[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

8 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I tried to use the hammerhead crane. Seems to work inside the VAB, but once on the launchpad, anything attached to it stays right there mid-air while the crane turns. Reminds me of old IR days... Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior?

If this is the v2.1 AlphaDev build, then there is a patch that removes Animated Attachment from all MLP parts except the new launch rails.

I could add more exceptions, like for the crane.

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

Any chance of a general retractable strongback? Kind of like Tundra's strongback, but in various different sizes. 

There's already two of them, Large and Small, in the current release, and v2.1 adds a new mini size one. :)

All three have multiple height variants as well.

20 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

There's already two of them, Large and Small, in the current release, and v2.1 adds a new mini size one. :)

All three have multiple height variants as well.

I'm aware of the one that's meant to be connected to the base plate, I was asking about the ones who connect to the rocket's bottom directly.

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

I'm aware of the one that's meant to be connected to the base plate, I was asking about the ones who connect to the rocket's bottom directly.

Ah, no, that makes them too complicated and restrictive for general use. I already took the integrated arms out of the Soyuz Launch Base for those reasons. The General Fallback Towers are part of the "modular" philosophy, and so can be used with the launch bases and plates.

There is a new Falcon 9-style launch plate in v2.1, wide enough to accommodate the full-width Large Fallback tower.

6 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

When's 2.1 coming out?

Although an interesting solution would be releasing the Dev Branch as an seperate mod, you just add the warning "WIP", so you have the option to stick with trusted launch pads, or try new ones that aren't available to those who don't look deep enough.

The v2.1 dev branch is for those who want an early look at it, and also for testing, since I can overlook simple things due to the complexity of the parts.

The official release is still not exactly known, but I am in the final phase where I'm going over the General Pads parts (since they were done first) and upgrading them with UI grorups, transform movinh and other advanced B9PS features I had been reluctant to use before.  I also work a full-time job now, so I have much less time on weekdays to do dev work. But I think within 30 days or so it should be ready.

16 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

If this is the v2.1 AlphaDev build, then there is a patch that removes Animated Attachment from all MLP parts except the new launch rails.

I could add more exceptions, like for the crane.

Yes it's from AlphaDev, I'm not sure how old it is though... The crane was just an experiment. I'm trying to make a functioning version of this, including a crane:

PQsdl8p.png

Are you planning to build a Starship service tower once we know how it will really look like?

For now I used the large general service tower, with an upside down Atlas V tower top attached to its side. I tried making it movable with a servo from Breaking Ground, but it just bends even without any load attached. Not sure though how to actually lift the ship. Maybe I'll patch a docking port junior into the nose and use a KAS winch or something like that.

15 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Yes it's from AlphaDev, I'm not sure how old it is though... The crane was just an experiment. I'm trying to make a functioning version of this, including a crane:

Are you planning to build a Starship service tower once we know how it will really look like?

I made the Hammerhead crane's rotation an animation, just 90° though. I did add it as an exception to the Modify_Animated_Attachment.cfg so it gets the AA module.

I don't know about the Starship tower, right now I don't have any particular desire to make it.

Don't mind the Ares MAV 2nd stage atop the Titan IVA, but is there a way in configuring the new Titan GSE that it does not clip and cause vibrations while using the Tundra SLC-41 static? Or does anything need to be modified? thanks!

YsENwVW.png

Edited by flamerboy67664

6 minutes ago, flamerboy67664 said:

Don't mind the Ares MAV 2nd stage atop the Titan IVA, but is there a way in configuring the new Titan GSE that it does not clip and cause vibrations while using the Tundra SLC-41 static? Or does anything need to be modified? thanks!

The Tundra SLC-41 is actually the current version as used by Atlas V, and not the old Titan III/IV one, that's why. :) May have to use another static.

The Titan III/IV fixed tower wasn't on the mobile launch platform, but on the pad itself; the mast was on the platform, fitted up against (or so) the tower. 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:01 AM, GuessingEveryDay said:

Although an interesting solution would be releasing the Dev Branch as an seperate mod, you just add the warning "WIP", so you have the option to stick with trusted launch pads, or try new ones that aren't available to those who don't look deep enough.

this is confusing. you literally have a WIP release available to you right now, except it's even better than a "WIP release" - because if something cool gets added the next day you just go get it. if you want a frozen WIP release then copy the dev branch as it is today and don't update it. not sure what problem you're looking for a solution to. i've been on the dev branch for months and using all the new parts, no regrets. personally, i'm not waiting for anything. 

It's funny how my my dev cycle has become like Bluedog Design Bureau's, with each major update taking a year or more to do. :D  I don't want to do partially-done releases, as v2.1 updates and reworks most of the original v2.0, so much so that I do not want to officially release it half-done, then do a bunch of successive updates.

That's whay I redid the AlphaDev branch on the GitHub to be like BDB's development branch, it's a complete WIP version of the next release for early users to try out.

1 hour ago, CHEEKYMONKEY6 said:

hi umm I have problems downloading it like it doesn't come up when im in game with the dependencies installed

And was this done by CKAN or manually?  CKAN may not get all the dependencies, as some aren't officially stated for KSP 1.10.x. All are included in the download though.

In the download .zip, there's a GameData folder. Copy (or extract first) the folders inside that GameData folder into your KSP GameData folder, alongside the Squad one. There can be only one GameData folder, so don't just dump the whole .zip (or the .zip itself) into your KSP GameData.

Big update for v2.1 posted to AlphaDev!

I reworked (as I call it when I just reassemble how the parts are done in Unity) the General Crew Elevators (Large, Small and Mini), the General Crew Arms (Large and Small) and the General Fallback Towers (Large, Small and Mini), plus put in proper node-moving for Mercury-Atlas Walkway when the mount type is switched.

The .cfgs for all of them have had B9PS UI groups added to clarify what the deploy limit sliders do

The Large and Small elevator towers now have a base section (2 for the Large, 70m and 130m car heghts) with a single elevator car max height and a single tower section with multiple heights; the tops and the Large Extension remain unchanged. The Mini elevator is now just a multi-height core section and an extra tower section.

The Small General Crew Arm has had extra length variants added.

All the strongbacks have had extra height variants added, and the umbicals now can be vertically adjusted separately from the clamp.

Some screenshots from the VAB showing what the new PAWs look like (Small and Mini Fallback Towers are functionally the same):

Hbnj32v.png

LxeLlgi.png

M6Z61iD.png

Forgot to add that I also removed all the old general crew arms from AlphaDev, the previously split ones each in a different style, which I think i had hidden already. Now there is just the Large and Small General Crew Arms, two of each in different mount sizes. The side-hinged retraction method requires a whole new arm with a different pivot position, so I split those into separate parts.

The Rodan Crew Arm has now been reworked as well, adding B9PS UI Groups and one extra length variant like the other crew arms. It's now on the AlphaDev branch

Using transform moving has allowed me to remove uneeded duplicate meshes, so the net result is that the .mu files got a lot smaller, despite adding extra length variants. :)

I'm now reworking the General Swing Arms, finally going to make the PAW sensible and understandable with a bunch if UI groups.  Also was able to remove the duplicate side umbilicals for the left side of the arm needed for the alternate (to the right) swing direction by using B9's transform rotate and move functions. I had already done that in Unity, by moving and rotating the individual meshes. Now I just do that for a single parent gameobject in the .cfg, and poof! - the .mu size gets much smaller. :) 

I keep forgetting about some details..... :D  The Rodan Crew Arm now has a full 180° retraction, which can be adjusted with a deploy limit slider like the General Crew Arms....set it to whatever you want. :) 

And in a lightbulb moment, I think I figured out how to do the dual crew arm retract directions and different tower size mounts without having to duplicate the arm meshes.

10 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

Finished the Small General Swing Arm rework, which sets the template for the other sizes.

New PAW for those arms:

G2tT9uo.png

Interesting...