[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

Ok, so adding another animation for ModuleAnimatedDecoupler to use is going to take a lot more time than simply replacing ModuleAnimateGeneric with ModuleAnimatedDecoupler, as I have to go into Unity and build a copy of the original animation with a new name.

So, since I had to do that, I took the time to modify the Saturn tail service mast, giving it an actual blast hood shutter that closes:

DetailedRespectfulIvorybackedwoodswallow

There may be a few more simple changes like that (not the arms...not yet). :)

Ok, as an intermediate step before the Saturn tower arm revamp, I created a custom category for Modular Launch Pads, and removed the category value from all of the Saturn tower arms' .cfg files (just commented it out), so they won't show up in the Structural category, but can still be found by a search.

Custom categories are accessed by clicking on the big green arrow to the upper left of the part list window to switch to Advanced mode, as you would to get to Subassemblies.

I've added the animated decoupler modules to all the Saturn red arms, hold down arms and tail service mast, and they work nicely.  Just have to write out the gray arms now.

Also, as part of the arm revamp, I'm also going to make the launcher base inserts configurable by animation deploy limit as well, so there will be just a general square and rectangular one.  The crew access tower section will also have an adjustable floor, instead of the snap-in platform. :)

Well, all the dual-color parts have had the B9PS module put in.

All of the original gray parts--the stuff in Tower_Gray--are now in a Deprecated folder, and will be included in this update so any craft files won't be broken. They won't be in any category (stock or custom) or tech tree node, and at some future date will not be included any more.

Also,  I decided to update the crew access tower section, by making the floor adjustable by deploy limit slider...one more part eliminated. :)

AdmirableJauntyHapuka-size_restricted.gi

Version 1.2 now on Spacedock!

Changelog:

1.2    B9 Part Switch texture switching added to the Saturn Tower parts which had red and gray versions; these now only have one part which can be switched between red and gray variants.

*** Texture Switching only available with KSP 1.3.1 and 1.4.x versions of B9 Part Switch ***

All animated Saturn Pad parts (swing arms, hold down arms, tail service masts) can now be staged using Animated Decouplers as well as using the original animation movement.

*** All the original gray parts are now in a Deprecated folder, they will not appear in any category or tech tree node. At a future update, these parts will be removed.

The Crew access tower section now has an adjustable floor, done by the deploy limit in the right-click menu. The older alternate walkway part is now deprecated.

Custom category created for the Modular Launch Pads parts. The tower arms also will not appear in any stock category.

Some tweaks to the Saturn hold down arms and tail service mast parts and animations.

Just pushed v1.2.1 to Spacedock, this just changed the category of the Saturn tower arms and the deprecated parts to -1, so now they actually won't show up in the stock Stuctural tab.  :)

Apparently just commenting out the Category = line isn't enough, as they weren't in the Structural tab...but I found out that all those parts showed up in the Fuel Tanks tab instead.

In dev news, Ive figured out that "node =" in a B9 Part Switch subtype enables a certain node (or nodes).  That means mesh-switchable tower section sizes, in both height and girth, with nodes that match the selected size. :)

Ok, started work on the American Launch Stand, the launch clamp-type counterpart to the Russian Launch Stand.  Still WIP, but I got two of the three ring sizes (mostly) done:

GrimContentIcterinewarbler-size_restrict

Yep, mesh-switchable ring sizes :)

This is just the base, the tower and accessories will be nexr.

Using the latest release in KSP 1.3.1 and the most parts didn`t show up in VAB. The reason is: The most parts has no categories (category = -1 or the category is commented out).

Do you have some plans for TweakScale compatibility because teh most parts are too big for smaller launchers.

Edited by Cheesecake

6 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Using the latest release in KSP 1.3.1 and the most parts didn`t show up in VAB. The reason is: The most parts has no categories (category = -1 or the category is commented out).

Do you have some plans for TweakScale compatibility because teh most parts are too big for smaller launchers.

It's been mentioned by the OP, but use the big arrows in the top left corner of the part menu to expand that menu (as if you were going to grab a subassembly).  Down near the bottom of the expanded list, just above the 'plus' sign, you'll see the custom tab for Modular Launch Pads

15 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Thanks, @smotheredrun:)

@Cheesecake,  Yes, I took the swing arms and all of the deprecated parts (all the original gray ones plus the snap-in walkway) out of any stock tab as a temporary fix to prevent clogging up the Structural tab.  They're still available by doing a search, and I made a custom category for Modular Launch Pads.

As for smaller launchers,  presently there is a set of swing arms sized for 1.875m tanks without having to adjust anything.  For smaller tank sizes, you'll have to move the arms and/or tower base to get a fit.  There are plans to accomodate smaller launchers, they are still WIP.  The American Launch Stand alternative that I'm working on now will be able to handle 0.625m tanks, and a revamp of the big Saturn pad will change the tower sections and arms to accomodate more tank sizes.

Another Question: How can I release the Russian Launch Stand Arm Assembly? I can retract the Crew Elevator and the Service Arm but not the four other arms. With the first "toggle"-Button the arms move to the middle but do not swing apart to get the Launcher free.

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

Another Question: How can I release the Russian Launch Stand Arm Assembly? I can retract the Crew Elevator and the Service Arm but not the four other arms. With the first "toggle"-Button the arms move to the middle but do not swing apart to get the Launcher free.

The four clamp arms are released by staging (they have the decoupler icon), so put them with the base in the same stage.  The Animated Decouplers plugin needs to be installed, two different versions are included.

Did you install Animated Decouplers correctly?  The full .zip files are included,  and inside them is a Gamedat folder; inside that is the AnimatedDecouplers folder that you copy to your KSP Gamedata.

Also check to see if staging was disabled for the arms.

Otherwise I'd need to see screenshots, as I'm using KSP 1.3.1 and the staging icon does show:

aZh4kvZ.png

Now working on the crew tower for the American Launch Stand (more complex than the unmanned tower, so it comes first), and already decided there will be at least two switchable height versions, in wide and narrow sizes.  Probably needs a third, medium option, as it would work better for something like a Gemini-Titan II:

AmusedChillyGuppy-size_restricted.gif

Decided to remove the dual-width towers, they are now a single width (or girth), but it varies for each tower: short one is the narrowest, the tall one is the widest.

Also, each tower will be a different style.  The short one has the Mercury-Atlas service structure-style simple 'X' type cross-struts, the medium one will be sorta patterned after the Gemini tower, and the tall one will have the Saturn tower-style cross-brace struts and plates (which was used on the LC 34 and 37 tower for the Saturn I and IB).

Working on the crew arm for the short and medium towers, a simple type without the Apollo white room.  WIP demo:

The walkway extension is adjustable with one of the right-click deploy limit sliders.

Edited by AlphaMensae

Hmm, This looks cool. I was looking for something like this a while back. Is this integrated with Extraplanetary Launchpads or Kerbinside in anyway? Personally Id like to perma replace the stock launchpad, or put an extra one(lets say one of these)  somewhere around the KSC that could launch vehicles from the vab/sph or with EPL.

1 hour ago, Jesusthebird said:

Hmm, This looks cool. I was looking for something like this a while back. Is this integrated with Extraplanetary Launchpads or Kerbinside in anyway? Personally Id like to perma replace the stock launchpad, or put an extra one(lets say one of these)  somewhere around the KSC that could launch vehicles from the vab/sph or with EPL.

Thank you :)

No, it's meant to be a stand-alone thing, just parts that can be used with the stock launchpad.  The original goal behind them after all was to launch realistic-style Soyuzes and Saturn Vs from realistic-stye functional launch pads.

Of course, they certainly can be used with custom Kerbal Konstructs pads, and while I only have token knowledge of Extraplanetary Launchpads, if it allows parts or launch clamps to spawn elsewhere, then these pads should work with it too.