main stand mesh.  They can be rotated just fine in Unity, but once in KSP, ModuleLaunchClamp locks down all the related transforms, and not even B9PS can affect them. I got around that problem with the Atlas stand by deleting the troublesome meshes, which was ok since they were irrelevant anyway. :) 

For the Saturn and Shuttle bases, I tried rotating the actual meshes for the columns and foot pads with B9PS and not the parent transforms used by ModuleLaunchClamp. They did rotate that way, but not with the launch base mesh, they were very out of sync. So I'm going to provide a separate alternate rotated version, done in Unity, with the columns and such positioned properly,

Forget all that, I was doing it wrong. With some help, I got B9PS to rotate the base properly! :)  No need for alternare versions.

https://gfycat.com/knobbyuncommonallensbigearedbat

Edited by AlphaMensae

And with that, plus some .cfg revisions for the Saturn and Shuttle parts, v2.1 dev work has ended!  Final update to AlphaDev has been done, any furthur changes/fixes will be done in the offical release.

Now to make up new craft files and do the assembly for the release, as well a  new trailer video and assembly guides (those may have to wait a bit).

On 10/29/2020 at 11:19 AM, dieDoktor said:

Just wanted to cut in and say thanks for making and maintaining this mod! Love it, and looking forward to the full release of 2.1, whenever it gets here :wink:. Just installed the dev version and cant wait to play around with it.

Thanks!  It's become my passion now, so lots more to come. :) 

I've been (slowly) rebuilding/finalizing the v2.1 craft files, as well as taking basic screenshots and making launch demo clips, starting with BDB. Along the way I've been making small fixes and putting them on AlphaDev, despite what I said. :D Namely, I gave the Gemini Crew Elevator just one elevator max height like the other elevators, since I forgot about it.

I think I will get the craft files assembled, then do the official release, saving the updated Ignition Sequence Start video for later.

Expect the release to happen this weekend. :) 

Craft files have been rebuilt to v2.1 specs. They cover a range of BDB rockets, a few from Tundra, the Tantares Soyuz, and the SOCK and Cormorant shuttle stacks.  All were made in KSP 1.8.1

I also removed the old Subassemblies folder, it's been replaced with four MLP v2.1 Example files (using stock part rockets), plus bare versions of the Saturn and Shuttle launcher assemblies.

Caight and fixed a silly bug in the Small Crew Arm - Small Mount.  Retitled a lot of the Saturn parts to give a better order in the part window.

I also added an in-flight mass switcher to the freestanding Saturn and Shuttle launch bases in the Extras. Now their initial mass is 1t so they can be transported easily by a wheeled or tracked vehicle, then switched to 2000t once on the launch pad.

Just have to assemble the new screenshots for the OP, write the changelog and update the OP...and it's release time! :) 

VERSION 2.1.0 RELEASED!

NOW ON SPACEDOCK AND GITHUB

CHANGELOG:

NEW    NEW    NEW    NEW    NEW

All parts are now hidden from the stock Structural category. Use the custom CCK category tab or the stock custom category (which has subcategories) to find the parts. Delete the Hide_Parts.cfg in the Category folder if you want the parts back in the Structural tab.

The former multi-size merged parts have been split off into separate parts, but the older internal part name is still used for one the new parts. Existing v2.0 craft files will still load, but most likely won't look the same, and will need to be rebuilt.

• NEW:    Historical launch stands for the Bluedog Design Bureau Vanguard, Redstone/Jupiter/Juno, Thor/Delta, Atlas and Titan II rockets, but can be used with other rockets of the same diameters.
  • NEW:    Historical service towers for the new historical launch stands. The Titan II tower comes in single-piece and modular section versions.
  • NEW:    Jupiter-style Petal Cover for the Redstone Launch Stand.
  • NEW:    Mercury-Atlas Crew Elevator, with separate Mercury-Atlas Crew Walkway. Walkway has switchable mounts for use with the smaller crew elevators.
  • NEW:    Atlas Mini Modular Tower, which serves as the historical Atlas tower. Has switchable styles for Agena and Centaur upper stages.
  • NEW:    Atlas-Agena and Atlas-Centaur retracting umbilical arms. The Centaur arms are also available as separate parts.
  • NEW:    Launch Plates, ultra-low profile flat clamp bases for the minimalist style. Three sizes of round and square types.
  • NEW:    Falcon 9-style Launch Plate, and interim N1 and Energia Launch Plates.
  • NEW:    Mini Milkstool Launch Stands. These are small launch-clamp versions of the Saturn Milkstool, with three sizes, each with two height variants.
  • NEW:    Separate non-launch clamp versions of the Mini Milkstools, with built-in decouplers for use with Launch Plates and Launch Bases.
  • NEW:    Launch Rails, add-on part for Launch Stands, Plates and Bases. Four sizes with built-in decoupler, can be rotated with Animated Attachment or B9PartSwitch.
  • NEW:    Extra-Large General Service Tower, styled after the Titan III/IV fixed service tower.
  • NEW:    Titan III/IV Mast, the angled structure which was located on the Titan III/IV Mobile Launcher.
  • NEW:    Small General Crew Elevator, comprised of separate modular sections (base, multi-height core, top). Uses the Large General Arm, Small General Crew Arm or Mercury-Atlas Crew Walkway with appropriate mount types.
  • NEW:    Mini General Crew Elevator, comprised of separate 2-height core and multi-height tower sections. Uses the Small General Crew Arm or Mercury-Atlas Crew Walkway with appropriate mount types.
  • NEW:    Small General Crew Arm, with separate versions for the Small and Mini General Crew Elevators.
  • NEW:    Droop-style general umbilicals. Four sizes of simple bent-style umbilical hoses for a bit more realism.
  • NEW:    Two more sizes of the basic beam-style swing arms.
  • NEW:    Mini size General Fallback Tower, sized for Electron/Falcon 1-style rockets.
  • NEW:    Rodan Crew Access Arm, sized for the Tundra Exploration Rodan (SpaceX Crew Dragon) capsule, and used with the Shuttle FSS Tower.
  • NEW:    General Mounting Platform, an alternate version of the Mini Flat Launch Base, with solid deck, toggleable railings and side attach nodes. Use for supporting ground structures.

REVISED        REVISED        REVISED        REVISED

• REVISED:    General Launch Stand has been split into separate Round and Rectangle versions, and both completely remade. Redstone-style service pole removed from Round version (now in the Redstone Launch Stand), but still available as a separate part.
  • REVISED:    Flat and General Launch Bases have been split into separate sizes, with added detail and hole options, and new ladders. Ladders and railings have separate switchable colors.
  • REVISED:    General Service Towers have been split into separate size versions, and each split into separate modular section parts: stackable core, multi-height section (except for the Extra-Large Tower) and top section with optional mast(s).
  • REVISED:    The former General Crew Elevator and Crew Arm have been renamed the Large General Crew Elevator and Crew Arm. Elevator has been split into modular section parts, with two versions of the base. Large Crew Arm has separate Large and Small Elevator mount types, and more length variants.
  • REVISED:    General Swing Arms have been split into separate size versions, and all completely remade.
  • REVISED:    General Straight Umbilicals remade.
  • REVISED:    Atlas V Service Mast and Delta II Service Tower, with additional details and/or changed styling. Separate modular section versions now available.
  • REVISED:    Former Small Test Stand had been split into three separate versions: Cradle type, Tower Type and Engine Type.
  • REVISED:    Flat Vertical Bolt General Hold-Down now has a tall bolt variant.
  • REVISED:    Saturn and Shuttle Towers have been split into separate modular sections, consisting of the base, multi-heght core, 2-height crew access and top.
  • REVISED:    Shuttle FSS tower sections have an alternate SpaceX-style black&white color scheme, and optional mesh side panels added.
  • REVISED:    Shuttle RSS Hinge has been split off into a separate part, with the detail being toggleable, and black color option added. Now the current state of the FSS on LC-39A can be recreated without having to add the full RSS.
  • REVISED:    Saturn Hammerhead Crane is now an animated part instead of free-rotating.  The original-style lightning mast is included, also still available separately.
  • REVISED:    The tall white cylinder alternate Saturn Lightning Mast is now the Shuttle Lightning Mast with different mount options.
  • REVISED:    Saturn and Shuttle Launch Bases can now be properly rotated using B9PartSwitch--no more misaligned support legs!
  • REVISED:    Mass values for the Saturn and Shuttle tower sections have been reduced to tiny amounts.
  • REVISED:    The Freestanding versions of the Saturn and Shuttle Launch Bases (in the Extras folder of the download) now have switchable masses: 1 ton for transport, 2000 tons for on the launch pad.
  • REVISED:    Soyuz Launch Base parts now have a third blue color option, based on the ESA Soyuz pad colors.
  • REVISED:    Soyuz Large Fuel Arm, Small Fuel Arm and Gantry. More height options, straight-sided extension for the Small Arm and switchable-adjustable platform stack for the Gantry.

GENERAL        GENERAL        GENERAL

• Extensive use of B9PartSwitch transform move and rotate, node move and UI Group features for smaller part sizes and easier to understand Part Action Windows.
  • All launch clamp bases and stands can now have the staging disabled when a milkstool or launch rail or other part is attached to them.
  • Various part title and description changes; part cost is now 1 for everything.
  • Removed simple rescale patch from Extras. Realism Overhaul now directly supports Modular Launch Pads, ask the RO devs for additional support/help if needed, it is their responsibility.
  •  Remade all craft files for v2.1. Subassemblies removed, there are now four Example MLP craft files (with a stock rocket for demo purposes), along with bare versions of the Saturn and Shuttle launchers.

The OP will be partially updated, and the new screenshots will come later (it'll take some work)

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Such a big update, I'm wondering if it will break any of my existing craft.

All the old v2.0 internal part names have been retained by one of the new split off parts, so existing craft files will still load. They however won't look the same, as they may use a size variant that now is a new part.  So for example you may get a large launch base where you had a small one. :D 

The General Service Towers and Saturn and Shuttle towers have also been furthur converted into separate modular sections, so they will look very broken, but still load; just need to be rebuilt.  KSP no longer updates attach nodes in existing craft files if the nodes have been changed in the parts themselves, so everything will still be attached to them.

OP has been updated.  Most of the screenshots and feature descriptions replaced or updated.

Most of the new screenshots are mine, as I had to remove the older non-Saturn and Shuttle Zorg ones since they now are outdated, and Zorg has been too busy making stuff for BDB to actually play KSP and take those amazing screenshots. :D 

Is it possible to define in which direction the Swing Arms swing when activated via staging? The arms decouple and swing away if I activate them in the staging order, but I can't control which way they move. I've tried setting "Toggle Arm <Direction>" via the Action Group for "Staging", but that doesn't seem to do anything. I can "Toggle Arm <Direction>" via a numbered Action Group, but I liked the previous behavior where I could fire up the engines and swing the arms just by hitting Spacebar for that first stage (which technically still works, but it's not so great when a swing arm is attached to the side of the spacecraft, and then tries to swing "through" the vehicle).

14 minutes ago, jfjohnny5 said:

Is it possible to define in which direction the Swing Arms swing when activated via staging? The arms decouple and swing away if I activate them in the staging order, but I can't control which way they move. I've tried setting "Toggle Arm <Direction>" via the Action Group for "Staging", but that doesn't seem to do anything. I can "Toggle Arm <Direction>" via a numbered Action Group, but I liked the previous behavior where I could fire up the engines and swing the arms just by hitting Spacebar for that first stage (which technically still works, but it's not so great when a swing arm is attached to the side of the spacecraft, and then tries to swing "through" the vehicle).

No, staging them can only be done in one direction, the default to the left one, as Animated Decouplers can only handle one animation.

If you want the arms to swing the other way, it has to be done via action group, as that's a different animation.

8 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

No, staging them can only be done in one direction, the default to the left one, as Animated Decouplers can only handle one animation.

If you want the arms to swing the other way, it has to be done via action group, as that's a different animation.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification!