[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

Version 2.5 Released on Spacedock and the GitHub!

Changelog:

*    Added crew capacity to all Crew Elevators and hatches (Airlocks) to the elevator cars, so Kerbals can still "ride" the elevators up and avoid the anchoring system shenanigans which plague Kerbals on EVA. The hatches have no mesh, but the colliders are big enough for easy clicking.
*    Elevator car floor should be at least a few cm above any crew arm walkway or tower floor to avoid the hatches being blocked.
*    Greatly increased the speed of all crew elevator cars, as the slow speeds were no longer necessary with the new hatches. Apologies to anyone wanting to use the elevators normally in KSP versions after 1.8.1.

Continuing with the General Launch Bases restructure, I got the new Micro Launch Base almost done:

vvEqcoT.png

Then I realized I need a Micro Fallback Tower, and yes, it will be styled after the Electron one, just not exactly. :)  Thinner and shorter, enough to handle Electron-class rockets.

This was a fun quick job; I made the core of the deck on a previous night, then I made the frame block in a few hours in the evening.  :) 

Edited by AlphaMensae

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@AlphaMensae IDK why, but for some reason when I launch with MLP parts, the screen goes black. I don't know if its a mod conflict or a problem with the code. 

This is with the latest release btw.

Here's my log: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3xjjs8ji17gfcw/KSP.log?dl=0

I think this is the same problem that came up before for someone else, and I think the cause is Connected Living Spaces having problems with the crew capacity for the large general crew arm (then) and now the crew elevators.

7 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

I think this is the same problem that came up before for someone else, and I think the cause is Connected Living Spaces having problems with the crew capacity for the large general crew arm (then) and now the crew elevators.

Don't have connected living spaces, but I do have ship manifest.

6 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

is there a guide for how to line up the Pads? Trying to line up the shuttle pad on 39A 

The only one for the shuttle is the old assembly guide video linked in the OP.

Since you're using 39A, you can rotate the whole thing so it sits on the pad like the real one. If using the Tundra's Space Center static, it has the curved track for the RSS wheels.

Edited by AlphaMensae

11 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Here's my log: 

So, you have megabytes worth of NullRefs from MAS components.  What happens if you launch just a probe core on a launch stand?

edit: now that I think about it, MAS probably inserts itself there, too. :/

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

1 hour ago, x170doom said:

just tested, issue not present on last build, something that the newest update changed is causing it

I did two test launches, one with the Mini General Crew Elevator and one with Small one, on my lightweight dev install (very limited mods, none of them being major gameplay altering ones) and no blackout.  It must be some mod I don't have not liking the elevators (and large crew arm) having crew capacity.

Here is a MM patch to remove the crew capacity from the crew elevators, leaving the Large arm and Soyuz Gantry alone:

@PART[AM_MLP_*Elevator*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity]:AFTER[ModularLaunchPads]
{
    -CrewCapacity = del
}

Alternatively, to remove crew capacity from all the MLP parts, use @PART[AM_MLP*]

5 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

So, you have megabytes worth of NullRefs from MAS components.  What happens if you launch just a probe core on a launch stand?

edit: now that I think about it, MAS probably inserts itself there, too. :/

When I launch without any of the MLP's it works just fine. It's just MLP that causes the errors. Probably MAS trying to replace a non-existent screen? 

5 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

When I launch without any of the MLP's it works just fine. It's just MLP that causes the errors. Probably MAS trying to replace a non-existent screen? 

The elevators do have an IVA as well, the stock Generic 3 space, to provide crew portraits and the EVA button, though EVA can be done from the hatch as well. Don't think the stock generic ones have any usable props or screens.

16 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

The elevators do have an IVA as well, the stock Generic 3 space, to provide crew portraits and the EVA button, though EVA can be done from the hatch as well. Don't think the stock generic ones have any usable props or screens.

Not sure which iva is Generic 3, but I have RPM which adds custom screens to most if not all IVAs and then MAS overwrites those to add custom IVA layouts, IIRC. So it's trying to add a screen or prop, but can't for some reason.  I'll just install your MM patch, roll back to 2.4 or just won't use the elevators until the problem gets fixed. 

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I was kinda aiming for a launch that did include a launch stand, but didn't include anything that MAS would get involved with, just to see if that helped. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, kerbalboi said:

can we please for the love of god have non static versions of the pads, i found this really good crawler mod but i can't use modular launch pads on it which sucks

No, they are designed to be launch clamps. The free-standing Saturn and Shuttle bases can explode on spawn or when you get another vessel within physics range, which is why I switched to making everything launch clamps.

4 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

No, they are designed to be launch clamps. The free-standing Saturn and Shuttle bases can explode on spawn or when you get another vessel within physics range, which is why I switched to making everything launch clamps.

just saw what was in the extras folder my b