[1.8.1-1.12.x] Modular Launch Pads v2.6.1: Launch clamps evolved: Real-style launch bases and towers [03 July 2023]

AlphaMensae

Did a quick side-trip to revise the single-piece Delta II tower to have configurable details:

• Platforms can be the default full-type, bare-type or off
  • Side panels can be 2 sides, 4 sides or off
  • The back detail can be turned off
  • The top masts and detail can be switched like that of the modular top.

Shown here with everything off and in red:

C8onAD0.png

I did this as I realized limiting the tower to the late Delta II configuration was too limiting, as the tower was first used in a simpler form with the Delta D (Thrust Augmented Improved Delta), marking the point where the old Thor-Able fallback tower was stopped being used for Deltas.

delta34.jpg

(Delta #34)

The revised single-piece tower is now on the AlphaDev branch of the GitHub.

The two Delta II modular tower sections will have the new panel options added and will be put on the AlphaDev branch real soon.

On 3/25/2018 at 1:29 PM, AlphaMensae said:

[snipped for brevity]

Hello cool mod but I have a problem. My Shuttle Launcher Base is bigger than it should be. I don't know if I forgot anything during installation, if so please write me what I forgot, thanks :D

Edited by Vanamonde

1 minute ago, XxUnstableStarxX said:

@AlphaMensae Ijust removed the RO_Basic_Patch folder i started KSP and now the Shuttle Launcher Base has now the right size. Thanks :)

That's what I thought it was. :) The Extras are just that, bonus things that are not required, which is why it isn't in the download's GameData folder.

@OrbitalManeuvers Redirecting from your question in the BDB thread:

Which version of the Gemini Crew Elevator are you using, the AlphaDev one or current release? The AlphaDev one has an extendable walkway to connect with the capsule hatch; the first half of the walkway is attached to the elevator car and moves with it.  The current release version has a separately adjustable platfoorm without an extenable section. 

Also, the Geminiu elevator was made as just an elevator, not as the Titan II erector, so it doesn't go around the Titan II....

...which is changing with the remade one, currently being worked on and almost ready to assemble in Unity. This one is made like the erector and will mostly surround the Titan II and fit above the Titan II launch stand, and has the white room on top with an adjustable height floor. :) 

2 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Which version of the Gemini Crew Elevator are you using,

Sorry I didn't make that very clear - I had grabbed both *dev* branches just that morning. In the screenshot, you can see that the sides of the elevator don't look like they're encroaching on the capsule but something definitely is overlapping enough for detection. (And this is without the walkway extended). When I lower the tower, I can EVA fine. Is the elevator just too close? If it's any farther, the walkway won't reach. :/

8 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Sorry I didn't make that very clear - I had grabbed both *dev* branches just that morning. In the screenshot, you can see that the sides of the elevator don't look like they're encroaching on the capsule but something definitely is overlapping enough for detection. (And this is without the walkway extended). When I lower the tower, I can EVA fine. Is the elevator just too close? If it's any farther, the walkway won't reach. :/

This is how the current one is supposed to be located:

Pw4ILlf.png

jruldNx.png

The front panels of the access room should almost come up to the capsule.

But that is about to be rendered obsolete, as the new one is coming together in Unity:

8bz9raK.png

Still have to add the internal platforms into the main tower and make the animations, but those will wait until I do a fit test in KSP to make sure the height is correct for the BDB Titan II GLV.

The front white panels represent the expandable/collapsable work area covers, and will be retractable.

Not sure if there will be extra height variants for the new one, as it's now limited to a max size of 1.875m tanks. May add one or two extra heights. If I do, I'll at least be using the B9PS transform move function to move the whole upper section up as I turn on tower core extensions, so I won't need to duplicate the upper section in the hierarchy.

Just a little concept idea I had, but here it goes.

What if there were KK statics for the towers? For example, there was a configurable static for the shuttle and SpaceX tower? 

This is probably too outlandish, but it would be really cool!

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

What if there were KK statics for the towers? For example, there was a configurable static for the shuttle and SpaceX tower? 

I agree with @alberro+, It would be awesome:D

3 hours ago, alberro+ said:

2 hours ago, Weimaraner said:

I agree with @alberro+, It would be awesome:D

What would be the benefit of that? You cant see the static when you're building in the VAB making positioning of the rocket relative to the tower tricky, you cant customise aspects of it to match different craft, and animating the crew access and shuttle RSS would be problematic to say the least.

If you want more accuracy just get Tundra Space Center (with KSC Extended which builds a full space center using KSC Extended) which provides Pad 39A and B (without towers) and then launch with the appropriate MLP towers.

Its worth noting that the MLP shuttle tower fits the KSC extended Pad 39 perfectly. Even the RSS rolls away precisely over the track for it if you positioned it correctly.

k3h1ng2.png

Edited by Zorg

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

What would be the benefit of that? You cant see the static when you're building in the VAB making positioning of the rocket relative to the tower tricky, you cant customise aspects of it to match different craft, and animating the crew access and shuttle RSS would be problematic to say the least.

If you want more accuracy just get Tundra Space Center (with KSC Extended which builds a full space center using KSC Extended) which provides Pad 39A and B (without towers) and then launch with the appropriate MLP towers.

Its worth noting that the MLP shuttle tower fits the KSC extended Pad 39 perfectly. Even the RSS rolls away precisely over the track for it if you positioned it correctly.

Nicely said! :)   Though the positioning would have to be after putting a craft on the launch pad, then adding in the KK statics and adjusting them in flight mode

I'll add that statics are exactly that: static. Towers as statics would be single-piece units that would have to be sized for a specifc rocket.  There was a good reason why Squad removed the old launch pad tower in an ancient version of KSP.

Not to mention all the animated parts--swing arms, umbilical pipes, hold-downs and such--would be of fixed size and position, and wouldn't be able to be staged at launch.

"Modular Launch Pads" is meant to be just that, Modular (though it was a grandiose title in the begininng :) ). Mix and match them in the lego-style of KSP.

But the fundamental reason against doing towers as KK statics is that I simply did not want Kerbal Konstructs to be a requirement. Sure, Damon's Tundra's Space Center is a great addition for MLP, but the MLP parts are made to work with the stock launch pads.  A lot of KSP players do not use KK, and it would be very unfair to cut them out. In fact, I know of a certain stock-part user who used MLP to make the launch platform and tower for his stock Atlas V-ish rocket ;) There's probably more like that, stock users who may use some visual mods but use MLP because it is not rocket parts and adds a lot of immersiveness to a launch.

In fact there is one more: SnacklessKerbal (who makes some really nice stock-only craft) used the shuttle pad for his stock shuttle:

screenshot6990.png

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

k3h1ng2.png

Personally, I use KK, but I don't mind putting it as parts alongside the vehicle. 

If i'm not wrong, I believe there was a KK mod that had launchpads which could be toggled. MLP could implement this, but it'd be quite a feat. Even without that ability, it's still a great mod. Also, I use KSC Extended, so 

@Zorg A benefit would be less part counts, but that's probably too little of an effect to be counted. 

Edited by alberro+

18 hours ago, alberro+ said:

What if there were KK statics for the towers?

Lol, I just wanted to ask damonvv from Trunda's Space Center the opposite question: if he could make an option to remove the launch tower from TLC 19, as it's purely decorative and blocks me from using the one from Modular Launch Pads :D

EDIT: Maybe you could take a look at this one:

Edited by infinite_monkey

27 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Lol, I just wanted to ask damonvv from Trunda's Space Center the opposite question: if he could make an option to remove the launch tower from TLC 19, as it's purely decorative and blocks me from using the one from Modular Launch Pads :D

You now can turn off the TLC-19 towers, there's a toggle in the KK static window.

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

Uhmm I download the dev version.. some how the launch base spawn the rocket midair at 6k-9k m/s velocity...Do I miss any dependencies?

It comes with everything needed.

Without more detailed information, I have no idea what's going on.

Ok, the new Gemini Crew Elevator needed a bit more work. The big thing was changing how the height variants were set up. Turns out that using the transform move feature of B9PS allows the actual height to actually match that of the chosen setting, so a lower height variant doesn't exceed the launch pad height limit. I already had the whole upper section of the elevator tower being moved upward; I then redid the actual elevator cars the same way. There are still three separate elevators with the increasing travel range, but now the meshes start out at the same height in the .mu and B9PS moves them upward as needed.

Anyways, one more .cfg tweak is needed before it goes on the AlphaDev branch, but here is a little Gemini launch demo I made:

The remade Gemini Crew Elevator is now on the AlphaDev branch of the GitHub! :) 

A note: There is only one color for it,  red with white front panels and white room interior.  The red&white texture for the two towers that have that color option (Thor and Mini 1) is set up in a way that the white can be turned off for the other single-color variants.  The new Gemini Crew Elevator can't have other two-color options without also making those two towers have two-color options as well. And the Gemini elevator is tied to having those white color sections. So the result is only one color option for it.

I also added some probe core modules to the Titan II Launch Stand's .cfg, so the elevator can be controlled without a crew aboard the spacecraft. I'll be doing the same with the other launch stands, plates and bases as time goes on.

55 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

Can the white front panels be closed behind the rocket? Also, is there a roof? I thought the point of the new tower was to protect the rocket from the elements

I simplified it for the sake of ease of use....and to show off Cobalt's purdy Titan II even when it's upright :P 

Certain realistic things just get in the way of KSP gameplay, which is also my main problem with RO--sure it's awesome, but I don't need all that complexity