[1.6.1] Chrononaut v0.4.2 - part mod tool (2019-05-12)

Katten

Summary

Chrononaut is a tool for part modders to reduce the time spent on reloading the database when trying out changes to their parts.

In flight mode, press F8 to reload the models of the parts in your current vessel. 

Features (implemented and planned)

[x] Enabled in flight mode
[x] Enabled in the VAB editor
[x] Reload meshes from file
[x] Update transforms 
[x] Update UVs
[x] Supports configs using the mesh attribute
[x] Supports configs using the MODEL module
[x] Configurable action key
[x] Update model structure 
[x] Update textures

[  ] Attach nodes
[  ] Reload IVA:s

Known issues

* will not load textures that were added (in contrast to updated) after the game was started
* breaks the functionality of engines and other complex objects in flight

Latest release

Available on CKAN or:
https://github.com/KSPKatten/Chrononaut/releases

Change log

Spoiler

v0.2.0:
* now works in the VAB editor

v0.3.0:
* can now reload the complete structure of a model
* handles several corner cases from inconsistent files in stock
* can configure the action key

v0.4.0:
* can now reload updated textures from file

v0.4.1:
* fixed an issue in 0.3.0-0.4.0 where the mod wouldn't work if there was no settings file
* added the settings file in the release.

v0.4.2:
* tested with KSPv1.6.1

License 

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Edited by Katten
Restored download link as source has now been provided on GitHub repo

On 3/25/2018 at 3:47 PM, Katten said:

Chrononaut is a tool for part modders to reduce the time spent on reloading the database when trying out changes to their parts.

Wonderful! Thank you. Have some rep.

v0.4.0:

* can now reload updated textures from file

v0.4.1:

* fixed an issue in 0.3.0-0.4.0 where the mod wouldn't work if there was no settings file
* added the settings file in the release.

Edited by Katten

• 3 weeks later...

@Katten you just saved what little remained of my sanity.  Reloading my heavily-modded install was killing my motivation, now I'm free!

One thing I did notice - the 'Rescale' value in my edited CFG still wouldn't visually update without a restart.  Don't know if that's something you're already aware of, or if I was missing something (I was switching a Micronode from 1 to 0.5 and back).

@Boop

nice to hear! In the release, the original rescale value is used, and the config file is not read from disk. It only updates the model file.  

In the pipes is an overhaul that reloads the whole config file!

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I'm giving a peek on the code in order to learn something, and found that there're missing two source files on the project, AssemblyInfo.cs and ChronoReader.cs .

@Lisias

Oopsie. It is now updated.

* AssemblyInfo.cs was indeed missing.
* ChronoReader.cs was removed earlier from the repo due to being obsolete, but the project file didn't reflect that. Now fixed in the project file.

Edited by Katten

5 hours ago, Katten said:

@DuoDex
Who do I need to get chocolate icecream in order for my links to be visisble again? =)

I would assume from @DuoDex's description that you need to use the link "Report Post" in the OP to get the mods' attention. I'm gonna grab this even though I'm not great mod maker, just so I can try making some CrewLight settings; the fact that it's no longer necessary to reboot relog to see changes in models is awesome.

ETA: I've made a report on your behalf, don't know if it's appropriate or sufficient but figured it couldn't hurt!

Edited by JH4C
Because *waves hands* things, and stuff.

7 hours ago, sumghai said:

@Katten, I have restored your download link.

Just wondering, why does the compiled version of DLL contain references to the ChronoReader class, even though the source code on your GitHub repo doesn't have a definition for it?

Thanks! Hmm, i didnt commit the dll after removing the (unused) reference from the project file, so that's probably why. Will do when i get to my laptop!

29 minutes ago, Katten said:

Thanks! Hmm, i didnt commit the dll after removing the (unused) reference from the project file, so that's probably why. Will do when i get to my laptop!

I have a personal policy to avoid committing binaries (unless as foreign assets that doesn't change). This prevented me a lot of headaches...

Packing the release and uploading on Github Release's page also make things easier for users (and automation tools).

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

I have a personal policy to avoid committing binaries (unless as foreign assets that doesn't change). This prevented me a lot of headaches...

Packing the release and uploading on Github Release's page also make things easier for users (and automation tools).

Could be. Yes, there are releases available, of the stuff that goes into the GameData folder (the mod is also available under CKAN). I'll update the release after I've had time to test that the recompiled version still works. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 1:02 AM, Barzon Kerman said:

Can this be made to work with patches and editing cfgs?

It probably can.

In other news, I'm gonna run some testing with 1.6.1 to see if it is still compatible and freshen up my memory on the source.

v0.4.2
Both models and textures still update in 1.6.1!

Things like animations and other part modules can get issues, but at least it's easy to check changes in the modelling =)

I will continue to check a bit regarding loading config files.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.