[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

On 3/19/2021 at 9:16 AM, GuessingEveryDay said:

Look at all those pictures that can't agree what the launch pad may look like!

SpaceX:

Reveal hidden contents

xHaLsdX.png

ErcX SpaceX:

Reveal hidden contents

VRBrFMR.png

SpaceXVision's launchpad:

Reveal hidden contents

fxesBp5.png

It’s almost like people should stop treating Starship as though it were already a real rocket, and recognize it for the extremely-work-in-progress concept that it is...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 2:47 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

It’s almost like people should stop treating Starship as though it were already a real rocket, and recognize it for the extremely-work-in-progress concept that it is...

Liking SpaceX is one thing, but I swear people treat them and starship like the messiah.

Note that I'm also not making anything for Blue Origin either, so it's not some bias against SpaceX, I'm just not interested in rockets that don't exist. Flying grain silos don't count :P 

MLP started out as the Saturn V and Soyuz launch bases, and historical rockets will always be the main focus. I added the General bases and towers for the newer things (which are now also mostly historical) and everything else.

What I do have time for is small updates.

The next minor update will have slowed down crew elevators, as they were moving far faster than I has expected.  They were fine when running KSP on my laptop, but now I'm back on a desktop PC, and I have green clock all the time, and yeah, they were going too fast :D 

All of them will be slowed down, so it'll be "Slow Ride" instead of rapid ascent.

I also removed the different height presets for the Saturn and Shuttle elevators. They made having a single elevator speed impossible, and was just more needless complexity, so now the Saturn elevator is fixed at 80m, and the Shuttle one at 45m.

Earlier I added a red color option to the Shuttle tower parts and RSS for that quasi-Vandenberg look.

12 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

The next minor update will have slowed down crew elevators,

I'm super interested in checking out any changes you make the elevators, as I tend to have issues with them. The redstone elevator almost always leaves without the kerbal, and the kerbal drops to the ground. Maybe a slower speed will help with that.

VERSION 2.1.5!

Version 2.1.5 is now on Spacedock and the GitHub.

Changelog:

• All crew elevators have been greatly slowed down so they are now useable on fast computers. This now results in a "slow ride" to the access arm.
  • Added a simple manual drop-down safety gate to the cars of the Large and Snall General Crew Elevators.
  • Removed the max height preset options from the Saturn and Shuttle crew elevators. Saturn elevators are now fixed at 80m max height, the Shuttle elevators at 45m amx height. Done so a single elevator speed could be implemented and to reduce needless complexity.
  • Soyuz Large Fuel Arm umbilicals can now be separately adjusted in horizontal length.
  • Soyuz Large Fuel Arm lower umbilical can also be separately adjusted in vertical position.
  • Added red color option to all of the Shuttle FSS tower parts, arms and the RSS, for that quasi-Vandenberg look.
  • Removed base collider from the Flat Vert Bolt General Hold-Down, leaving just the center collider, to prevent collider clipping issues.
  • Added missing Energia Launch Plate .cfg file, so it now shows up in the part list. Ok, I somehow forgot to make one the first time.

Note especially that line about the Saturn and Shuttle elevators only having a single max height now. Having multiple height variants made a single elevator speed impossible, so they were done away with.

Something I forgot all about the first time with v2.1 was the .cfg file for the simple Energia Launch Plate I had made :blush:  Well, I finally made one. :D It's very simple, with the booster/Zenit cutouts in symmetry about the core, but it still works with the actual non-symmetrical Zenits on the Energia-Buran.

Saturn, Shuttle and Soyuz craft files haven't been updated yet, that will take some time to do.

@OrbitalManeuversI tested out all the elevators (on my new desktop PC this time, which green clocks with any base-tower setup I throw at it, unlike my laptop :D ), and it is indeed a slow ride for Kerbals now.  The Redstone elevator (if I remember right) is now slow enough that Kerbals don't even jitter on the way down. I couldn't do that for the taller elevators though, as the ride up would take way too long, but Kerbals can still ride down without falling off, they just do this jitter-dance.

Edited by AlphaMensae

In the case that I only need the soyuz part of this mod, so the category (I mean the tiny plus button in the corner of each part) doesn't seen really helpful.

How can I disable it?

etc. the elevator in full slider just exceed the top of  the service towel of soyuz.

7 hours ago, KallangoVerde said:

Hello AlphaMensae

I used your mod a long time ago and I'm creating a new career with specific parts of mods ... so I would like to use only part of your mod ...

The Shuttle platform, the Soyuz platform and test stands. What can I delete in the folder without creating problems?

You have to keep the Saturn_Shuttle folder, but the .cfgs and .mus for the Satun V-specific parts can be deleted, except for the hammerhead crane.

The test stands are in the General_Bases folder.  .cfgs and .mus for the other parts can be deleted.  Do not delete the texures (.dds files).

The Soyuz parts are in their own folder. Launch_Stands and Launch_Plates can be deleted.

2 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Você deve manter a pasta Saturn_Shuttle, mas os .cfgs e .mus para as peças específicas do Satun V podem ser excluídos, exceto para o guindaste martelo.

Os bancos de teste estão na pasta General_Bases. .cfgs e .mus para as outras partes podem ser excluídos. Não exclua os textos (arquivos .dds).

As peças Soyuz estão em sua própria pasta. Launch_Stands e Launch_Plates podem ser excluídos.

OK, thank you friend!

Ok, I figured out why the crew elevators are having problems in KSP versions after 1.8.1.  I think it's the new anchoring system added to keep Kerbals and objects from sliding around. In KSP 1.11, in which I did the testing, Kerbals in the Large General Elevator car started to phase into the floor of the car, and even fell out through the bottom when the car's speed was faster before I slowed them down. In KSP 1.8.1, there was no such phasing, the Kerbal stoof perfectly still. It seems the anchoring system is trying to keep the Kerbals in place while the car is moving.

I slowed down the elevators even more, and the phasing was less severe, but was still present.  The fix, aside from slowing down the elevators even more, is to jump and/or move the Kerbals while the car is moving, this prevents them from phasing through the bottom.

Another way would be to attach command chairs into the cars, but that would also require the use of Animated Attachment, which brings a whole other set of problems.

VERSION 2.1.6!

Changelog:

• Slowed down the General Crew Elevators, Saturn Tower elevators and Shuttle Tower elevators even more to help alleviate the Kerbals phasing through the floor of the elevator car that happens with the new anchoring system introduced into KSP.
  • Revised the Modify_Animated_Attachment.cfg to add the Animated Attachment module to the crew elevators to allow the use of command chairs in the elevator car.
  • Retitled the Extra Large General Modular Service Tower to the Titan III Modular Service Tower, and moved it to the Special Service Towers subcategory.

I can't completely eliminate the Kerbal phasing problem with the crew elevators that's most likely caused by the new anchoring system wihout making the cars move at a snail's pace.

Two solutions to the problem:

1> Jump and/or move the Kerbals while the car is moving, this counteracts the anchoring system trying to keep them in place.

2> Install Animated Attachment, and attach command chairs to the floor of the elevator car. Have the Kerbals board the chairs for the ride up. Note, only one chair may fit in the car. If you use the Animated Attachment method, DELETE THE ANIMATEDATTACHMENT.CFG file in the AnimatedAttachment folder in GameData, or it will add the Animated Attachment module to dozens of parts and cause all kind of problems. I have a patch file to remove AA from MLP parts and then add it to only those that could use it.

5 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

The Redstone and Vanguard launch stands have been moved out of the Start node - is that on purpose? It's a bummer because they used to pair well with Explorer 1 or Vanguard 1 which are both buildable from Start. 

Yes, all the historical specialty stands and associated towers were moved to the Launch Stands tech node.  The two general launch stands can handle a lot of smaller stock builds, while the historic ones are meant for BDB, so they ought to be grouped together in a special node.

17 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Yes, all the historical specialty stands and associated towers were moved to the Launch Stands tech node.  The two general launch stands can handle a lot of smaller stock builds, while the historic ones are meant for BDB, so they ought to be grouped together in a special node.

Hmm ok, your mod your rules. I've put the Redstone stand back in Start on my install, since Explorer is in the Start node. Otherwise you can't afford to build Explorer until you've flown Explorer. The previous setup worked out great a first historical build.

44 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hmm ok, your mod your rules. I've put the Redstone stand back in Start on my install, since Explorer is in the Start node. Otherwise you can't afford to build Explorer until you've flown Explorer. The previous setup worked out great a first historical build.

Up to @AlphaMensae but it might be useful to bundle an optional patch that, if BDD is installed, moves the launch stands into the same node as the related rocket.  I don't see much purpose in gaiting the launch stands further down the tech tree than their associated rocket as they're mostly cosmetic and used by players who enjoy a bit of verisimilitude.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:32 AM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Launch sounding rockets first :P 

I just wanted consistency.

Seeing Rocketology use the newest General Large Crew Elevator confirmed that as long as Kerbals are walking around the elevator car as it goes up, they are fine. It's when they are still that the anchoring system takes over and tries to pull them through the bottom.

So keep that in mind with KSP 1.11.x and 1.10.x

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a change that works on my system to fix the colors of the Atlas launch stand, as currently only the first two color selections work. Edit the config file Launch_Stands/Atlas-Launch-Stand.cfg, and scroll down to the B9 section for "Stand Color". The first two colors have "currentTexture=LaunchStands01" and changing the other colors to have the same, instead of LauchStands04, fixes the problem for me.